55g African River Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cadillac15, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Cadillac15Valued MemberMember

Hey all, so I wanted to make sure my stocking for my 55g would be ok. It will be having a sunsun 303 canister on it.

1 - Pantodon buchholzi (African Butterfly Fish)
    1- Synodontis Eupterus (Featherfin Squeaker)
    1 - Ctenopoma acutirostre (Leopard Bush Fish)
    1 - Hemichromis (Jewel Cichlid)
    10 - Congo Tetras (not 100% sold on these if other recommendations for a schooling fish are out there)

I'm also trying to figure out how best to set up the tank (Driftwood, Rocks, Plants, Etc). Thoughts?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'd go with a smaller syno - this species has the potential to get longer than the tank is wide (up to 12", not including tail).

Since you're not sold on the congos, what about a group of S. nigriventris? They're a syno, but they stay smaller and they'll swim happily in a group.

Be sure to have a good lid on the tank with the ABF - mine jumped through and bent back the plastic strip on the glass lid. He'd do best with live and frozen foods, too. Small crickets were a favorite with mine.

3. Cadillac15Valued MemberMember

As much as I love catfish, for some reason I'm not a big fan of the upside down ones. They just look weird to me. But, if I did, would there be a way to do those as the schooling fish and say a S. multipunctatus work in lieu of the eupterus? aka, Cuckoo Squeaker instead of Featherfin Squeaker

4. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would think that'd be fine, though you wouldn't have a lot of overlap for temperature.