55g African River Tank 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Cadillac15, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Cadillac15

Cadillac15 Valued Member Member

Hey all, so I wanted to make sure my stocking for my 55g would be ok. It will be having a sunsun 303 canister on it.

1 - Pantodon buchholzi (African Butterfly Fish)
    1- Synodontis Eupterus (Featherfin Squeaker)
    1 - Ctenopoma acutirostre (Leopard Bush Fish)
    1 - Hemichromis (Jewel Cichlid)
    10 - Congo Tetras (not 100% sold on these if other recommendations for a schooling fish are out there)

I'm also trying to figure out how best to set up the tank (Driftwood, Rocks, Plants, Etc). Thoughts?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with a smaller syno - this species has the potential to get longer than the tank is wide (up to 12", not including tail).

Since you're not sold on the congos, what about a group of S. nigriventris? They're a syno, but they stay smaller and they'll swim happily in a group.

Be sure to have a good lid on the tank with the ABF - mine jumped through and bent back the plastic strip on the glass lid. He'd do best with live and frozen foods, too. Small crickets were a favorite with mine.

3. OP
    OP
    Cadillac15

Cadillac15 Valued Member Member

As much as I love catfish, for some reason I'm not a big fan of the upside down ones. They just look weird to me. But, if I did, would there be a way to do those as the schooling fish and say a S. multipunctatus work in lieu of the eupterus? aka, Cuckoo Squeaker instead of Featherfin Squeaker

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would think that'd be fine, though you wouldn't have a lot of overlap for temperature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice