55 planted with three Cory groups

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay, my boyfriend loves cories and I'm stocking a 55 for him. He likes the look of my planted tank so there will be plants.
Right now he has three glolight tetras (moving my other two over shortly) and an Otto we saved from his nephews tank. He also has some MTS and an Amano shrimp.
I want to get two angelfish in there and I know not all cories have the same temp requirements as Angels. He wants three groups of cories (so 18 total) what three types would look best? It's black sand with stacked rocks in the back.
He also wants bettas but I told him no. I could always give him mine (she's very peaceful) but I like her in my own tank haha. So with 18 cories and two angelfish, those glolights will be okay right? I want to get him a pit of Rams as well. Temperature-wise, will these guys all work together? I know he wants more Amano shrimp, too.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sterbai, Adolfoi or Duplicareus would be some that would go with the angels, I have a large group of Adolfoi with mine, in my opinion less species in larger groups look better

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I mean I could do 15 of just one kind then. Leaves more space for other fish.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh yeah! Rainbow fish was an idea I had. The tetras are completely rehome-able by the way. They can go in his nephew's 20G tall after they sort out the water quality issue hahaha. So just to keep things easy, so far we're at
2 Angels
2 rams
15 corydoras
8 rainbow fish (Bosemani I think are the ones I like)
Now here's where it gets tricky, do I keep the five glolights? Maybe add five more and finish the school?
Then for the ottos is there space to add three or four more? The ottos plus Amano shrimp would be an excellent clean up crew team.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The otos would need a group of 6+, and they need cooler water than the rams and angels.
I would also rehome the glolights, they may be eaten by the angels when larger.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm afraid the otos may also get eaten by the Angels. You will need to stock similar-sized fish to ensure no one gets eaten/attacked etc.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The otos would need a group of 6+, and they need cooler water than the rams and angels.
I would also rehome the glolights, they may be eaten by the angels when larger.
Really? I've never heard about them needing cooler water! And if I got five more, is the temperature really a large issue for them? I know sometimes it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. Like keeping a betta in 1g instead of the suggested minimum 3 (my store actually says the minimum is 1/4 gallon but I don't think that's gonna be a happy betta). Either way, the Otto will stay in the tank until he passes because the alternative is "death tank" where a little kid feeds four times a day and doesn't scoop out dead fish.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Really? I've never heard about them needing cooler water! And if I got five more, is the temperature really a large issue for them? I know sometimes it's not as big of a deal as it's made out to be. Like keeping a betta in 1g instead of the suggested minimum 3 (my store actually says the minimum is 1/4 gallon but I don't think that's gonna be a happy betta). Either way, the Otto will stay in the tank until he passes because the alternative is "death tank" where a little kid feeds four times a day and doesn't scoop out dead fish.
It's not that they need cooler water, it's that the rams and angels need warmer water......

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm afraid the otos may also get eaten by the Angels. You will need to stock similar-sized fish to ensure no one gets eaten/attacked etc.
Yeah, but what about cories? They're okay right?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not sure if you want to go the pleco route for cleanup crew, but I dont think the otos would do well with the angels, personally.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay. So rehome the tetras. How full does that make the tank though?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So with 2 angels, 2 rams, 15 cories, and 8 boesemani rainbowfish in a 55, I'd say you have room for something like a rainbow cichlid....

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even if the Angels end up super big? I want to do something medium sized I think. I'll have a couple mollies big enough to not get eaten soon? I could add a Molly.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok but how would the Rams do if the Angels do end up super big? Cichlid on Cichlid aggression ?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even if the Angels end up super big? I want to do something medium sized I think. I'll have a couple mollies big enough to not get eaten soon? I could add a Molly.
Yes, rainbow cichlids are big enough not to be eaten. As for mollies.... yeah one would work.
Ok but how would the Rams do if the Angels do end up super big? Cichlid on Cichlid aggression ?
Rams are more bottom dwellers while angels are middle dwellers, I wouldn't worry about it.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, rainbow cichlids are big enough not to be eaten. As for mollies.... yeah one would work.

Rams are more bottom dwellers while angels are middle dwellers, I wouldn't worry about it.
The Rams won't bother my cories or shrimp though, will they? As I mentioned earlier he would like to add more Amano shrimp

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom