Help 55 Juvenile Aggressive Tank

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello,
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, cycled and been running for 1+ year. There are currently a few fish in it that are going to be removed, 4x Leopard Danios, 1x Harlequin Rasboras, 1x Peppered Cory, and maybe the bumblebee catfish. That will leave it with a single juvenile Albino Oscar. It’s been relatively peaceful towards its current tank mates except for feeding time sometimes. I don’t want to leave it alone in the 55, as the tank won’t seem filled out, so id like to do this.

1x Juv Albino Oscar
1x Redtail Shark
1x Juv Blood Parrot
1x Convict Cichlid
Or
A m/f pair of convicts instead of the blood parrot.
Peacock spiney eel instead of red tail shark

The tank will be lightly planted.
Thoughts?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A pair of convicts will take down the oscar if they decide to mate. Once the Oscar grows up he will fill the tank out. The other thing planted with an Oscar? Mine used to break heaters and rip the intake off the filter. Plants wouldnt of stood a chance. A young one and a mature one seem to be different fish.

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
A pair of convicts will take down the oscar if they decide to mate. Once the Oscar grows up he will fill the tank out. The other thing planted with an Oscar? Mine used to break heaters and rip the intake off the filter. Plants wouldnt of stood a chance. A young one and a mature one seem to be different fish.
I think that eventually that could be the case but based off the past week or so of watching it in the tank, the Oscar has been peaceful and hasn't torn up anything. The little fella really has a great personality and will sometimes follow my fingers across the tank. Thinking about it the Convict pair would probably be the most aggressive at this point. SO would the blood parrot work out instead, or just a single Convict? Spiney Eel or/and Red Tail shark? And also just by the way, the plan for planting I just a few java ferns on driftwood and rocks in the tank. There is moss and the Oscar hasn't even touched it.
I'd like to get a few other juvenile fish right now that could go with the Oscar and eventually be moved into a larger aquarium down the road. The 55 Gallon is not their long term future

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh oscars are fun. Like underwater dogs. Mine would jump for food. Follow you across the tank. Bite you. He was a blast till he decided he didnt want to be confined in the tank. He hit the end so hard it blew it out. Lol. When their young their pretty docile so I'm not sure of the eel I never really looked into them. The red tail should be able to stead clear and a single convict I feel could hold its own. The blood parrot I'm undecided. I will have to think on that one a little harder. Another possibility if your willing to move it to another big tank would be a jack dempsey. The jack once mature would have to be on his own. If you went the single convict and red tail route those 2 should be able to be kept together long term. Even a pair of convicts if you move them once they decide to spawn should be able able to be kept with the red tail. The biggest caution I will give you with a convict pair is once they figure out the raising young ones thing they are worse then guppies. I stripped my breeding tank to bare bottom and that didn't even slow down the population increase. At one time I think I had more fish then water in a 55 gallon tank full of them. I couldnt even give them away fast enough.

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
david1978 said:
Oh oscars are fun. Like underwater dogs. Mine would jump for food. Follow you across the tank. Bite you. He was a blast till he decided he didnt want to be confined in the tank. He hit the end so hard it blew it out. Lol. When their young their pretty docile so I'm not sure of the eel I never really looked into them. The red tail should be able to stead clear and a single convict I feel could hold its own. The blood parrot I'm undecided. I will have to think on that one a little harder. Another possibility if your willing to move it to another big tank would be a jack dempsey. The jack once mature would have to be on his own. If you went the single convict and red tail route those 2 should be able to be kept together long term. Even a pair of convicts if you move them once they decide to spawn should be able able to be kept with the red tail. The biggest caution I will give you with a convict pair is once they figure out the raising young ones thing they are worse then guppies. I stripped my breeding tank to bare bottom and that didn't even slow down the population increase. At one time I think I had more fish then water in a 55 gallon tank full of them. I couldnt even give them away fast enough.
Thanks for the response. I am at the LFS right now picking up food for my new RCS and they have a few convicts and one with nice coloration for its size, so I think I’m going to take it home with me and see how it goes with the Oscar. If it goes well I might get the red tail or the eel in a few weeks. The eel here at the lfs is 4 or so inches so it’d be able to hold its own definitely for the time being especially with the hiding spots. But I am going to wait and see what happens first. Thanks for the advice

OP
AquaMan3640

AquaMan3640

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update :

Add in java ferns and convict. So far the Oscar has been kind to it and vice versa. Here’s a pic of the new addition - I’m loving its colors.

Image1585169820.066249.jpg

New Threads