55 Hob Advice

1. 1

1fish2fishnewfish New Member Member

I have a 55 gallon that’s my main community tank currently I have 2 aqueon 50s and a aqueon 20 and a large dual sponge filter . I would like to go down to 1 single filter that can handle the tank will a aquaclear 110 do the job of all 3 hobs or something else? also very densely planted tank.

Stock (if you want to know):
    10 corys
    5 banjos
    1 Raphael
    5 otos
    5 Khulis
    10 rasboras
    3 Madagascar rainbows
    2 abilno bristlenose plecos
    3 female betas
    Bamboo and rcs

Attached Files:

2. Raizinhell

Raizinhell Valued Member Member

Just look at the rating of the filter. It will say how gallons per hour filtered and do some basic math to figure it out

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I have aquaclear 70's for my 55's but wish i would of gone with the 110's. I have an ac 110 on my 75 and have never found a need for extra filtration beyond that even when it was properly stocked.
    SIde question. How in the world did you get away with just 3 bettas? Mine just wanted to fight till i added more. Lol

4. OP
    OP

1fish2fishnewfish New Member Member

Maybe it’s all the plants and hornwort but they don’t pay any attention to 1 another ‍♂️ But you think a single 110 would suffice instead of the 3

5. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

It should. At different times i have had the need to add some kind of wavemaker/circulation pump to help move more water around in the tank since i had dirty fish but you shouldn't have that issue with your stocking.