55 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If it pulls through, I may be getting the full hook up, 55g with lights, heater, filter, and stand for pretty much free.

I want a large semi/aggressive fish...what would be a cool fish to put in there? I like Oscars, Flowerhorns....fish of that color and exoticness

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cichlids, cichlids, cichlids.

You'd need to make it a species tank, and be prepared to setup territories for them to defend.

Not suggesting you mix these species, but mbunas, zebras, convicts, oscars are all territorial. You could get a big population of Shell dwellers in there, they can be territorial/aggressive.

And I'm not sure if it'd work, but Angels for your top dwellers would fill out the tank

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could only put a single Oscar in a 55gal with no tankmates at all. Flowerhorns need an even bigger minimum tank size for just the one IMO. A big school of Tiger Barbs would be fine for a single species tank.

A colony of Red Jewels (Hemichromis Bimaculatus) or Blood Red Jewels (Hemichromis Lifalili) would be nice. A Jack Dempsey or a Salvini (Nandopsis Salvini). Perhaps a Jack Dempsey & a Firemouth together (maybe). Angelfish with some peacefull shoaling species or even a colony of Red-Hump Eartheaters (Geophagus Steindachnere). You could do a Tropheus species tank (Rift lake cichlid) full of something like White-Spotted Cichlid (Tropheus Duboisi). There are options for a mbuna tank also.

The best way is for you to look at pictures of fish you might be interested in keeping, write down thier names & then ask about them here 7 search for information & profiles on them using the net.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Pacu's get enormous. My opinion is that these fish should not be sold for home aquariums. I've seen them in a 125g tank, the fish was 26 inches and had no room to turn around. Obviously I don't recommend them.

Ken

Tanman19az

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good morning,

Pacu's get enormous. My opinion is that these fish should not be sold for home aquariums. I've seen them in a 125g tank, the fish was 26 inches and had no room to turn around. Obviously I don't recommend them.

Ken
wow! i didnt think they got that big!

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it pulls through, I may be getting the full hook up, 55g with lights, heater, filter, and stand for pretty much free.

I want a large semi/aggressive fish...what would be a cool fish to put in there? I like Oscars, Flowerhorns....fish of that color and exoticness
If you still have that single juvie discus in the 20 gallon, I would strongly suggest using the 55 as a discus grow out tank and adding a few more discus. JMO.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been wanting to get a large tank for an oscar but it doesn't belong in a 55g IMO. If it's got the dimensions that I'm thinking of, it's only 12" wide and the oscar can potentially grow larger than that. It's a fairly long and tall tank so angels would appreciate that tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom