55 gallon

Ladyy

Im very excited to finally almost be through my cycle on my planted 55 gallon tank..

Now fish lol best ideas? I want a community tank :)

JPH1970

Im very excited to finally almost be through my cycle on my planted 55 gallon tank..

Well I'm extremely partial to celestial pearl danios. One day I'll successfully have a tank of them.

I'm hoping someone else can do one before me

sattelmauser

With a tank that size, you have lots of options. When i am experienced enough for a tank that big (or bigger) I'd like to have some Roseline Sharks or other larger fishes and a bunch or rummynose tetras.

JettsPapa

You might check out "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in my 40 gallon breeder and 65 gallon tanks. I'm pretty happy with both of them, and similar stocking should work in a 55.

Ladyy

You might check out "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in my 40 gallon breeder and 65 gallon tanks. I'm pretty happy with both of them, and similar stocking should work in a 55.
Im loving the 65 gallon. I want to do some gourami and angelfish definitely corys.. But im.not sure what else

JLAquatics

Im loving the 65 gallon. I want to do some gourami and angelfish definitely corys.. But im.not sure what else
A nice big school of Tetras or Rasboras would look stunning with all the fish mentioned above. If you do this, stick with one or two types and get a large number of them instead of getting a few of many types of Tetras or Rasboras. Also make sure you get some of the larger species as Angelfish and larger Gourami can eat the smaller Tetras and Rasbora species.

Ladyy

A nice big school of Tetras or Rasboras would look stunning with all the fish mentioned above. If you do this, stick with one or two types and get a large number of them instead of getting a few of many types of Tetras or Rasboras.
Which gourami would be best.. And should i have only 1 angelfish..

JLAquatics

I have never owned them, but I have heard from multiple sources that Pearl Gouramis make a great community fish (not particularly aggressive) and get a bit larger than your average fish. A smaller group of Pearl Gouramis swimming amongst a large school of Tetras or Rasboras would look awesome alongside a nice sized school of Cories on the bottom. As for Angels, I will let another member answer that as I am not experienced with keeping them.

Ladyy

I have never owned them, but I have heard from multiple sources that Pearl Gouramis make a great community fish (not particularly aggressive) and get a bit larger than your average fish. A smaller group of Pearl Gouramis swimming amongst a large school of Tetras or Rasboras would look awesome alongside a nice sized school of Cories on the bottom. As for Angels, I will let another member answer that as I am not experienced with keeping them.
They look very pretty :)

JettsPapa

Intuitively I'd be reluctant to have an angelfish and gouramis in the same tank, but it might be okay. Hopefully someone who has had both will comment.

I will second the nomination for pearl gouramis. They're beautiful fish, and do fine in groups.

Ladyy

Intuitively I'd be reluctant to have an angelfish and gouramis in the same tank, but it might be okay. Hopefully someone who has had both will comment.

I will second the nomination for pearl gouramis. They're beautiful fish, and do fine in groups.
From what I've read they would be okay as long as they arent aggressive gourami but i dont know... I will talk to the fish guy tomorrow lol

JLAquatics

From what I've read they would be okay as long as they arent aggressive gourami but i dont know... I will talk to the fish guy tomorrow lol
There is one more thing that should be mentioned just in case you are not aware of it yet. Whatever fish you choose to go in this tank, I cannot stress enough to not add everything at once. Start with small batches and build up your community that way. Your water parameters will have just balanced out from a fishless cycle, but can still fluctuate to dangerous levels with the addition of large stocks. I just wanted to remind you in case you were thinking of adding fish soon.
On another note we would love to see pictures of your tank when it is fully stocked, it sounds like it will be awesome! ;)

Ladyy

There is one more thing that should be mentioned just in case you are not aware of it yet. Whatever fish you choose to go in this tank, I cannot stress enough to not add everything at once. Start with small batches and build up your community that way. Your water parameters will have just balanced out from a fishless cycle, but can still fluctuate to dangerous levels with the addition of large stocks. I just wanted to remind you in case you were thinking of adding fish soon.
On another note we would love to see pictures of your tank when it is fully stocked, it sounds like it will be awesome! ;)
I have read alot and though i would love to add all fish at once.. I made that mistake with my 29 gallon lol.. And it took me a million water changes to keep the water okay.. And i am still fighting high nitrate.. So no i wont add them all.. Lol maybe some tetra and gourami at first them add every two weeks :) thank you!!

JPH1970

I have read alot and though i would love to add all fish at once.. I made that mistake with my 29 gallon lol.. And it took me a million water changes to keep the water okay.. And i am still fighting high nitrate.. So no i wont add them all.. Lol maybe some tetra and gourami at first them add every two weeks :) thank you!!
A million water changes or tetra safestart plus. I swear by that stuff

SouthAmericanCichlids

4 angels minimum imo. They are very social fish so 1 wouldn't be good, with 2 you could do a mated pair but not just 2 random ones, you can go through them just trying to get them to mate, but 2 random ones, one will destroy the other, 3 a similar problem occurs, with 4 the aggression is diluted enough that no one gets seriously injured. I speak from experience... As for gouramis, I will actually be trying this in my 55g, if I get them before you get yours, I'll tell you how it goes.

Ladyy

4 angels minimum imo. They are very social fish so 1 wouldn't be good, with 2 you could do a mated pair but not just 2 random ones, you can go through them just trying to get them to mate, but 2 random ones, one will destroy the other, 3 a similar problem occurs, with 4 the aggression is diluted enough that no one gets seriously injured. As for gouramis, I will actually be trying this in my 55g, if I get them before you get yours, I'll tell you how it goes.
I will definitely try with 4.. Thanks so much

joe919

With a tank that size, you have lots of options. When i am experienced enough for a tank that big (or bigger) I'd like to have some Roseline Sharks or other larger fishes and a bunch or rummynose tetras.
I have a 90g tank with 10 Roseline Sharks, they definitly schooling fish, you can add other Australian rainbow fish, or a group of barbs. Make sure that you don't over crowded your tank. Or you have the option to go with Guppies, swordtails, platies. All depends what type of fish do you like.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.JPG
    IMG_2852.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 15

Ladyy

I have a 90g tank with 10 Roseline Sharks, they definitly schooling fish, you can add other Australian rainbow fish, or a group of barbs. Make sure that you don't over crowded your tank. Or you have the option to go with Guppies, swordtails, platies. All depends what type of fish do you like.
Those are beautiful.

SouthAmericanCichlids

If you are going to do angels and want some schooling fish ideas, here are some: Lemon tetras, many rainbowfish, silver hatchets, marbled hatchets, skirt tetras, Red phantom, black phantom tetras, rosy tetras, buenos aeres tetras, bleeding heart tetra, candy cane tetra, serpae tetras. And I'm sure there are some larger barb species that aren't very nippy that could go with them, but I don't know much of barbs. Basically any fish with either a taller body shape (Most will be shaped like the red phantom tetra), or is 3+ in.

Ladyy

If you are going to do angels and want some schooling fish ideas, here are some: Lemon tetras, many rainbowfish, silver hatchets, marbled hatchets, skirt tetras, Red phantom, black phantom tetras, rosy tetras, buenos aeres tetras, bleeding heart tetra, candy cane tetra, serpae tetras. And I'm sure there are some larger barb species that aren't very nippy that could go with them, but I don't know much of barbs. Basically any fish with either a taller body shape (Most will be shaped like the red phantom tetra), or is 3+ in.
Thank you so much for all the ideas :)

Nopsu

Some tetra are fin nippers like the skirt tetra and ive heard phantom ones do it too. =( will definitely not go well with angels nor gourami due long fins and feelers but i think all the other ones will be quite fine!

Also for gourami i really love Pearl gourami too! Just need to make sure you preferably only have one male or atleast way more females to makes as with most gourami. Honey gourami is also nice option if you want one that is a bit smaller in size but I would not suggest any other variation for this community.

Also my favourite shoaling fish are rummy nose tetra, lemon tetra, cardinal tetra and harlequin rasbora!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Many rumors have been started about fish like serpae tetras, skirt tetras, etc. that they are fin-nippers. But they aren't, these were started by people who have kept them in schools under 6, but if you keep them in groups over 6 they're fine, I know plenty of people who've successfully kept these fish with angels without nipping.

Cardinals and rummynoses could easily be eaten by an angel. I'd also be wary of harlequins, they have a little taller of a body shape, but I don't think tall enough.

Nopsu

Many rumors have been started about fish like serpae tetras, skirt tetras, etc. that they are fin-nippers. But they aren't, these were started by people who have kept them in schools under 6, but if you keep them in groups over 6 they're fine, I know plenty of people who've successfully kept these fish with angels without nipping.
True is that proper size of shoal culls most bad behaviour, I just have personal experience of housing one 3 spot gourami with 12 black skirt and they would nip him :/ you might make any tetra work with good setup but I would still be wary of the possibility

Ladyy

I am headed to the fishstore today.. The angels will probably be my last stock.. So I wanna build towards them to make sure its a good home for them.. I love the pearl and honey gourami.. So I'm definitely be choosing one of then.. How many should i get? And i have platy in my 29 gallon and they have already had fry lol so i dont want a bunch of babies i cant keep. Thats why i was thinking something different like tetra.. Maybe neons or cardinals.. There are just so many options

Nopsu

Cardinals and rummynoses could easily be eaten by an angel. I'd also be wary of harlequins, they have a little taller of a body shape, but I don't think tall enough.
Rummy nose should be big enough when full grown 2-3'' (depending on exact species), cardinals might be too small. Lemons should be fine too unless they are babies.
I am headed to the fishstore today.. The angels will probably be my last stock.. So I wanna build towards them to make sure its a good home for them.. I love the pearl and honey gourami.. So I'm definitely be choosing one of then.. How many should i get? And i have platy in my 29 gallon and they have already had fry lol so i dont want a bunch of babies i cant keep. Thats why i was thinking something different like tetra.. Maybe neons or cardinals.. There are just so many options
Gouramis are fairly hardy so they could be first or second on the list, I would add cories last as they are most sensitive to new tanks and water parameter changes from all the fish you listed

Ladyy

Rummy nose should be big enough when full grown 2-3'' (depending on exact species), cardinals might be too small. Lemons should be fine too unless they are babies.

Gouramis are fairly hardy so they could be first or second on the list, I would add cories last as they are most sensitive to new tanks and water parameter changes from all the fish you listed
Okay great.. I'm remember that.. I definitely want some cories..i love them lol

SouthAmericanCichlids

Ok, don't quote me on this, but from seeing many different peoples experience, if you start tiny fish with angels and raise them together, they won't eat them, but if you add them when they are full grown, they'll eat them. I don't know, I was doing some research a while back, I mean to test it, but can't yet, I'm quarantine other fish so I have no room to quarantine them. But otherwise I'd be wary of doing cardinals or neons.

Ladyy

Ok, don't quote me on this, but from seeing many different peoples experience, if you start tiny fish with angels and raise them together, they won't eat them, but if you add them when they are full grown, they'll eat them. I don't know, I was doing some research a while back, I mean to test it, but can't yet, I'm quarantine other fish so I have no room to quarantine them. But otherwise I'd be wary of doing cardinals or neons.
Okay im gonna look and see what i like lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Papasmerf73
Replies
Views
dimitrinivo
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies