55 gallon...

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Shortfuuzze, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

Recently aquired a 55 gallon tank...will slowly be buying new equipment over the new few weeks to get the new tank set up. Right now I have an angelfish and some tetras that will be moving from a 26 bow to the 55.

My question is....does anyone recommend the fluval 306?? I currently have 2 hob filters and love them but I've heard cannister filters get the water cleaner and clearer, I figure it being a larger tank the cannister is the way to go.

Please weigh in.......also I was thinking of going with sand for the substrate in the 55

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes the Fluval 306 is excellent for a 55'gallon. I believe sparkles22 has it for her 55. I have the 406 for my 75 gallon and the water is shining. Tons of room to put filter media and you can't even hearing it running. Also have a 206 for a 40 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have sand in my 55 gal and I love it! Super easy to clean, it looks so nice, and my cory cats love it!

4. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnne Valued Member Member

I agree with Dom90, I have the same on my 65 gallon and am super happy with it, the quality is great and have had no trouble.

And I have always enjoyed sand a bit more, and my plants seem to do better. But it does depend on the type of fish too... it always comes back to that, doesn't it?

5. TexasDomer

I don't know of any fish that prefer gravel instead of sand, though many prefer sand over gravel. Are there any that prefer gravel?

6. TracyLeeAnne

TracyLeeAnne Valued Member Member

@TexasDormer... Oh, then you're overdue to meet a Betta! Though they're not appropriate for a 55g!

And I think gravel is easier to clean, IMHO of course :)

7. TexasDomer

Good to know! Maybe I should revise... I don't know of any that prefer gravel that would do well in a 55g community :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice