55 Gallon Work Tank Re-seal

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The guy who gave me the tank actually offered to give me these two gold severums also that are huge. I don’t think the 55 is big enough honestly. He said he adopted them from a friend and they killed all of his fish he already had. Lol they are healthy looking fish though!
c80f569f42d0d21c9191e66d01566935.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How long do plan on letting it cure ?
I like it to set longer than 24 hours so if I wait until around 5 o’clock tomorrow before I leave work I should be able to put water in it and let it set all night tomorrow and come in Friday to see if it leaks. I would prefer to wait until Friday giving me 48 hrs but I don’t want to put water in it and leave it all weekend just in case it does decide to leak.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would wait till Monday at least ...
Most tanks I have EVER seen new were atleast 90 days past manufacture date before they hit the sales floor .
I have heard of people filling 48 hours after sealing ..Makes me more then nervous ..I wouldn't ..I might wait a week or more myself ? The seal is more then water tight it is structural integrity IMO..
I wonder what part of the hobby is the patient part sometimes ?

Just me no one else ever showed the same concern on this as me ..I am not the nervous type , I like to think I am sensible ?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks good. Wanna do another LOL
I suppose it is time to stop procrastinating and do the 55 that sprung a leak a few months ago.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would wait till Monday at least ...
Most tanks I have EVER seen new were atleast 90 days past manufacture date before they hit the sales floor .
I have heard of people filling 48 hours after sealing ..Makes me more then nervous ..I wouldn't ..I might wait a week or more myself ? The seal is more then water tight it is structural integrity IMO..
I wonder what part of the hobby is the patient part sometimes ?

Just me no one else ever showed the same concern on this as me ..I am not the nervous type , I like to think I am sensible ?
Your right I let the 65 cure for no less than 48 hours before I decided to leak test that. I may just wait until Monday. Atm I don’t have a filter for it to get it running anyway. I plan to use some seeded media from my discus tank to seed the 55. I have about half a bag of bio balls I added to the 65 to build some BB while I work on getting stuff for the 55 gathered up.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you keep it bare bottom those fish should be fine Chinese places put 10-20 of those fish in a single tank and they look fully grown.
I’m not Chinese lol nor would I do that unless I had a lot of filtration. Lol I just don’t like housing big fish unless I plan to add more large aggressive fish’s which I’m not. And I want to do a piece of driftwood and sand with some plants in the middle fanning outward so it looks good from both sides of the tank.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is the messy line that I mentioned previously. Although it doesn’t look the best it is on the opposite side of where the leak was located and from what I can see has a good seal and nice thickness. I don’t believe it’s anything to worry about. Just wanted to show that I’m not perfect and I do make mistakes. Once the tape is pulled up there is pretty much no turning back to “fix” anything so have to hope for the best! Tank is dry, almost no smell left. Still going to wait until Monday next week to add water and let set over night.
934e01c380c486294a6ac2f9d6387d7a.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There we have it. What once was a 55 gallon tank that had a leak has now held water for 24 hours. Draining out the window then moving to it new permanent location!
66f7adc868d3dbeb497aa7126e15b857.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Busy busy ,,New baby , 20g reef [just found that thread ] and this ..
The discus and wife will be jelly soon ! ;)

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Some sand on one side for the Cory’s for later when I get them. Bringing in plants tomorrow tied to lava rock for bare side. Will slowly fill with plants and fish as time goes. Running a sponge filter just to keep water moving until I can get a HOB. Going to add more sponge filters later possibly? I have two more spare at home just need a pump. Still have to get a heater. Tank is setting at 72 degrees Fahrenheit now. Temp in building stays pretty consistent. No worries there. But anyway here she is!
c63f0ac15a66c5fe6c1e0bfb43c9c47c.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Went and picked up 7 peppered Cory’s today. Acclimating and putting in shortly. Still just a sponge and heater. Half sand half bare bottom with tied plants. They should be fun to watch! :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom