55 Gallon Work Tank Re-seal

Thedudeiam94

Just snagged a 55 gallon tan with hood lights and stand for FREE. All at the expense of having to go pick it up and reseal it (which I have done before and have no problem doing) I have cleaned and scraped the old crummy silicone out and will be leaving the tank to set and dry over night. Tomorrow I will clean and scrub with 100% pure acetone to get as clean of a surface as possible may even tape... anyway I will be slowly setting this tank up and intend on having a low-tech set up with some plants and sand and some type of driftwood and hard scape. Any thoughts as to how to make it look or what to stock it with, please feel free to join in the fun and shoot me some ideas!!! I am leaning toward the community route and get some rams (two pair) from the famous coralbandit !! no idea what other fish to add. Definitely a school of tetras (12) and not sure what else at the moment. Any recommendations that you guys and gals would like to see?!
This is the tank after cleaning and scraping out old silicone. Also, no, that will not be it’s final resting place either.

NatureFine

Setting up a new tank is always fun! So you want a community setup? Sounds cool. Just saying, have you considered a species only tank? Having maybe 2 male convicts and 3 female convicts would be an enjoyable and fun tank to always watch!
Anyways, community, right. Here are some stocking suggestions:

Stocking Plan 1:

Angelfish (4) Introduce these last.
Pepper Cory Catfish (6)
Bristlenose Pleco (1)
Black Skirt Tetra or Lemon Tetra or Black Phantom Tetra (6)
Bolivian Ram (2)
This is like a South American Tank.

Stocking Plan 2:

Pearl GouramI (3) or Opaline GouramI (2)
Celestial Pearl Danio or Cherry Barbs (12)
KuhlI Loaches (6)
Rainbow Shark (1) I'm not actually sure if they would be fine with the danios as celestial pearl danio sare quite small and the rainbow shark may pick on them but it may work out.
This is an Asian themed tank.

Stocking Plan 3:

Rainbowfish are very nice fish. Get a variety 3 of each different type of rainbowfish as they like to be in groups. They are a little pricey besides the Australian Rainbowfish and this is an Australian Tank. Hope this gives some ideas. Just looking at this, I'm thinking to myself, why don't I do this? And anyone, please let me know if you find any fault in my stocking plans mentioned.

coralbandit

Nice score !
Late here as I never got the tag ? Still not in my alerts 4 hours later ??
Make sure to ventilate , wear gloves and eye protection when using the acetone .
I would say cardinals if I ever had any luck but ?? Rummy nose with Sterbia cories are the typical ram stock list ...
Something colorful to contrast the hopefully very dark fish you want ?
The super red plecos look good with them..

Dennis57

Very nice, can't wait to see it finished

Thedudeiam94

Will be scraping out excess silicone today. A good razor blade is key when cleaning out silicone pieces. Once I feel that I have scraped out all that I can by hand, I will wipe the interior down with acetone at least 3 times. Then it will set to dry the rest of the day. This is the most important part of resealing a tank! Any particles of silicone left inside the tank or in any crease will create an air pocket between the silicone and the glass compromising the seal once it has dried. Putting you at risk for a tank leak or the possibility of mold growing beneath the seal. So it’s very important to get the tank as clean as possible. Slow and steady wins the race!

jmaldo

Tank build the possibilities. Just started gathering "Plants" for mine. Watching!

Thedudeiam94

jmaldo said:
Tank build the possibilities. Just started gathering "Plants" for mine. Watching!

I actually have some left over plants from my last tank I will be adding to the “work tank” also! Some ferns, amazon swords, and a few others! Was contemplating a plant pack from Buceplant! Considering the fact I still have my diy co2 Kit I really want to try some super reds again. The lighting works and has a “pinkish” colored bulb. So I may look into plant bulbs for those also. Just have to consider the fact that if I get some rams from coralbandit like I intend to I need to make sure my plant selection is able to handle those slightly higher temperatures. Will post a pick shortly of where the tank will be place once it’s set up. One was there previously a few years ago before they hired a new boss. I’m guessing they removed it when they left? But the area is already loaded with electrical outlets and perfect for a fish tank so thankfully I won’t need the stand that it came with (which was actually around 1/4 inch too short) I wasn’t very comfortable with a slinger 55 gallon tank on a stand that is not as wide as the tank its self. So I dodged a bullet on that one! I know I’ll definitely want some:
Cory’s-6 to 8
Schooling fish-12
Rams-4 (2 pair)
Some sort of centerpiece fish(s)
That’s about all I can come up with at he moment lol

86 ssinit

This is available!! Know you were looking .
Lol.

Thedudeiam94

Silicone removed and wiped down with acetone and tried to brush little particles into middle of tank. Will vacuum the small prices or and wipe down with acetone, let dry, then wipe it down again. Next I will need to tape the inside of the tank leaving a 1/4 inch gap on both sides of every corner of the tank giving an even “track” for when I apply the silicone. Like they say in collision repair “your tape job will make or break your paint job” so it’s important to take your time and make sure the lines are as straight as possible.

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit What all do you have in your fish room available?

This is where the tank will be placed once finished. It is under the front counter and the top of that area lifts up with 2 “lids” I also have 4 outlets and have zip tied an additional power strip on the right side.

86 ssinit

Just make sure the base of that stand is supported. Looks like it is not sitting on the outside walls. So no support there. That looks like a old tv stand and the only support may be a center wall to split the space below. If no doors in the front I would lay that piece down and see what’s going on underneath.

Thedudeiam94

86 ssinit said:
Just make sure the base of that stand is supported. Looks like it is not sitting on the outside walls. So no support there. That looks like a old tv stand and the only support may be a center wall to split the space below. If no doors in the front I would lay that piece down and see what’s going on underneath.
It is actually going in the space below where the glass is that says advertising. This is what I meant by “door”/“lid” above.

Thedudeiam94

Tank is taped up! It will get another wipe down with acetone and then it will be ready for silicone!

coralbandit

Thedudeiam94 said:
coralbandit What all do you have in your fish room available?
I have rams of most every color and hybrid . All the colors I have ever had are in stock at different sizes [ not all are listed though ] .
I have White Albino swordtails , Electric Blue Acara ,Red Picta ,and Super Red plecos ..
I am raising young Red Alpha and Ed Parker Jet Black swordtails..

For a center piece fish I think discus would go great with rams ,but what do I know ? ..When a pair forms for you move them into the 55??
I hate to suggest the most expensive fish in the world but Zebra plecos [ L046] are also excellent companions to disc and rams as far as heat and diet go ..
I am hoping to add to my 5 I got last time I went to NJ when I go to the Aquatic Expo .. [ hoping..]

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit said:
I have rams of most every color and hybrid . All the colors I have ever had are in stock at different sizes [ not all are listed though ] .
I have White Albino swordtails , Electric Blue Acara ,Red Picta ,and Super Red plecos ..
I am raising young Red Alpha and Ed Parker Jet Black swordtails..

For a center piece fish I think discus would go great with rams ,but what do I know ? ..When a pair forms for you move them into the 55??
I hate to suggest the most expensive fish in the world but Zebra plecos [ L046] are also excellent companions to disc and rams as far as heat and diet go ..
I am hoping to add to my 5 I got last time I went to NJ when I go to the Aquatic Expo .. [ hoping..]
Was seeing if I could just get a community sticker from you but I’ll for sure want a school of something. Definitely looking into those black rams though! Maybe 2 pair? I also considered on the discus pairing in the future and keeping the 55 lightly stocked just in case I have some mating aggression in the future. So maybe 2 black ram pairs and a super red pleco for now? Driftwood and plants with sand?

Thedudeiam94

And here it is newly seals and curing!

Thedudeiam94

Seam up close.

coralbandit

Nice job there on that !
That will be cool having fish in the case .

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit said:
Nice job there on that !
That will be cool having fish in the case .
Thanks! I’ve noticed with this tank it was much harder to get a solid bead along the bottom. Due to the fact that the tank it long and “thin” I had a more difficult time along the bottom lines while trying not to bash the side of the tank with the caulk gun. But all in all I got a nice thick bead and clean up was a breeze. One side of one line got a little messy because the tape pulled off and swirled but it’s nothing I think that needs to be worried about. Still can’t declare it a success until it holds water for 24 hours... once it finished curing that will be what determines if my seal job was “good enough” or not.

coralbandit

How long do plan on letting it cure ?

Thedudeiam94

The guy who gave me the tank actually offered to give me these two gold severums also that are huge. I don’t think the 55 is big enough honestly. He said he adopted them from a friend and they killed all of his fish he already had. Lol they are healthy looking fish though!

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit said:
How long do plan on letting it cure ?
I like it to set longer than 24 hours so if I wait until around 5 o’clock tomorrow before I leave work I should be able to put water in it and let it set all night tomorrow and come in Friday to see if it leaks. I would prefer to wait until Friday giving me 48 hrs but I don’t want to put water in it and leave it all weekend just in case it does decide to leak.

coralbandit

I would wait till Monday at least ...
Most tanks I have EVER seen new were atleast 90 days past manufacture date before they hit the sales floor .
I have heard of people filling 48 hours after sealing ..Makes me more then nervous ..I wouldn't ..I might wait a week or more myself ? The seal is more then water tight it is structural integrity IMO..
I wonder what part of the hobby is the patient part sometimes ?

Just me no one else ever showed the same concern on this as me ..I am not the nervous type , I like to think I am sensible ?

jmaldo

Looks good. Wanna do another LOL
I suppose it is time to stop procrastinating and do the 55 that sprung a leak a few months ago.

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit said:
I would wait till Monday at least ...
Most tanks I have EVER seen new were atleast 90 days past manufacture date before they hit the sales floor .
I have heard of people filling 48 hours after sealing ..Makes me more then nervous ..I wouldn't ..I might wait a week or more myself ? The seal is more then water tight it is structural integrity IMO..
I wonder what part of the hobby is the patient part sometimes ?

Just me no one else ever showed the same concern on this as me ..I am not the nervous type , I like to think I am sensible ?
Your right I let the 65 cure for no less than 48 hours before I decided to leak test that. I may just wait until Monday. Atm I don’t have a filter for it to get it running anyway. I plan to use some seeded media from my discus tank to seed the 55. I have about half a bag of bio balls I added to the 65 to build some BB while I work on getting stuff for the 55 gathered up.

Jimmie93

If you keep it bare bottom those fish should be fine Chinese places put 10-20 of those fish in a single tank and they look fully grown.

Thedudeiam94

Jimmie93 said:
If you keep it bare bottom those fish should be fine Chinese places put 10-20 of those fish in a single tank and they look fully grown.
I’m not Chinese lol nor would I do that unless I had a lot of filtration. Lol I just don’t like housing big fish unless I plan to add more large aggressive fish’s which I’m not. And I want to do a piece of driftwood and sand with some plants in the middle fanning outward so it looks good from both sides of the tank.

Thedudeiam94

Here is the messy line that I mentioned previously. Although it doesn’t look the best it is on the opposite side of where the leak was located and from what I can see has a good seal and nice thickness. I don’t believe it’s anything to worry about. Just wanted to show that I’m not perfect and I do make mistakes. Once the tape is pulled up there is pretty much no turning back to “fix” anything so have to hope for the best! Tank is dry, almost no smell left. Still going to wait until Monday next week to add water and let set over night.

Thedudeiam94

Leak testing this bad boy today! So far it’s been 2 hours! No leaks!

Thedudeiam94

There we have it. What once was a 55 gallon tank that had a leak has now held water for 24 hours. Draining out the window then moving to it new permanent location!

Thedudeiam94

From above.

“Front” view. Lights on. Can’t really tell though.

MomeWrath

Whatcha gonna put in it???

coralbandit

Busy busy ,,New baby , 20 gallon reef [just found that thread ] and this ..
The discus and wife will be jelly soon !

Thedudeiam94

coralbandit said:
Busy busy ,,New baby , 20 gallon reef [just found that thread ] and this ..
The discus and wife will be jelly soon !
Honestly I am like chicken with my head cut off. I like it though. Lol

Thedudeiam94

Some sand on one side for the Cory’s for later when I get them. Bringing in plants tomorrow tied to lava rock for bare side. Will slowly fill with plants and fish as time goes. Running a sponge filter just to keep water moving until I can get a HOB. Going to add more sponge filters later possibly? I have two more spare at home just need a pump. Still have to get a heater. Tank is setting at 72 degrees Fahrenheit now. Temp in building stays pretty consistent. No worries there. But anyway here she is!

Thedudeiam94

Plants..

Thedudeiam94

Other side..

Thedudeiam94

Went and picked up 7 peppered Cory’s today. Acclimating and putting in shortly. Still just a sponge and heater. Half sand half bare bottom with tied plants. They should be fun to watch!

Thedudeiam94

Test strips for work tank. Parameters are all perfect if you asked me.

Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Work tank update. Lost one Cory last night. Added some fluval stratum substrate and terra-cotta pots I had left from last set up. Also added some extra plants I had that were over growing my small snail tank. Planning to add another small bag of sand to lighten up the darker substrate along with more plants later.

Thedudeiam94

It’s dark when I leave work now and this is what we’re working with. Added 10 neons. Now idk what to do with it lol

Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94

Well all the tetra I added I lost to a fight with ich! They just could handle the pressure I guess... exactly why I don’t like buying from lfs. I just emails the owner about treating their tanks and hopefully no one else has the same problem! Upped the temp to 80 F Cory’s going fine. Also down to 5 of those I think! Added two angelfish. Going to see how they do! Hoping to grow them out and add more later! Changing water every Friday before the weekend of about 30% hopefully no more problems out of this tank for a while. Considering adding an internal canister maybe? If not two more sponges will suffice for the time being. Sorry I’ve been dormant here lately!! Hope everyone is staying warm out there!

Thedudeiam94

The angels

jmaldo

Nice!

Thedudeiam94

Update: 3 angels 4 peppered Cory’s. Angels about quarter size now. Growing and coloring up nicely. Any thoughts on type of angel? Silver body with black stripes (not always showing) Goldish heads along with reddish color trialing top dorsal.

Thedudeiam94

angelcraze bizaliz3 maybe one of you know?

angelcraze

Thedudeiam94 said:
angelcraze bizaliz3 maybe one of you know?
I think they are beautiful silvers with some nice dark bars. Possibly manacupuru mix since you mentioned the reddish dorsal, but I can't tell, just manacupuru have the red shoulders.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom