55 Gallon Work Tank Re-seal

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just snagged a 55 gallon tan with hood lights and stand for FREE. All at the expense of having to go pick it up and reseal it (which I have done before and have no problem doing) I have cleaned and scraped the old crummy silicone out and will be leaving the tank to set and dry over night. Tomorrow I will clean and scrub with 100% pure acetone to get as clean of a surface as possible may even tape... anyway I will be slowly setting this tank up and intend on having a low-tech set up with some plants and sand and some type of driftwood and hard scape. Any thoughts as to how to make it look or what to stock it with, please feel free to join in the fun and shoot me some ideas!!! I am leaning toward the community route and get some rams (two pair) from the famous @coralbandit !! no idea what other fish to add. Definitely a school of tetras (12) and not sure what else at the moment. Any recommendations that you guys and gals would like to see?!
This is the tank after cleaning and scraping out old silicone. Also, no, that will not be it’s final resting place either.
3c44addb1a7981f4674520e30ebe5ceb.jpg

NatureFine

Valued Member
Reaction score
Setting up a new tank is always fun! So you want a community setup? Sounds cool. Just saying, have you considered a species only tank? Having maybe 2 male convicts and 3 female convicts would be an enjoyable and fun tank to always watch!
Anyways, community, right. Here are some stocking suggestions:

Stocking Plan 1:

Angelfish (4) Introduce these last.
Pepper Cory Catfish (6)
Bristlenose Pleco (1)
Black Skirt Tetra or Lemon Tetra or Black Phantom Tetra (6)
Bolivian Ram (2)
This is like a South American Tank.

Stocking Plan 2:

Pearl Gourami (3) or Opaline Gourami (2)
Celestial Pearl Danio or Cherry Barbs (12)
Kuhli Loaches (6)
Rainbow Shark (1) I'm not actually sure if they would be fine with the danios as celestial pearl danio sare quite small and the rainbow shark may pick on them but it may work out.
This is an Asian themed tank.

Stocking Plan 3:

Rainbowfish are very nice fish. Get a variety 3 of each different type of rainbowfish as they like to be in groups. They are a little pricey besides the Australian Rainbowfish and this is an Australian Tank. Hope this gives some ideas. Just looking at this, I'm thinking to myself, why don't I do this? And anyone, please let me know if you find any fault in my stocking plans mentioned.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice score !
Late here as I never got the tag ? Still not in my alerts 4 hours later ??
Make sure to ventilate , wear gloves and eye protection when using the acetone .
I would say cardinals if I ever had any luck but ?? Rummy nose with Sterbia cories are the typical ram stock list ...
Something colorful to contrast the hopefully very dark fish you want ?
The super red plecos look good with them..

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Will be scraping out excess silicone today. A good razor blade is key when cleaning out silicone pieces. Once I feel that I have scraped out all that I can by hand, I will wipe the interior down with acetone at least 3 times. Then it will set to dry the rest of the day. This is the most important part of resealing a tank! Any particles of silicone left inside the tank or in any crease will create an air pocket between the silicone and the glass compromising the seal once it has dried. Putting you at risk for a tank leak or the possibility of mold growing beneath the seal. So it’s very important to get the tank as clean as possible. Slow and steady wins the race!

Last edited:

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank build the possibilities. Just started gathering "Plants" for mine. Watching!

eIHgJIR.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tank build the possibilities. Just started gathering "Plants" for mine. Watching!

View attachment 604435
I actually have some left over plants from my last tank I will be adding to the “work tank” also! Some ferns, amazon swords, and a few others! Was contemplating a plant pack from Buceplant! Considering the fact I still have my diy co2 Kit I really want to try some super reds again. The lighting works and has a “pinkish” colored bulb. So I may look into plant bulbs for those also. Just have to consider the fact that if I get some rams from @coralbandit like I intend to i need to make sure my plant selection is able to handle those slightly higher temperatures. Will post a pick shortly of where the tank will be place once it’s set up. One was there previously a few years ago before they hired a new boss. I’m guessing they removed it when they left? But the area is already loaded with electrical outlets and perfect for a fish tank so thankfully I won’t need the stand that it came with (which was actually around 1/4 inch too short) I wasn’t very comfortable with a slinger 55 gallon tank on a stand that is not as wide as the tank its self. So I dodged a bullet on that one! I know I’ll definitely want some:
Cory’s-6 to 8
Schooling fish-12
Rams-4 (2 pair)
Some sort of centerpiece fish(s)
That’s about all i can come up with at he moment lol

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Silicone removed and wiped down with acetone and tried to brush little particles into middle of tank. Will vacuum the small prices or and wipe down with acetone, let dry, then wipe it down again. Next I will need to tape the inside of the tank leaving a 1/4 inch gap on both sides of every corner of the tank giving an even “track” for when I apply the silicone. Like they say in collision repair “your tape job will make or break your paint job” so it’s important to take your time and make sure the lines are as straight as possible.
5b4adc0be36440717fc322dac8d59d92.jpg

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
@coralbandit What all do you have in your fish room available?

This is where the tank will be placed once finished. It is under the front counter and the top of that area lifts up with 2 “lids” I also have 4 outlets and have zip tied an additional power strip on the right side.
f5bc79b8ba7ba4b5a950a514c35cd21b.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just make sure the base of that stand is supported. Looks like it is not sitting on the outside walls. So no support there. That looks like a old tv stand and the only support may be a center wall to split the space below. If no doors in the front I would lay that piece down and see what’s going on underneath.

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just make sure the base of that stand is supported. Looks like it is not sitting on the outside walls. So no support there. That looks like a old tv stand and the only support may be a center wall to split the space below. If no doors in the front I would lay that piece down and see what’s going on underneath.
It is actually going in the space below where the glass is that says advertising. This is what I meant by “door”/“lid” above.
7e76e202ec263550069d5dd6d610534c.jpg

Attachments

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tank is taped up! It will get another wipe down with acetone and then it will be ready for silicone!
5af1c52f54fe9642f0dd2b2ce654a426.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@coralbandit What all do you have in your fish room available?
I have rams of most every color and hybrid . All the colors I have ever had are in stock at different sizes [ not all are listed though ] .
I have White Albino swordtails , Electric Blue Acara ,Red Picta ,and Super Red plecos ..
I am raising young Red Alpha and Ed Parker Jet Black swordtails..

For a center piece fish I think discus would go great with rams ,but what do I know ? o_O ..When a pair forms for you move them into the 55??
I hate to suggest the most expensive fish in the world but Zebra plecos [ L046] are also excellent companions to disc and rams as far as heat and diet go ..
I am hoping to add to my 5 I got last time I went to NJ when I go to the Aquatic Expo .. [ hoping..]

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have rams of most every color and hybrid . All the colors I have ever had are in stock at different sizes [ not all are listed though ] .
I have White Albino swordtails , Electric Blue Acara ,Red Picta ,and Super Red plecos ..
I am raising young Red Alpha and Ed Parker Jet Black swordtails..

For a center piece fish I think discus would go great with rams ,but what do I know ? o_O ..When a pair forms for you move them into the 55??
I hate to suggest the most expensive fish in the world but Zebra plecos [ L046] are also excellent companions to disc and rams as far as heat and diet go ..
I am hoping to add to my 5 I got last time I went to NJ when I go to the Aquatic Expo .. [ hoping..]
Was seeing if I could just get a community sticker from you but I’ll for sure want a school of something. Definitely looking into those black rams though! Maybe 2 pair? I also considered on the discus pairing in the future and keeping the 55 lightly stocked just in case I have some mating aggression in the future. So maybe 2 black ram pairs and a super red pleco for now? Driftwood and plants with sand?

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice job there on that !
That will be cool having fish in the case .
Thanks! I’ve noticed with this tank it was much harder to get a solid bead along the bottom. Due to the fact that the tank it long and “thin” I had a more difficult time along the bottom lines while trying not to bash the side of the tank with the caulk gun. But all in all I got a nice thick bead and clean up was a breeze. One side of one line got a little messy because the tape pulled off and swirled but it’s nothing I think that needs to be worried about. Still can’t declare it a success until it holds water for 24 hours... once it finished curing that will be what determines if my seal job was “good enough” or not. 1694]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom