55 Gallon: WCMM and RCS

luluo

I've been trying to decide what to put into the 55 gallon I got from craigslist. I'm considering doing a White Cloud Mountain Minnow and Red Cherry Shrimp community. Any opinions on that combo? Also, how many minnows and shrimp would you start off with?

maxima423

wow if you do your plan, you can have about 20WCMM and a lot of red cherry shrimp

personally I would mix and match the minnows

FailedSlacker

The general rule of thumb is 1 gal/WCMM and 1 gal/10RCS.

I'd start with a school of 6 minnows and keep adding in 6's every two weeks until you hit your final number. 6 shrimp is a good number to start with as well. Their breeding plan is basically "Just add water" - though you'll probably lose some shrimplets to the minnows. Adding in some javamoss will help since the shrimplets will hide in there.

Temp-wise, I'd shoot for 68-70 in the summer and slightly lower in the winter (65 would be the lowest)

maxima423

The general rule of thumb is 1 gal/WCMM and 1 gal/10RCS.)

the one inch per gallon is very out dated, that method does not put the beneficial bacteria in effect, it just lets you have more fish, you need to think about the beneficial bacteria as well as the amount of room they have, you can't have a 1foot oscar in a 10 gallon right? that just does not make sense

I still say about 15-20 WCMM and about 10-15 RCS or any other shrimp you want to do

is this going to be a planted tank? the shrimp would benefit from a planted tank, and I reckon that the WCMM would love some moneywort or any other floating plants so they feel more secure going to the surface

FailedSlacker

the one inch per gallon is very out dated, that method does not put the beneficial bacteria in effect, it just lets you have more fish, you need to think about the beneficial bacteria as well as the amount of room they have, you can't have a 1foot oscar in a 10 gallon right? that just does not make sense

I still say about 15-20 WCMM and about 10-15 RCS or any other shrimp you want to do

is this going to be a planted tank? the shrimp would benefit from a planted tank, and I reckon that the WCMM would love some moneywort or any other floating plants so they feel more secure going to the surface
Man what? Where in the world did you get the inch/gallon rule from my post?

All I was saying is that the bioload for a WCMM usually takes up about 1 gallon of tank water (inch per gallon would say 1.6 FYI) and that the bioload for shrimp is 10 shrimp per gallon. The tank was already mentioned as a 55 gal so the footprint is fine for WCMM which just leaves how much of the BB share and waterspace they require. Since minnows are schooling fish, it's smaller than one would think because they usually don't mind rubbing shoulders IF they've got the space to cruise as well.

at least i'm assuming it's a near standard 55 gal tank. If it's something odd that is less than 2 feet wide.

D_C_1

I have no experience with Minnows but you'd only really need to buy around 10 RCS because they breed so fast. After a couple of months you will have gone from 10 to over 100. For a 55G, you could think about adding a second species of shrimp if you wanted to - as long as it's compatible with RCS. It would be a good idea for it to be a planted tank too.

maxima423

Man what? Where in the world did you get the inch/gallon rule from my post?

All I was saying is that the bioload for a WCMM usually takes up about 1 gallon of tank water (inch per gallon would say 1.6 FYI) and that the bioload for shrimp is 10 shrimp per gallon. The tank was already mentioned as a 55 gal so the footprint is fine for WCMM which just leaves how much of the BB share and waterspace they require. Since minnows are schooling fish, it's smaller than one would think because they usually don't mind rubbing shoulders IF they've got the space to cruise as well.

at least i'm assuming it's a near standard 55 gal tank. If it's something odd that is less than 2 feet wide.

oh I thought 1WCMM/1gal was the same as 1"/gal rule =T sorry lol, but I disagree that he could fit 55minnows, that would be crazy overcrowded and maybe overstocked full grown

luluo

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll do about 18 wcmm - three batches of 6. 10 rcs sounds good too.

It is a standard 55 gallon and it will be planted. I love floating plants and have pennywort in my other tanks so I'm sure some type of floating plant will make it into this one. For the rest I'd like to focus on mosses and I'd also like to incorporate some custom rock scapes in there like little diy caves and such. I'm still in the planning stages and appreciate your input.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Betta aggression at night
Replies
Views
animalgirl257
  • Question
Replies
Views