55 Gallon Vs Two 29 Gallons?

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone.

I have a bit of a debate. This summer, I’m doing a tank build. I was planning on a 55 gallon this summer. Now, I’m reconsidering. Which is a better choice, a 55 gallon or two 29 gallons?

I would be doing nano fish in the 55, but if I did two 29s, I’d do a betta sorority in one and nano fish in the other.

On the other hand, 2 29 gallons would cost more overall. Plus, my parents are worried about the weight of the 55 (I know that it will actually weigh more, but we can put one on each side of the house).

What should I do?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

I like the 55 or 75 over my 29. The 29 is so deep it has a very poor foot print. The long 29 aren't so bad but again i like the 4' tanks. In a 55 you may be able to have both the bettas and nano fish, i do.

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

4. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

Pets supplies plus has a dollar per gallon sale by the way and you can get it much cheaper there. I’m thinking about upgrading a 45 to a 55 and will sell you my 45 with a stand if you’re interested.

Based on the store you selected I’m within driving distance of you. View attachment 442559

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I PMed you.

There are temp differences :(

6. david1978

Darn. I guess then to have both you would need to go with 2 tanks. I wanted to try my luck with bettas so i stocked around them. My mind fell out so i ended up with males and females together. Oops

7. L

Letsfish Well Known Member Member

If I had to do it over I would of got a 75 instead of a 55. You can do a lot more with the 6" depth on the 75.

8. david1978

The only thing with having a 75 is you wish you would of went with a 2 foot wide tank. Lol

9. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Just for clarification, I don’t have any fish for them yet, these are just ideas :)

10. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

Do a lot of research about the fish you want including temperature and what region they like to swim in so you don’t overcrowd one part of the tank. I listened to bad advice from the pet store people and ended up having to get more tanks to house fish I got.

11. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

If I did two tanks, one would be just nano fish, so I’m ok there. The other would be a betta sorority with harlequins and a bottom feeder, maybe Khuli loaches. All good, but I haven’t worked out the numbers yet :)

12. david1978

i vote for two 55's.

13. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Haha me too.