55 gallon Upgrade!

1. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I'm starting this thread in an attempt to catalog and keep a record of upgrading to a 55 gallon tank! I'm going to attempt to post at least once a week seeing as I get paid weekly and am only going to add a few things every week. I'm open to any ideas or advice you guys want to add and can't wait to see how it turns out!

So to start this thread off I just purchased the tank, filter, lights, hoods and put together the stand! I'm really liking the way it looks except for how crowded my room is but other than that I love it! My next step is to add substrate and get a few rocks and pieces of driftwood along with some other decor which will happen next Friday! Here are two quick pictures of how it looks now![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Any idea as to who's going in there?

3. AndrewJ54 Member Member

So far I have the idea of putting my two angels in there along with 10 sterbai cories, 4 Bolivian Rams, 2 different groups of tetras still contemplating what kind! Maybe a bristle nose Pleco or one of the smaller species.

4. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Sounds and lools good! I am not sure that angels and bolivans are temp. compatible though. Angels need higher temperatures than Bolivans. What kind of tetra?

5. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Thank you! I've been reading that you can get away with Bolivians temp around higher 70's so I'm gonna try it out. And I have no idea for tetras, maybe some diamonds and black neons but not entirely sure

6. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

With so many species, you might consider 1 group of tetras.
    if youre lookng for tetra ideas, alot of people have good esperieces mixing angels with lemon tetras.

7. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I'll look into them, it's going to be a while before any fish get added though seeing as I'm gonna do all of the scaping and decorating before adding fish! My next decision is to decide on gravel or sand :/ I'm leaning towards sand for the looks and the fact I'll have cories and sand is more natural for them. But I've also heard nightmare stories about cleaning sand any advice guys?

8. Koniucha Member Member

I have pool sand in mine and it is fine to clean. Just can't go digging your vacuum in it, but it cleans up fine.

9. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Ive heard you just hold the vac above the sand and it sucks up all of the waste is that true or is it more complex than that?

10. Koniucha Member Member

That is all I do. The sand may suck up some, but it falls back down.

11. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Okay, thank you for the advice I'll definitely be getting sand then

12. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Yeah i have a poolsand tank and you can even dig a bit as long as you lift the hose back when youre done. Filter sand is heavy compared to fish food and waste.

13. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Nobody stab me for this, but I have NEVER vacuumed my sand in my (planted) 55g, There isn't any noticeable detritus and I have no problems with nitrates.

I will say if you choose black sand then you will be using the vacuum a lot more, I can tell you cherry shrimp are poop machines and on their black sand it is quite an eyesore.

Look forward to following this thread, will you be going for a planted tank or going for artificial decor?

14. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I won't be putting many if any inverts in this tank, aside from a few snails. If I notice any increase in buildup on the bottom or a substantial increase in nitrates then I'll routinely vacuum the bottom. And the tank is going to be all live plants, my 35 had artificial plants it really drove me nuts because I wanted a natural environment for my fish. And thank you! I can't wait to keep adding more and more to this tank!

15. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Got any ideas on what lighting you will be going for?

16. AndrewJ54 Member Member

In the beginning I will be sticking with the lighting supplied in the hoods which appear to be two led strips fairly bright but who knows how beneficial for plant growth. Ultimately I'm going to transition to a Finnex planted plus, might add a second light source later on but have no idea yet, I'm gonna ease into at first just enough to grow low and maybe some medium light plants after that I'm not entirely sure

17. AndrewJ54 Member Member

As for plants does anyone have any ideas of plants that I could add? I already plan on adding Amazon swords, Anubias, Java fern, jazz moss but would like to expand the variety of plants added. If anyone has some suggestions of plants that preferably would not require Co2, I will add root tabs and flourish if needed but would like to stay away from co2 in the beginning!

18. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Personally I'd stay away from the swords for now, the lights that come with those kits are purely to just light up the fish, they won't be doing any favors for plants.
    So in my opinion just go for the Java ferns and the anubias' until you upgrade the lighting.

I had some of those same LED's that came with a tank I bought, I have them in the garage under a shelf to light a work bench lol.

19. katiemorrison94 Member Member

I would try german blue rams instead. They are more compatible with the higher temp for your angles.

20. katiemorrison94 Member Member

I also have pool same in my aquarium. It's great, plus it's really cheap! I filled my 60 gallon tank with about an inch of sand with one 50 pound bag. It takes forever to rinse, but its worth it. It cost me about $7