55 gallon update/progress

toeknee

Hello all. Just wanted to post a quick video update on the 55. It's doing and looking about the best it has in awhile so I wanted to get a quick video. After doing a big rescape not long ago all the plants have settled back in and are mostly doing well and filling back in. My alt reineckii is growing but verrrry slowly and not looking it's best. I've always had trouble with this plant for some reason. I'll probably let everything grow out and go into jungle mode for a few weeks before trimming again.

SinisterCichlids

Just wow. Those keyholes are probably so peaceful to watch. I could watch this tank for hours, I think my blood pressure dropped just watching that video. Definitely makes me want keyholes, rams, and corys in a big beautifully planted tank like this. Kind of done with the aggression of mbuna to be honest.

jmaldo

:emoji_clap: Bravo!
Absolutely "Gorgeous"
Please share your method used (inserts, barriers, rocks, sand) to accomplish the different levels?

toeknee

SinisterCichlids said:
Just wow. Those keyholes are probably so peaceful to watch. I could watch this tank for hours, I think my blood pressure dropped just watching that video. Definitely makes me want keyholes, rams, and corys in a big beautifully planted tank like this. Kind of done with the aggression of mbuna to be honest.
Thanks! I used to have more aggressive tanks once upon a time. While aggressive fish are often the most colorful and flashy looking at the tank just gave me anxiety. ha, I definitely prefer a tank where everyone's getting along it's definitely much more peaceful to look at.
jmaldo said:
:emoji_clap: Bravo!
Absolutely "Gorgeous"
Please share your method used (inserts, barriers, rocks, sand) to accomplish the different levels?
Thank you! For the raised portion on the left I used a combination of things. First I place curved sorta flat piece of driftwood in the corner. It's shaped like an upside down U and forms the cave that's hard to see in the video. The cave starts under the anubias and actually goes all the way back to the corner of the tank. My rio-negro plec lives in there and almost never comes out, the cory cats like to huddle in there as well. Then I placed large black lava rocks in a fashion making a bit of a wall in the front and back. I then placed a sheet of plastic on top of the driftwood piece and plugged of any holes around the rock barriers with poly-fil to keep sand in and prevent it from falling into the cave area. Then I filled up the closed off are with regular lava stone and finally filling in the rest with sand. Lastly I positioned plants to hide the rock barriers the best I could. There's a couple spots sand still slowly falls out from over time. I just need to take a turkey baster and suck up the sand that escaped the elevated area and return it back to the raised portion once a month or so.I didn't even intend on the rest of the tank to be elevated over the bare "beach" area up front but that just kinda happened naturally as I topped off back area with more sand . The plants in the "beach" area are only there because they're newer plants and more demanding than the rest so I'm letting them grow out in that spot with the most light until they're tall enough to be moved to their planned final location.

jmaldo

BigBeardDaHuZi

How did
toeknee said:
Thanks! I used to have more aggressive tanks once upon a time. While aggressive fish are often the most colorful and flashy looking at the tank just gave me anxiety. ha, I definitely prefer a tank where everyone's getting along it's definitely much more peaceful to look at.

Thank you! For the raised portion on the left I used a combination of things. First I place curved sorta flat piece of driftwood in the corner. It's shaped like an upside down U and forms the cave that's hard to see in the video. The cave starts under the anubias and actually goes all the way back to the corner of the tank. My rio-negro plec lives in there and almost never comes out, the cory cats like to huddle in there as well. Then I placed large black lava rocks in a fashion making a bit of a wall in the front and back. I then placed a sheet of plastic on top of the driftwood piece and plugged of any holes around the rock barriers with poly-fil to keep sand in and prevent it from falling into the cave area. Then I filled up the closed off are with regular lava stone and finally filling in the rest with sand. Lastly I positioned plants to hide the rock barriers the best I could. There's a couple spots sand still slowly falls out from over time. I just need to take a turkey baster and suck up the sand that escaped the elevated area and return it back to the raised portion once a month or so.I didn't even intend on the rest of the tank to be elevated over the bare "beach" area up front but that just kinda happened naturally as I topped off back area with more sand . The plants in the "beach" area are only there because they're newer plants and more demanding than the rest so I'm letting them grow out in that spot with the most light until they're tall enough to be moved to their planned final location.
How did you get that sunset look behind your tank?
The tiers/colors/textures/placements of your plants is spectacular. I could watch that tank all day long

toeknee

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
How did
How did you get that sunset look behind your tank?
The tiers/colors/textures/placements of your plants is spectacular. I could watch that tank all day long
Trust me it's taken me a very long time to be happy with plant placement. About two years, ha. Since the tank is in direct view from my couch I'm constantly staring at it thinking "those two plants next to each other are too similar in color I need to move them" or "the leaf shape of plant A. are too similar to plant B. right next to it so I need to move them" or...."that single leaf is in a spot I don't want it to be I should cut it out". There's no such thing a "finished product" for my tanks. They're in a constant state of adjusting.
And the sunset look was entirely accidental after I switched from my old painted black background to the frosted one. I have two Beamswork LED's on the tank. The LED up front is the DA FSPEC 6500k (more of a yellow tint and better for plants) and the one in the back is 10,000k (a more white/blue tint). The 10,000 K is just situated so far back on the tank that the lights shine on the background from above creating that effect. But I have been considering getting the Current USA serene backlighting system to experiment with different colors illuminating the background from behind.

Top Bottom