55 gallon tropical community tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know the feeling, my LFS Thankfully has a two week policy, altho its tough when petco has a 30 day policy. I do try to buy from my local guy but sometimes the longer warranty or the price just win. Its hard to compete with a chain when they put on some really good sales.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know the feeling, my LFS Thankfully has a two week policy, altho its tough when petco has a 30 day policy. I do try to buy from my local guy but sometimes the longer warranty or the price just win. Its hard to compete with a chain when they put on some really good sales.
Our "LFS" isn't really a locally owned thing; it's just a Petland with a huge aquatic center (called "Petland Aquarium Adventure). Of course I would never buy fuzzy-type animals from them (I worked at an animal hospital, and it isn't really a secret where they get their dogs), but the aquatic staff is very knowledgeable and they have a huge selection of fish compared to other chain stores. If you want to bring back a deceased fish, you only get two days, and you have to bring a water sample.. another not-so-good thing, since my tank isn't fully cycled to begin with, I'm sure they'd point the finger at the ammonia even though there's never more than 0.25ppm, and usually close to 0.

At any rate, I just try and keep them alive to avoid the hassle in the first place

There are blue platies, we are getting some for the 125gal.
We thought about those...the only place we could find them was the LFS with the less-convenient return policies, they're slightly more expensive (but nothing ridiculous), and they didn't really have any super blue ones. Unfortunately now we're all full of platys...though eight probably wouldn't be platy overload, maybe we'll consider getting two blue females.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't worry much about the 0.25 part as you can always bring your tap water with to show that is where it comes from. Most of the stores are pretty good about things.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldn't worry much about the 0.25 part as you can always bring your tap water with to show that is where it comes from. Most of the stores are pretty good about things.
I didn't think about that, that's a good idea.

After looking up pictures of blue metallic and blue mickey mouse platys (which is what they had at the LFS)...I definitely don't remember them being so blue!! I'll have to take a peek next weekend; maybe they're just not colored nicely from being at the store. (Though we obviously won't be getting any more fish for quite awhile.)

Would eight platys be too much? If this was the final stocking...

1 angel
8 platys
8 tetras
6 cories
1 BN pleco
a few assassin snails (forgot to mention I got two of those... John Wilkes Booth and Marcus Brutus)
a few ghost shrimp

We had looked into kuhli loaches, but they don't have the stripey ones anywhere near me, so maybe we'd save those for a future tank.

Attachments

Lexi03

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Petsmart requires atank sample as well. However they use test strips and are not concerned with ammonia in the so-called safe zone. Just today I interjucted as the girl at the store tested a guys water and told him that he shouldn't worry about the ammonia in his tank, that the ph was low and that was what killed his fish.

We are ordering blue mickymouse platies online, nostores around us carry them.

Edit: you posted while I was typing. I think 2 more platies would be fine, if you don't get the DG you have some extra roomanyway. But even if you do, I don't think your stock is too heavy.

pirahnah3

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I do enjoy the fact that the use test strips lol makes it nice and easy, they print a safe zone and most know no different.

The nice part around me is that both stores are getting to know me so well I don't even have to bring in samples for them, they just take the fish and give me new ones if there is an issue. Good to stay friendly with them.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Our petsmart does not require a water sample, just the fish and a receipt. The female betta I bought probably died because I put her in a 10 gallon with a male and a singular pictus catfish (back when I didn't know any better); I just brought the fish in a bag with the receipt and they gave me my money back.

When the first betta I had died, I didn't even have the receipt (left it at home) and they let me take another one anyway.

mrscany

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's been a while since my husband and I had a fish tank. We have a 55-gallon set up for about 9 weeks now. The first group of fish have been going for 6 or 7 weeks - 1 dwarf gourami, 4 glo fish, 6 zebra danios. Yesterday (without getting the levels checked first!) I bought 9 more fish - 4 swordtails & 6 glolights. I later had the water checked because I wanted to get an algae eater. The kid at Petco told me the PH was at 6.0, nitrates were safe, and ammonia was 0, and getting an algae eater is not recommended. Went home, started adding Proper PH 7.0 powder, and now the PH is at 6.6. I checked it again today, it's still 6.6, added a little more, and it's still 6.6 I've been feeding the fish 2-3x a day, but now I'm thinking to cut it back to 1x a day. I"ll try this for a few days, and check the levels again. My brother who works at PetSmart said to feed them 1x every OTHER day. Help!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to FishLore!

1. You will get more replies if you start your own thread If you find the "Freshwater beginners" forum, on the top left there is a "create new thread" link.

2. "The kid at Petco" probably used test strips, which are very inaccurate. I'm not sure what method of testing you are using, but you should look into getting a liquid test kit, such as the API freshwater master test kit. It lasts a long time and is MUCH more reliable.

3. As many members will say, don't stress yourself "chasing" a certain pH. Firstly, it is much more stressful for the fish to have the pH constantly fluctuating. Secondly, fish are very capable of adapting to a new pH. If you want a higher pH, try adding crushed eggshells or seashells (you can put them in the foot of clean pantyhose to keep them tidy, and put the bag in your filter housing) to naturally raise the pH.

4. I am not familiar with algae eaters (I am pretty sure that they are often mislabeled though, and I think they get large and aggressive), but I find it unlikely that you COULDN'T have one because you pH is too low. It is dangerous for snails, for example, because the acidity can erode their shells, but if you acclimate your fish very slowly to the new water (either using drip-acclimation, or adding a small volume every 15 minutes or so), they should be able to adapt.

5. As for feeding, it depends on the person. I feed daily, I know some people feed twice daily, or every other day. The important thing isn't necessarily the number of times, but that they are adequately fed. A very common mistake is to overfeed. I usually put a small pinch of pellets in, wait for them to eat them, and then put another small pinch in, so they don't all sink before they are eaten.

Hope this helps a bit! Again, more people will see your questions if you start your own thread.

mrscany

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! He did use test strips. I have liquid test kits -they came with the tank and filter, etc, from my sis in law. I have the ammonia and ph kits, just have to slowly get everything else. From now on, I'll just go to Petland (it's nearby) to get the tests done, but won't get any fish there. After I put the original 6 fish in, a week or so later, I got a 2nd gourami - male. The guy said they'll be fine together since it's a big tank. He died 2 wks later. I told the same guy about it, hes like oh well, some die when the tank is cycling. The OTHER fish were fine! So no more Petland fish! LOL

mrscany

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I shouldve kept the receipt and brought the fish back to Petland LOL oh well.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dwarf Gouramis should not be kept together, else fighting will ensue. Unfortunately many pet store employees don't always know what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 35.6%

Top Bottom