55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Zc668, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Z

Zc668 New Member Member

Hi, I have 55 gallon tank with a senegal bichir and one jack dempsey. they are both under 2 inches. I was wondering if i could put 2 of my 3 inch bolivian rams in with them. Right now the two are in a 20 gallon tank and they constantly bother each other. Their only other tank mates are 4 guppies that i had just purchased today. One of the rams even tried to nip at a guppy.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Not a good idea. The Bolivians would get smashed by the JD & the Bichir once they get a little bigger.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

Well i don't know what to do with them then. I guess I am going to have to give them away or try to sell them. They cost me 8 dollars a piece so its a shame if i can't get something in return for them.

4. Nutter

Why do you need to remove the Rams? They will be ok with the Guppys. It's no surprise that they had a nip at the newbies in the tank. That's just them establishing thier territory to the other fish. The Guppys will stay mostly up the top & the Rams mostly down the bottom. I would leave the pair of Rams in your 20gal with the four Guppies & call it perfectly stocked.

5. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

The rams nip at each other all the time. They constantly bother each other and i don't want them to hurt each other or other tank mates.

6. Nutter

Are you sure they are a pair & not 2 males? That sound like the sort of behaviour I would expect from two males. Even a male & female that don't pair up will get along ok usually. It could also be that the male want to breed but the female isn't ready yet if they are a definite pair.

7. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

They are both males. I'm also trying to breed guppies in the 20 gal. I really don't want the rams to bother the guppies when they are breeding.

8. Nutter

That's your problem then. Two males are not going to play nice with each other. You could take one of the males to your LFS & swap it for a female but if you want to breed the Guppys you will need to get a breeding net/trap that you can put the females into when you expect them to have babies. Your going to need a second tank for raising the fry anyway as the Guppys will eat thier own young if you leave them in the tank, not just the Rams. You could provide a large clump of Java Moss for the fry to hide in so that some of them will survive but you will still lose the bulk of them to predation.

9. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

+1. I've had Bolivian rams of the same sex (unknowingly) in a 29 gallon before and the dominant fish was relentless. I ended up having to remove the less dominant fish. I also agree that rams of any kind cannot live with a JD long term. IMO your best option is to return one of the rams. Hopefully you will at least get a little store credit.

10. OP
    OP
    Z

Zc668 New Member Member

I already set up everything i need for the guppy breeding. I'm going to call the the pet store to see if i can swap them or get store credit. My guppies that i breed are going to be food for my bichir and JD once they get a bit bigger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice