Question 55 gallon tank

Jackkelly

Reaction score
The tank is 55 gallons and was just purchased as someone was getting rid of their tank and it came with fish.
the stock of the tank is;
2 medium sized angelfish
2 Bolivian rams
7 tiger barbs
3 albino rainbow sharks
2 roseline barb
2 red tailed sharks
1 pictus catfish
1 dwarf gourami
1 clown pleco
1 clown loach

I have many plants in the aquarium to help the bio load of the tank.

Is the tank massively overstocked? I have a 75 gallon filter that is running 4 filter pads and I am adding another filter that filters up to 80 gallon tank.
My second question is about the bio wheels of the tank. I noticed that they have a opening in one of the folds. Is that normal?

ArtFish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, my bio wheels have an opening so I’m assuming it’s normal.
the tank might be a little over stocked but I’m not sure if those fish make a lot of waste. I’m sure if they were doing well in the tank before you got it then it’s fine. Do you know how often they did their water changes?
Do you have the filter that they were using with the bacteria? If so it would run all good.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ok, get rid of the pictus cat (Too big), get rid of the clown loach (Too big and need a school of 6), have either the 2 red tailed sharks and the two rosaline barbs (Up them to 6) and no rainbow sharks, or 1 rainbow shark,(Rainbow sharks are very territorial towards other bottom dwellers), get rid of the tiger barbs (They are huge fin nippers and angels have very long fins. The dwarf gourami should be fine but be wary they can become very aggressive, so have a backup.

Also I love your username. Love the newsies! It's my favorite musical, I just wish I could play jack Kelly, I just have to wait a few years (Still a Soprano).

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
None of the fish seem to bother one another besides the tiger barbs to the dwarf gourami. I plan on rehoming the dwarf gourami to another tank tomorrow. I have looked all over the internet and the max size for a pictus is 4 inches.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jackkelly said:
None of the fish seem to bother one another besides the tiger barbs to the dwarf gourami. I plan on rehoming the dwarf gourami to another tank tomorrow. I have looked all over the internet and the max size for a pictus is 4 inches.
I have heard they can get anywhere between 5-12''. Also I've heard they can be a little aggressive?

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
From what it says on here it says 4 inches. The one I have just swims around the bottom.

Jackkelly said:
From what it says on here it says 4 inches. The one I have just swims around the bottom.
All of the fish in my tank are much bigger than could what go in his mouth

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Ok, get rid of the pictus cat (Too big), get rid of the clown loach (Too big and need a school of 6), have either the 2 red tailed sharks and the two rosaline barbs (Up them to 6) and no rainbow sharks, or 1 rainbow shark,(Rainbow sharks are very territorial towards other bottom dwellers), get rid of the tiger barbs (They are huge fin nippers and angels have very long fins. The dwarf gourami should be fine but be wary they can become very aggressive, so have a backup.
Strongly agree

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would rehome the clown loach. They do get quite large both in size and girth, about 12", sometimes more. I saw you have a red tail shark? Those and clown loaches are both loaches so you may have some troubles there. Clown loaches also so best in groups of 6 or more.
If not already, the tiger barbs I'd imagine will see your angelfishes fins as something to nip at.

I had a pictus cat in a 112g with a few others in the past. They grew to around 8". That being said, I'd reconsider those as well. they like to be in groups and well. really brings out more activity in them

New Threads