55 Gallon tank thinking Black ghost knife fish

1. r

reaper12122 Valued Member Member

Well my LFS has a couple really small Black Ghost knife fish and i have an empty 55 gallon tank i was thinking of maybe getting one iv always wanted one but haven't really had a big enough tank. I plane on getting a 120 to 150 in about a year. So i was wondering would it be ok to house it in the 55 gallon for a year and what type if any other fish can i house with it. Thanks any info will help!!

55 gallon long
    black sand substrate
    Large pieces of drift wood
    about 4 caves/pots
    some long fake plants
    1 powerhead
    305 fluval filter

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Generally, getting a fish on the expectation that you're going to upgrade is not recommended, as life has a tendency of getting in the way. They also become quite aggressive. Were you hoping to keep any other fish? This stinker will eat whatever it can fit in its proportionately tremendous mouth and try for a few it can't. Actually, if I remember correctly, the minimum tank size for an adult of this species is really somewhere around 400g, despite what the stores may tell you.

3. OP
    OP
    r

Forget it then lol Im really looking for a unique fish i can keep in my 55 gallon as like the crown jewel of the tank any suggestions???

4. Eienna

Hmmmmm. Some forum members love Blood Parrot cichlids, though I dunno how you feel about that. Lemme think about it for a bit.

5. OP
    OP
    r

Dont really care for them the gf has one not my cup of tea lol i was thinking a leaf fish but i dont know what to pair them with

6. Eienna

Leaf, huh? Well, they're African, right? Maybe a featherfin catfish? I have a featherfin and I love him <3

Something I ran across recently that's unusual. It's called the African fire barb (or green fire barb). Don't know if a Leaf might eat them but it might be cool.

7. W

WHUFCAndrew New Member Member

Hi I have a 60 Gallon Tank, And Have A Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1 x Bichir, 1 x Powder Blue Cichlid and 1 x Leopard Pleco, They all get on really well. If im honest it all started with somebody giving me bad advice on the Bichir but I have now build a tank around him after extensive research. The trick when feeding them is to split the frozen food and scatter it around so all of them get food. I would always recommend knife fish, mine is fully grown now and is 23 cm long. Hope this helps

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 55 is a nice grow out tank - from there you can upgrade to a larger tank (and the tank won't look empty).

Black ghost knife will grow to 20 inches - 23 cm is not full grown unless its been stunted.

The typical "African leaf fish" is the Ctenopoma genus - that's what is most commonly available.