55 gallon tank stand stability?

EdieBadedie

Hello all. I have a 55 gallon stand on a metal stand I purchased from petco since July. It has been stable. I just read a horror story about someone's tank exploding from an uneven stand and it got me thinking.
Using a level on the top of my tank, it is completely level. Although, I remember when building the stand it wasn't completely level, but once the aquarium sat on all 4 sides it was fine. In addition, it is a little farther frontword because the filter blocks it in the back. ( picture below)
Am I good? Or should do something?

20201201_232305.jpg

Mrfister1116

I never stands is more of an issue with flat bottom tanks, where the weight rests across the bottom piece of glass instead of the side pieces.

on a tank like the 55 having a bit of paintor some other lump where the tank frame meets the stand could in theory cause stress cracks, it’s not something many people worry about in the 55’s

for level left to right or front to back, unless it’s so out of level the tank slides off the stand you should be fine.
One issue can be if you have carpet, the legs can slowly cut through the carpet and become more uneven with the metal stands... At my old apartment my 55 went from level to about .75” low towards the front left over the course of about 6 months, I got some 1/4” High carbon steel plates from work and put one under each leg and then shimmed it back to level no issues. You could do the same thing with plywood or boards if you don’t have handy access to steel plates just spreads the force out to help fight the compression of the padding and what not.

Upvote 0

EdieBadedie

I never stands is more of an issue with flat bottom tanks, where the weight rests across the bottom piece of glass instead of the side pieces.

on a tank like the 55 having a bit of paintor some other lump where the tank frame meets the stand could in theory cause stress cracks, it’s not something many people worry about in the 55’s

for level left to right or front to back, unless it’s so out of level the tank slides off the stand you should be fine.
One issue can be if you have carpet, the legs can slowly cut through the carpet and become more uneven with the metal stands... At my old apartment my 55 went from level to about .75” low towards the front left over the course of about 6 months, I got some 1/4” High carbon steel plates from work and put one under each leg and then shimmed it back to level no issues. You could do the same thing with plywood or boards if you don’t have handy access to steel plates just spreads the force out to help fight the compression of the padding and what not.
Gotcha, I read about doing some plywood under the legs, so I will probably do that at some point. The stand came with little feet, which I think is helping keep it level on the carpet (for now). I am just lucky it ended up being level at all

Upvote 0

Mrfister1116

It does get to be an issue as you move into the bigger tanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Quinn_Lamb98
  • Question