55 gallon tank ideas thanks!

what is the best idea for a 55 gallon tank

• mbuna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rainbow fish

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • geophagus/ top cichlid

• other. (pm me if you have another idea)

• oddball tank (pm me for oddball ideas)

• Total voters

jackywacky

hey,, i'm hopefully going to get a 55 gallon tank soon, any different ideas than these btw i've never done any of these

1. discus ( a bit small but i would give them to my lfs when they are full grown)

2. rainbow fish tank ( thats a given, not need to explain on that)

3. african cichlids (specificly peacocks)

you can just say 1, 2, or 3. if you have anymore ideas you can say, a ideas are welcome

(just know i have EBAs, Apistos, (2 pairs) and angelfish. so i dont really... want to do them again... OH! i've also had kribs)

thanks!

jackywacky

true, discus would be fine in my paramaters, is there any sand buffer to increase the ph for rift lake cichlids or should I get like liquid buffer, I can pretty much make both work, just the price might be different

TClare

true, discus would be fine in my paramaters, is there any sand buffer to increase the ph for rift lake cichlids or should I get like liquid buffer, I can pretty much make both work, just the price might be different
I think you can get crushed coral that should help, and you can buy "Malawi cichlid salts" I believe, but I have never tried this, I stick to South Americans as my water is soft. Have you considered any Central American cichlids? Discus would be lovely, but they are of course a bit more difficult and high maintenance.

Rye3434

What are they exactly?
You will have a lot less work for yourself choosing fish that work in your tap water

55 is not big enough for peacocks imo, same with discus, even if your plan was just to grow them out for some reason? I don't really see a point, they're expensive fish I'd want to enjoy them for their whole lifespan

PeterFishKeepin

Hi Jackywacky,

Im in the same situation as you,

I have 55gallon i want to stock, after researching for hours i have told myself, no to discus - get to big and need super clean water a lot of maintainance.
- no to malawi african cichlid like peacocks and haps as they get from 6-10inches respectively and arent ideal sizes for 55gal but more 75gal.

So what are the options i see best for a cool tank in 55gallons??
- Lake Malawi Mbuna African Cichlid tank, mbuna get 4-6inches more suitable in 55gal, can be considered a little bit less agressive but still have lovely colours
- Rainbow fish

Me personally will be doing Mbuna cichlids like, yellow labs, cobalt blue, red zebra, rusty, saulosi are all nicely coloured africans with less aggression issues. Im stive unsure if i want an all male tank or 3 f - 1 m of 2-3 species.

jackywacky

thanks for all the ideas, just fyi, sorry I didn't mention this before, I have been in the hobby for about 3 years so and oddball or something a little more challenging I could probably try would be cool

PeterFishKeepin

sure thing, are u more interested in peacocks, haps or mbuna??

jackywacky

peacocks mainly but haps will also work if they are a better option

tap water is

PH: ~7.0

GH:~100

thats all that matters from the tap water right?
instead of african cichlids, what might be good with geophagus tapajos

PeterFishKeepin

I can't help u with geophagus but please don't get haps, they get way to big for 55gallons, I feel the same way for peacocks, are you not interested in mbuna, they are just like peacocks and haps but an inch or two smalle, and much more suitable for 55 gallons. I strongly recommend u choose mbuna over peacocks and haps they are also the bet choose for cichlid first timers.

Peter

TClare

The 55 gallon tank may be on the small side for a decent sized group of Geophagus, even the smaller ones like Tapajos. I had to look up the dimensions of this tank and its quite tall but only 13" deep I think? The Geophagus will really only use the bottom of the tank so the height is not an advantage for them. Otherwise a good combination is Geophagus + Mesonauta as each use different areas of the tank, but I think your tank is probably too small for a group of each long term, though would be OK while juveniles. I think it might be on the small side for Mbuna too, but not sure as I don't have experience with them.

jackywacky

hows this idea, Yellow lab, purple acei, and red zebra cichlids,

maybe 2 of each and probabaly a male and a female for a three then

a/some african catfish?

any ideas for the african catfish

PeterFishKeepin

in a 55gallon i would say 10-15 mbuna is a good stocking, those 3 species a cool and get around 15cm max. IDK about african catfish but ill be have a bristlenose pleco in my 55gal african tank. I would do 1 male 3 female for each of those 3 species therefore you would have 12 fish in there.

jackywacky

could I do 1 male to 2 females and do 1 or 2 more species

PeterFishKeepin

I think for mbuna's in 55gal its best to have either 1 of each species or the 1m to 3f ratio. I think its best you stick to 2-3 species per tank.

jackywacky

i cant decide which option to chose

GlennO

Personal preference really but a couple of things can help you decide - such as choosing fish that suit your tap water and also deciding whether you want it to be planted tank or not. I like planted tanks which suits my preference for rainbowfish rather than mbuna for example.

RonP

In my 55 mbuna tank I have 4 catfish,
Synodontis Multipunctatis. Had them for over 2 years now. Great addition to a tank with lots of rock crevices and tunnels. They are very active about 2.5 to 3 inches now, with attractive spotted black and white bodies.
Thriving with the mbunas.

jackywacky

i have a 55 gallont tank, could i do a needle nose gar, gulper catfish, and something else.
grow out an arrowana, peacock bass, and an oscar

any other ideas are welcome

jackywacky

what is the best option

TClare

Better to choose a species that is suited to your tank size as some juveniles will grow rather more quickly than you think and you don’t really want to have to re home fish after a short time,

Ctenopoma acutirostre (Leopard bush fish) would be a suitable oddball fish for your tank size.

PeterFishKeepin

Im saying Mbuna or rainbowfish, depends on cost per fish, for me an Mbuna is 15-20$ AUD while some rainbows can be between 50-100$AUD, so id do what is in my budget.

Noroomforshoe

I love rainbow fish, I have kept a few species, none of them more then 10$ a fish. The Australian rainbow, I have seen more theonce for 5$, I had a school recently they were amazing once they started growing up. I currently have dwarf sunset rainbows which are still growing into there colors. I also have a geophagus topajay. he is 3 years old and barely 4 inches from his nose to the end of his tail and doing amazing in my 55. But I have since then heard/read that the species I have could have been in a larger tank. There are smaller topajays that you can look for.
My favorite oddballs are humphead glass tetra and brown ghost knife fish.

SparkyJones

I think geophagus and mbuna are closer to what can work I a 55 gallon than most predator fish, it's not the length or depth of the 55g that's the problem it's the small width from front to back that becomes a problem for fish that get over 6" in length, they can't turn and move right and either don't behave right or bang into the tank and get injured.

The only "predator" I can think of that can work in a 55g long term would be exodons but they are more like parasites and not predators, they are opportunistic feeders off of other fish, but then it limits anything else you could keep with them, like all of those types of fish, they don't play well with others at all.

jackywacky

hey, so I got a 55 gallon tank, how would this stocking be in a planted aquarium

1. 4 african butterfly fish

2. 10 congo tetras

3. 1-2 rope fish

4. 5-6 debauwi catfish

thanks, if you have suggestions that is welcome, they would all do fine in my water params

PeterFishKeepin

Do you plan on introducing all 4 species to that 55 gal or you want advice to choose 1 of them?

Im only familiar with congo tetra the other three i know little info about.

Coradee

Several threads have been merged, members can advise you best if they have all the information in one place & can readily see what’s already been suggested or discounted.

SparkyJones

I have an idea, I've never gotten around to it myself, but a 55g will work for a pair of p. Altum or p. Leopoldi, much harder to find than p. scalare. The Altums get larger than scalare, the leopoldi are smaller than scalare.
there's lots of rarely seen at the petstore fish to keep, work on and breed, L046 Zebra Plecos would be another example of something really challenging.

Either type of angel you could get 6 juveniles of and grow out in a 55g and hopefully get a breeding pair in about 6 months by which time, you would need another tank to move the parents, and you could use more tank also for fry, but you could technically grow out a spawn to market sizes in a 55g.

I mean if you are looking for something more challenging, and rewarding when successful, it would be a breeding project with rarely available fish in your area, that the work would be rewarded at the end for.

The whole "oddball" or "predator" tank thing really gets old after a while (been there, done that myself) when you find you're kind of locked into that individual fish and it's not as exciting anymore as it was that first couple weeks.

While I love discus, I think they are "work" to maintain in top condition, and and sold at a price point that they aren't for "everyone" and can be difficult to get rid of if breeding them.
Like everyone knows, although beautiful, their reputation is "difficult", So unless you have a name for yourself established and known as top quality breeder of discus, I think Discus are kind of out of most people's leagues. but you could technically get a group of 6, and keep a breeding pair of discus from that and sell the other 4, and do this in a 55g and spawn them, and move the parents out and grow the fry out to 2" and start offloading them. you'd need to offload them a spawn can't stay there at max numbers forever.

Anyways thats a whole another conversation. my point was, if looking for a challenge, a breeding project can be very challenging,,,, and very rewarding, but don't breed livebearers like guppies, or something, it's also going to get old quick, it's not all that hard,
pick something much less common at the pet stores, that people would want and work towards accomplishing the goal.

jackywacky

Do you plan on introducing all 4 species to that 55 gal or you want advice to choose 1 of them?

Im only familiar with congo tetra the other three i know little info about.
all four, but not at the same time
I have an idea, I've never gotten around to it myself, but a 55g will work for a pair of p. Altum or p. Leopoldi, much harder to find than p. scalare. The Altums get larger than scalare, the leopoldi are smaller than scalare.
there's lots of rarely seen at the petstore fish to keep, work on and breed, L046 Zebra Plecos would be another example of something really challenging.

Either type of angel you could get 6 juveniles of and grow out in a 55g and hopefully get a breeding pair in about 6 months by which time, you would need another tank to move the parents, and you could use more tank also for fry, but you could technically grow out a spawn to market sizes in a 55g.

I mean if you are looking for something more challenging, and rewarding when successful, it would be a breeding project with rarely available fish in your area, that the work would be rewarded at the end for.

The whole "oddball" or "predator" tank thing really gets old after a while (been there, done that myself) when you find you're kind of locked into that individual fish and it's not as exciting anymore as it was that first couple weeks.

While I love discus, I think they are "work" to maintain in top condition, and and sold at a price point that they aren't for "everyone" and can be difficult to get rid of if breeding them.
Like everyone knows, although beautiful, their reputation is "difficult", So unless you have a name for yourself established and known as top quality breeder of discus, I think Discus are kind of out of most people's leagues. but you could technically get a group of 6, and keep a breeding pair of discus from that and sell the other 4, and do this in a 55g and spawn them, and move the parents out and grow the fry out to 2" and start offloading them. you'd need to offload them a spawn can't stay there at max numbers forever.

Anyways thats a whole another conversation. my point was, if looking for a challenge, a breeding project can be very challenging,,,, and very rewarding, but don't breed livebearers like guppies, or something, it's also going to get old quick, it's not all that hard,
pick something much less common at the pet stores, that people would want and work towards accomplishing the goal.
im not really aiming to breed fish. (although i do have a breed pair of apistogramma caucatoities)
but to try something african would be cool. ( i already have a pair of angels too)

TClare

Then as I suggested on another thread Ctenopoma acutirostre, I think you could keep one with an African butterfly fish and some Congo tetras?

GlennO

Then as I suggested on another thread Ctenopoma acutirostre, I think you could keep one with an African butterfly fish and some Congo tetras?
Another somewhat oddball African option would be a high flow tank with a pair of Blockhead Cichlids and some Congos.

TClare

Another somewhat oddball African option would be a high flow tank with a pair of Blockhead Cichlids and some Congos.
That would be very nice!

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom