55 Gallon Tank Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Mike the fish keeper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mike the fish keeper

Mike the fish keeperValued MemberMember

Im starting this thread to track my progress on my 55 gallon community tank. Right now Ive finished cleaning it and Im starting tomorrow Im going to build a stand for it because it will be cheaper.hopefully you guys will like to tag along on my progress to fully decked out fish tank a80030cf6849b1e8a9b5d6e7f07e03f4.jpg

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Can't wait!

Do you know what kind of fish do you want? What equipment are you going to get?

3. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

My plan is to upgrade my 20gal long to a 55 gal. I have two hob filters ment for 55 gals on my 20. I have a heater that is 50W. I dont know if it will work for the 55 so I might have to buy a new heater. I also have some fish that should not be keep in a 20 long because I believed a petco employee who said a rapheal Catfish and 2 dojo loaches would do fine. I also have 4 panda cories, a horseface loach, a hillstream loach and a BN pleco and a banjo cat all healthy but not happy in the 20 gallon. I hope to right my wrongs with this 55 gallon.

4. itsayes

itsayesValued MemberMember

Looking forward to the build. I'm in the same boat. Building a stand for 55g currently. Should hopefully finish this weekend!

5. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

Same. Im so happy to finally get a bigger tank

6. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

You will need a heater bigger the 50 watts, depending on how cold your winters are and the house temperature a 150 or 200 watt should work. I have a 150 watt on a 55 and it really only gets about 3-4 weeks of use during the year, we have very mild winters.

7. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

6387b847d2341bd0cf76a9af9c9a19cd.jpg
    Decided to just buy a stand for 40 bucks. Looks good and is sturdy. 4ee80eca3d4aeedc214189d1eabf70a9.jpg
    Also spray painted the back of the aquarium black so Im just waiting for that to dry and then I can put it on the stand

8. itsayes

itsayesValued MemberMember

Nice man. Kinda jealous, I'm exhausted from building this stand solo. Plus it was raining all day so I couldn't stain it like I hoped nor could I spray paint the tank. I'll live through you for now!

9. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

Dang hope you get to stain and paint tomorrow.

10. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

So after some water changes and using filter floss the tank is looking good. All the fish are doing amazing and my striped talking catfish loves having more room to swim around in. 15165da3b16282e8e552b1a91befbbc2.jpg
    I also went out and got 10 rummynose tetras and 10 zebra danios. They bring some more movement to the tank and I cant wait to get plants to fill out the tank some more. I also need to get some drift wood or maybe spider wood

11. LetsfishWell Known MemberMember

I know how you feel I built 2 stand within a month and on the second stand I have 2 tanks cycling at the same time.;)

12. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

Just added 4 more Banjo cats to the tank. My lfs is also getting some more panda cories so Ill up my school to 8 or 10. Im also debating on if I should keeo my horseface loach and add more or give him up. I really like him because he stirs up the sand but I dont want him to be sad and unhappy in my tank. Any help would be appreciated

13. OP
    OP
    Mike the fish keeper

57e38e511c3ee18af4d6a9d22e8d05cd.jpg
    Added some root tabs and amazon swords to the tank. Next week I plan to add java fern, dwarf sag and bacopa. I also might get a pair of bolivian rams and add another dojo to the tank

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice