55 Gallon Tank / Angelfish Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tmccue1188, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Tmccue1188New MemberMember

I had a 30 gallon tank for three years, with 1angel, 2cories, and two tetras? I believe. Was given a 55, added 1small angel, 1 electric blue ram, and 3 small cories. It’s been about 3 weeks since adding the new fish and everyone seems to be doing fine....

Wondering how close I am to capacity? I’d love to get a schooling fish that’s comparable to brighten the tank up a bit. Looking for suggestions that work with my setup. Also, could I add another ram or possibly krib? As I’ve read they’re good companies with the angels. Image1544295518.009917.jpg

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

What kind of cories and tetras are they? Different kinds get to different sizes and have different requirements.

You could do something like this
    1 angel
    15 cardinal tetras
    15 cherry barbs
    2-4 electric blue rams, german blue rams or gold rams
    15-18 sterbai cories or bronze/albino cories

3. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

In a 55, you could do up to 6 Angels or so. Smaller fish, a lot more. Neon Tetras and most Corys arent really compatible with Angels as they have different temp requirements. Neons like it about 75, Angels 80. Most Corys prefer cooler water too. EBR like low to mid 80's, so you could keep the tank 80-82 and do okay I think. The Corys, depending on what type they are, will probably need to be rehomed. Not many will survive 80+ degree water and do well.

You arent even close to capacity, but you need to decide what you really want to keep long-term and get temperature compatible fish. I have a 55 gallon Amazon river basin biotope with 5 Angels, 2 GBR's, 8 Hatchetfish, 15 Sterbai Corys and 20 Black Neon Tetras. I keep the temp at 82 and everyone is alright. Its a hair high for the Black Neons but they do fine.

4. Fish0n

Fish0nValued MemberMember

That will not be a longterm stocking with 6 angels. When they are adults/full grown especially if they pair off there will not be enough room for territories and there will be aggression issues.

5. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

See, all the Angels Ive had are hit or miss. They either school well, or dont. Ive had more "good" school than bad, and I cant make rhyme or reason of it.

6. Fish0n

But by starting with a couple who have already made the tank their home especially the more mature one I would imagine it would set up any potential schooling behavior up for failure.

Since you have the space I would up the cories to 6+
    Also depending on the tetras I would fill out their numbers so you get some nice schooling. However if they are a nippier variety I wouldn't add more because of the angel fish.
    As for the question to the EBR I have never kept them but I'm sure someone on here can help with that.
    2 angels
    6+ corries
    1 EBR
    Tetras? depending on type

After that I would asses bio-load by getting nitrates to 0 then test how long it takes for it to rise to 20.
    "Capacity" is a tricky thing in this hobby as there are so many variables. Source water, type of fish, plants, and also your preferences for how often you will do water changes. The best way to do it is to go slow, research, watch fish behavior, and test your water often so you know the bioload.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
  7. Fish0n

@AquaticJ Maybe you can help with the ram care?

8. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I like this one a lot.

@DuaneV did explain the temperature requirements well. You definitely could get away with a lot of Angels if you know what you’re doing, but I’d just be careful with that.

Guess we’ll need OP to respond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice