55 Gallon Stockingblood Parrot

adudewholovesfish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
so I have one blood parrot that has to be booked out of my 29 gallon tank and moved into a cycled 55 gallon. Could someone help me with some stocking lists? I’m thinking about some plecos, catfish, rainbow fish, gouramis, or danios for a community tank. Or I’m thinking of adding 1or 2 medium sized 8 cichlids for a cichlids only tank. So can someone tell me my best option and a list of the fish I can add and the amount for each setup?
Thank you!

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would advise against the jack dempsey, but the other 2 would do fine I think.

Mobluesfan

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dave125g said:
You could do a school of bronze corys on the bottom. A pair of German rams on the bottom. A few electric blue acara or a school of Australian rainbows. A dwarf gouramI would be ok too. A BN pleco works. Most danios need cooler water, so those don't work.
Dave125g I realize this post is old, but I was reading to get ideas for my 55 and came across this one. I just got my BP and was just told on the forum that I couldn't keep my green Corys. But you say above bronze Corys are ok? Can I have any Corys? Or specific ones? I love my little Corys and would hate to get rid of them. But if I could replace them with another Cory (Panda, Zebra, Peppered) than that would be cool.

adudewholovesfish What did you end up stocking your BP with? I may copy some if its working

Attachments

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Green and bronze are the same. Most parrot keepers say there ok with corys. Lchi87 you have corys with cheeks?

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dave125g said:
Green and bronze are the same. Most parrot keepers say there ok with corys. Lchi87 you have corys with cheeks?
I don’t actually! I think they are okay together but if you have a boisterous parrot, you may not see your cories a lot out in the open. :/

Mobluesfan

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's been a couple days and everyone seems fine together, I'll keep an eye on them and see how it goes. Curious, what else do you have with your BP?

BichirKeeper84

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would advise against a severum for a 55 gallon. I'd also advise against having 2 cichlids in a 55 gallon together. Usually what happens is one will dominate the other. I'd suggest picking species so that you can have at least 3 in the tank together. A blood parrot and a group of firemouths would work well. Sajicas or convicts may be another option. There are plenty more but blood parrots are really just mutated red devils and can get quite pushy. So something hardy and something that can defend itself would be best.

Mobluesfan

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was actually thinking the 1 BP with 2 Firemouths. I'm trying to narrow it down to what other cichlids or other fish I want with the BP. I love the electric Blue Acara to, but kinda pricey. I also like some of the dwarf gourami. It's hit or miss with the Gourami's, I see Dave125g says one would be good though.

Narrowing it down to what would be a good stock is difficult I love a fish with color and great personalities, love to watch my cory's swim, they seem to have a lot of fun.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keith Dann said:
I was actually thinking the 1 BP with 2 Firemouths. I'm trying to narrow it down to what other cichlids or other fish I want with the BP. I love the electric Blue Acara to, but kinda pricey. I also like some of the dwarf gourami. It's hit or miss with the Gourami's, I see Dave125g says one would be good though.

Narrowing it down to what would be a good stock is difficult I love a fish with color and great personalities, love to watch my cory's swim, they seem to have a lot of fun.
Acaras would do fine with a BP. A dwarf gouramI would be ok with a BP too I would think. DGs tend to hang out at the top, my Male does, he works on his bubble nest a lot.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BichirKeeper84 said:
I would advise against a severum for a 55 gallon. I'd also advise against having 2 cichlids in a 55 gallon together. Usually what happens is one will dominate the other. I'd suggest picking species so that you can have at least 3 in the tank together. A blood parrot and a group of firemouths would work well. Sajicas or convicts may be another option. There are plenty more but blood parrots are really just mutated red devils and can get quite pushy. So something hardy and something that can defend itself would be best.
Convicts might be tough to do, especially if they are mates and will basically take up most of the 55g. As previously stated the original thread. A single convict will be ok but if you grab two and they end up pairing up...might spell trouble.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fashooga said:
Convicts might be tough to do, especially if they are mates and will basically take up most of the 55g. As previously stated the original thread. A single convict will be ok but if you grab two and they end up pairing up...might spell trouble.
Agree a breeding pair of convicts is a force to be reckoned with.

BichirKeeper84

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Agreed. Though depending on the pair and the parrot it may work. I've seen some nasty parrots in my day. I think two acaras would work. Firemouths, rainbow cichlids, most other acaras, or any others in the thorichthys genus would probably work well. Fish from the amatitlania genus would work if the parrot was larger and more dominant.

New Threads