55 gallon stocking

Arrow1oo

So I recently rescaled my tank, added some cherry barbs and had a small ich problem. Took the necessary steps and lost a few fish to it but most survived. I have three fish left

3 pearl gourami (2m1f)
5 cardinal tetras
7 cherry barbs
6 green corydora
3 Bolivian rams (2m1f)

im now Realizing my scape might be a little rough on swimming space. I was hoping someone could recommend either fish that can swim between smaller spaces and not mind, or maybe suggest a way I can cut some branches to leave more space. The pearl gouramis don’t seem to mind as they appreciate the cover.
Its heavily planted, I’m having a hair algae problem as well so I think I need to readjust lighting hours.

tank is well cycled, 78 degrees.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, very nice tank, I love the branches.
In my opinion I think just adding more of what you already have would make for a genuinely lovely setup. Bring to numbers up to at least 10 for the Barbs, Tetras and Corys and then get 1 or 2 more Pearls.
You could also add some kind of Algae eater, like a Flying Fox or a trio of SAEs, nothing wrong with having these cool looking fish that also help keep the tank looking fresh, though still adjust the lighting hours.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Hi, very nice tank, I love the branches.
In my opinion I think just adding more of what you already have would make for a genuinely lovely setup. Bring to numbers up to at least 10 for the Barbs, Tetras and Corys and then get 1 or 2 more Pearls.
You could also add some kind of Algae eater, like a Flying Fox or a trio of SAEs, nothing wrong with having these cool looking fish that also help keep the tank looking fresh, though still adjust the lighting hours.
Okay I appreciate the help, yea I think that would be nice. I was thinking maybe move the rock structure on the left and move the sword more into the corner leaving that space open for swimming but the cherry sand cardinals don’t mind dashing in between the branches at all. I have trouble finding SAE’a for some reason and I’ve heard the flying foxes don’t do the quite as well and are more aggressive. I appreciate the help and I’ll consider it

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Okay I appreciate the help, yea I think that would be nice. I was thinking maybe move the rock structure on the left and move the sword more into the corner leaving that space open for swimming but the cherry sand cardinals don’t mind dashing in between the branches at all. I have trouble finding SAE’a for some reason and I’ve heard the flying foxes don’t do the quite as well and are more aggressive. I appreciate the help and I’ll consider it
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I don't think it would be necessary personally but it can be nice to change the tank around every so often =)

As far as I know, both are great algae eaters, though I'm not sure if a True Fox would eat the BBA SAEs have a reputation for. I've read Fox's aren't all that more aggressive to other fish only conspecifics, while SAEs are social.

No problem =)

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I don't think it would be necessary personally but it can be nice to change the tank around every so often =)

As far as I know, both are great algae eaters, though I'm not sure if a True Fox would eat the BBA SAEs have a reputation for. I've read Fox's aren't all that more aggressive to other fish only conspecifics, while SAEs are social.

No problem =)
Do you think I would be over stocked with the stocking you suggested? Just want to make sure before I do it, I know Siamese algae Eaters can get to 6 inches at their oldest

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Personally I think it would be a very nice stocking, you could always add them before anything else and let them grow. You could also leave the Pearls as a trio if you feel more comfortable with that stocking.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Personally I think it would be a very nice stocking, you could always add them before anything else and let them grow. You could also leave the Pearls as a trio if you feel more comfortable with that stocking.
Would it be okay to add just 1 SAE or is it necessary for them to be in groups. I’ve researched but found mixed info

Upvote 0

fallfever

Not a disagreement, just another idea...try 5 or so nerite snails to assist with cleanup. They would certainly fit with your theme. Or I'd go with the one SAE. They could certainly work as a group but live fine solo. They do get a bit of size and I'd rather up the schools of the fish you already have. The tetras and cardinals would look lovely in larger groups.
BTW, you can also try leaving the lights out for 48 hours to address your algae issue, see if that works.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

Not a disagreement, just another idea...try 5 or so nerite snails to assist with cleanup. They would certainly fit with your theme. Or I'd go with the one SAE. They could certainly work as a group but live fine solo. They do get a bit of size and I'd rather up the schools of the fish you already have. The tetras and cardinals would look lovely in larger groups.
BTW, you can also try leaving the lights out for 48 hours to address your algae issue, see if that works.
I actually have 2 larger nerites they don’t seem to be touching the hair algae issue I have though. They actually seem less active these days but their shells don’t show any sign of calcium deficiency and I keep up with water changes. They are rather larger.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Would it be okay to add just 1 SAE or is it necessary for them to be in groups. I’ve researched but found mixed info
I’ve kept them as a group and as a single(for longer), I think they benefit from having others though mine seemed fine on his own. They do tend to bother other fish a bit when kept on their own.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

I’ve kept them as a group and as a single(for longer), I think they benefit from having others though mine seemed fine on his own. They do tend to bother other fish a bit when kept on their own.
So I got 3, I did my due diligence in making sure they weren’t flying foxes. They have clear fins, a smudged black like that goes through to the tail. They rest on surfaces and no gold line like in flying foxes.
I did notice today that they do some chasing with each other. I checked fins and no nipping done, they don’t look like they have mouths that can nip fins honestly.

is this concerning behavior or should I not be worried about it. Don’t want to have to deal with aggression.

also noticed the fish getting “chased” doesn’t really run away for cover as I’ve seen in other aggression cases. They swim in circles which makes me think it’s not aggression based either

Upvote 0

fallfever

They are new in the tank and likely setting a pecking order. Wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Arrow1oo

They are new in the tank and likely setting a pecking order. Wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate it, just in the quarantine tank for now but they look healthy.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

So I got 3, I did my due diligence in making sure they weren’t flying foxes. They have clear fins, a smudged black like that goes through to the tail. They rest on surfaces and no gold line like in flying foxes.
I did notice today that they do some chasing with each other. I checked fins and no nipping done, they don’t look like they have mouths that can nip fins honestly.

is this concerning behavior or should I not be worried about it. Don’t want to have to deal with aggression.

also noticed the fish getting “chased” doesn’t really run away for cover as I’ve seen in other aggression cases. They swim in circles which makes me think it’s not aggression based either
It sounds like social behaviour to me. Normal behaviour in a group of fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katie13
  • Question
Replies
Views
Arrow1oo
  • Question
Replies
Views