55 Gallon Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Snailerator, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

55 Gallon. Eheim 2215. Medium Planted.

2 Halfbeaks
    2 male Apisto Borelli or Apisto Agassizii
    15 tiger barbs Or 20-25 Black Ruby Barbs
    3 zebra loaches

More? Less?

Thanks!

2. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

More loaches for sure. They do best in big groups.

I'd personally avoid the tiger barbs. I picture them harassing the apistos.

3. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

Ok. Like 5 loaches? More of anythign else?

4. bizaliz3

Id say more like 6-8 loaches total.

What temperature are you keeping the tank at? Apistos like nice warm water. Like 80-84f. The tiger barbs and the loaches...they prefer mid 70s.

Is this list the current stock or the proposed stock? If it is only the proposed stock, I personally think you should decide which fish you want most and stock around them. If it is the apistos...then get other warmer water fish. If it is the barbs and loaches, then get other fish that like mid 70s. :)

Thats my best suggestion.

5. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

This is a proposed. I am still cycling my tank. I keeping it around 76-78

6. bizaliz3

I'd skip the apistos then personally.

7. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

OK. Thanks for the advice!

8. jinjerJOSH22

jinjerJOSH22Valued MemberMember

I like the Tiger/Zebra combo and in a 55 it should work well.
    I agree with increasing the number of loaches, I currently only have 2 and I see them occasionally I'm hopeful the 3 i'm getting tomorrow will encourage them out a bit more. They are currently in a 33 gallon with 9 Tigers and a Dwarf Gourami.
    I was trying out the DG with the barbs as I was forced to move around my stock. It's going well so far, fins are intact, he's not shy and he feeding, all good.

My suggestion would be:
    15 Tiger Barbs
    6-8 Zebra loaches
    I don't know enough about halfbeaks, I read that 3 females should be kept for every 1 male.

9. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

Ok, I really like the apistos so I think im going to go for a more peaceful tetra/barb/rasbora instead of the tigers. Keep the loachs and apistos. 5 loaches, 2-3 male apisots, and a school of soething with maybe a top dweller.

10. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

What if I replace the apistos with a Geophagus Tapajo or Rams?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  11. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

No, I think a Blue Acara would be better. As long as he is fine with the loaches.

12. jinjerJOSH22

Blue Acara should be fine with the loaches they're quite an easy going cichlid. Water quality is a must, they eat mostly protein so water can deteriorate fast. Your filtration is good tho so as long as you keep up with water changes you should be ok.

13. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

Well now ive beeb thinking the blur acara may be too big. Maybe a Kribensis cichlid would work. They like the same temps as other fish and dont grt too big. 2 males or 2 females? With 5 loaches and 25 tetras or 15 barbs

14. jinjerJOSH22

Couldn't tell you about Kribs but you could definitely keep Blue Acara in a 55 as well as your loaches and tetra or barbs.

15. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

And you dont think he would look too big? I dont want it to look like hes trapped in a tank ya know?

16. jinjerJOSH22

No, they only grow around 6 or so inches, I've currently got 3 in a 52 with a Opaline Gourami, a Delhezi Bichir and there's plenty of room for a shoal of 5 Columbian Tetra i'm adding once they grow a bit.

17. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

R they full grown? If so can I have a pic? And BTW tanks a lot, you've been a big help.

18. jinjerJOSH22

One is about 5 and a half inches, I bought him as an adult the others are under 4.
    Sorry no way to get a pic atm I don't own a mobile.
    The Gourami and Bichir are both over 5 inches and the aquarium still seems a bit spacious. If you want an Acara you won't regret it they are full of personality, once they're used to you you'll be able to feed them out of your hand and they're absolutely stunning.

Btw was that a pun or a typo? Either way my pulcher....

19. jinjerJOSH22

He wouldn't turn when I took this. 20190418_205015.jpg

20. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

Lol. Thanks a lot. I think I'll go with an acara. The loaches, and a schooling fish. Maybe a halfbeak or 2 BC I think they r awesome.