55 Gallon stocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtofish1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am starting a 55 gallon. My second tank - currently have a 15 gallon with a betta and 6 cories. I am having trouble deciding how to stock this one. My son, who is 10, wanted an african cichlid tank. But, as much as I love the colors and their interactions, I do not want to deal with the constant aggression, non-stop chasing, blood-shed, etc.. At the same time, I don't want a cookie cutter peaceful schooling tank. I would love something in the middle. Both my son and I love fish with personality, for example, our betta! I am thinking a semi-aggressive tank with a few smaller species South American cichlids and a school or two is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Some of the fish in the running so far (to pick from, not to include all!)

Angel (heard they have good personalities, though may become agressive)
Bolivian Ram (really like this one)
Keyhole
Apistos
Festivum
Severum (would have to upgrade to larger tank later)
Gourami (unsure on which type, maybe blue gourami?)

As for schools:

Rainbow fish (love the colors)
Roseline sharks (also love the colors - though may be to big to have a school?)
Larger tetras
some type of barb

Again, these are just the ones on the list to choose from, not trying to put all of them in a 55 gallon.

Welcome suggestions, thoughts, which would you choose and how many of each, any fish with big personalities that I am forgetting and can fit in my tank?

Thank you!!!

nicole4434

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those sound like good choices, I have a black marbled angel and some Blue rams in a 75 gallon tank, I know that 55 sounds like a good sized tank for an angel but as angels can achieve a 6 inch height, and a 6-7 inch length you need to fully look at the dimentions of the 55 gallon to see if it would work, my friend has a 55 and it is really narrow from the front to back, though it has the height and the length it could fit in my 75 gallon almost 2 times as I have double the depth, with them my schooling fish are Gold Barbs, Cherry Barbs, Harlequin Rasboras, and I have 3 Honey Gouramis (1 male and 2 female) and 1 Neon Blue Gourami (male), and my fish interact fine but I do have the tank size to deal with territory, I also have C.Trilieatous Cory Catfish (False Julli),
My Blue Rams are really Cool, I have 1 male and 3 females

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A school of lemon tetras with a pair of rams would work. It would be pretty colorful too.

alternately an angel witha pair of the keyholes you suggested have been known to get along together in that sized tank.

i personally also like that blue gourami you suggested, just dont underestimate them, theyre as agressive as the cichlids you suggested,maybe more so.

ThatGuppyGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's quite a variety and choosing the build you want with so many options could be difficult.
I would suggest that you choose your absolute favourite and then we can help you base the tank around that.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 55 gallon standard is plenty of room for a pair of angelfish. In order to get that pair, though, you'll either have to fork out some bucks for a known mated pair, or buy a group of juvies, I'd say 10 or more, and be sure to let the shop you get them from know that you are hoping for a pair and will return/exchange the rest later. You won't be able to keep them all - once an angel pair mates, they won't tolerate other angels in their space.

As for schooling fish, I love the idea of rummynose tetras with angels. Rummies are peaceful, active and amazingly fun to watch, and look great in planted aquaria. You could also do either a pair of BN plecos (make sure it's a m/f pair or two females, males will fight) or a school of either cories or loaches in that tank.

Plecomaker

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 55 gallon standard is plenty of room for a pair of angelfish. In order to get that pair, though, you'll either have to fork out some bucks for a known mated pair, or buy a group of juvies, I'd say 10 or more, and be sure to let the shop you get them from know that you are hoping for a pair and will return/exchange the rest later. You won't be able to keep them all - once an angel pair mates, they won't tolerate other angels in their space.

As for schooling fish, I love the idea of rummynose tetras with angels. Rummies are peaceful, active and amazingly fun to watch, and look great in planted aquaria. You could also do either a pair of BN plecos (make sure it's a m/f pair or two females, males will fight) or a school of either cories or loaches in that tank.
Id go with cories as he already has a school of them n a small tank.

fishfisher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't know how compatible cories would be with congo tetras, but they are very pretty and well tempered. They need 6 plus and a good f/m ratio.
I recommend going to as many lfs and chains that you can and compare the stores, fish, and sales people. Find what you have available to you and if you can afford to order fish online then you have even more choices. Just make sure that you have the choice of fish available to you before you get your hopes up.

BTW rainbows and mollies have great personality. But mollies can get aggressive when alone and you'll want to only have one sex due to fry and possible male aggression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom