55 Gallon Stocking - Would This Work

Swlws

Well Known
Member
Messages
528
Reaction score
645
Location
KZN
Experience
1 year
HI all, anyone that have seen more than a few of my posts know that I have an unstocked and cycled 4ft/55g... well, it has Guppies and Ramshorn in but they can be moved to my 5 gallon if needed. NOW ITS STOCKING TIME! but what? Originally I was going to go with a lot of small (all under 3 inch) but having a big fish or 4 won't be bad but, but as the heading asks, Would This Work?

8 x Guppies (up to 8, only the males so that they can stop breeding)
8 x Neon Tetra
8 x Panda Cory
1 x Bristlenose Pleco
1 x Pearl Gourami
4 x Zebra Loach
 

Jafa

Active Member
Member
Messages
436
Reaction score
247
Location
Tweed Coast. AUSTRALIA
Experience
More than 10 years
Such fun
Zebra loach, nice.
You have top dwellers, bottom dwellers but only one gouramI in the middle? I reckon he needs a friend
Mebbe a snakeskin gouramI
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,456
Reaction score
16,964
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
The only issue I see would be with the pearl gourami. They would do better in warmer water then the rest of the fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Swlws

Swlws

Well Known
Member
Messages
528
Reaction score
645
Location
KZN
Experience
1 year
Jafa said:
Such fun
Zebra loach, nice.
You have top dwellers, bottom dwellers but only one gouramI in the middle? I reckon he needs a friend
what if... I only fill the tank up 2/3rds and only have a top and bottom hmmm... middle dwellers? wouldn't the tetra's be swarming around the middle?
david1978 said:
The only issue I see would be with the pearl gourami. They would do better in warmer water then the rest of the fish.
South African weather = auto warm... I've set my tank to 26C/78F a little warmer than the room temp @24C/75F. I think he'll be comfy in that?
 

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
15,456
Reaction score
16,964
Location
pa usa
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea 78 will work. Sorry I'm used to room temp around 70.
 

NickAu

Well Known
Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
693
Location
Nth NSW Australia
What are your water parameters? what's the PH? is your water soft or hard?

A large school of small fish in a heavily planted tank can be stunning, Water parameters permitting you could easily have 30 or so ChillI or Dwarf Rasboras for example and if you have a sand substrate about 15 or so pygmy cories.

I would not keep zebra loaches with a Lace gouramI as they can get a bit boisterous and the Lace GouramI prefers calm.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Swlws

Swlws

Well Known
Member
Messages
528
Reaction score
645
Location
KZN
Experience
1 year
david1978 said:
Yea 78 will work. Sorry I'm used to room temp around 70.
I wish, my wife would sabotage the life giving aircon if I went that low...
Jafa said:
Dear, dear, dear, Mr Swlws, again you are showing you are so devious
NickAu said:
What are your water parameters? what's the PH? is your water soft or hard?

A large school of small fish in a heavily planted tank can be stunning, Water parameters permitting you could easily have 30 or so ChillI or Dwarf Rasboras for example and if you have a sand substrate about 15 or so pygmy cories.

I would not keep zebra loaches with a Lace gouramI as they can get a bit boisterous and the Lace GouramI prefers calm.
PH 7.2, hardness 9dH and I really wanted all small but my wife showed interest in the tank and want big fish, I want a new tank soon so I'm compromising hard!
Brett S. said:
Have you considered a type of peaceful cichlid like German blue rams. Maybe angelfish? Only problem with Angel's would be the tetras and guppys maybe
hmmm... no to the Blue Ram but Angelfish is a good idea instead of Neons and they get along with the others rather well if I've read up well enough, will need to think on that.
 

Brett S.

Well Known
Member
Messages
571
Reaction score
146
Location
St. Louis MO
Experience
2 years
Swlws said:
I wish, my wife would sabotage the life giving aircon if I went that low...



9dH and I really wanted all small but my wife showed interest in the tank and want big fish, I want a new tank soon so I'm compromising hard!

hmmm... no to the Blue Ram but Angelfish is a good idea instead of Neons and they get along with the others rather well if I've read up well enough, will need to think on that.
Some schooling fish would work with Angel's. Just need to search around and ask some people.
 

Jafa

Active Member
Member
Messages
436
Reaction score
247
Location
Tweed Coast. AUSTRALIA
Experience
More than 10 years
I would L-O-V-E a snakeskin gourami, but I don't think they are available over here
Dave says they don't eat fry or small fish.
You could name her... Gretchen!
Do it for me, p-lease Swlws
She would be an amazing hero in your tank

One sole angel would be awesome too.
 

Brett S.

Well Known
Member
Messages
571
Reaction score
146
Location
St. Louis MO
Experience
2 years
Jafa said:
I would L-O-V-E a snakeskin gourami, but I don't think they are available over here
Dave says they don't eat fry or small fish.
You could name her... Gretchen!
Do it for me, p-lease Swlws
She would be an amazing hero in your tank.
They get up to like 9 inches long...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Swlws

Swlws

Well Known
Member
Messages
528
Reaction score
645
Location
KZN
Experience
1 year
not to mention that this is South Africa, if you don't have it, we don't have it... I think he's out of the question

Ok back to my fist group, besides from "more in the middle", "Zebra Loaches are busy bodies" and "keep it warm" those fish co-exist? I'm guessing that all fry will be DoA but that isn't a deal breaker. and could always swap the loach for... something calmer and more middle dwelling?
 

Jafa

Active Member
Member
Messages
436
Reaction score
247
Location
Tweed Coast. AUSTRALIA
Experience
More than 10 years
Brett S. said:
They get up to like 9 inches long...
Swlws said:
not to mention that this is South Africa, if you don't have it, we don't have it... I think he's out of the question

Ok back to my fist group, besides from "more in the middle", "Zebra Loaches are busy bodies" and "keep it warm" those fish co-exist? I'm guessing that all fry will be DoA but that isn't a deal breaker. and could always swap the loach for... something calmer and more middle dwelling?
Loaches are perky. From my experience they really don't stress placid fish in a sizeable tank. They just do their own thing.
And you will never have a problem with snails.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Swlws

Swlws

Well Known
Member
Messages
528
Reaction score
645
Location
KZN
Experience
1 year
Sydsam said:
I have a moderately planted 55 with one Kissing Gourami, 3 Angles, Mollies, Platys, a school of Neon Tetras, and Guppies as well as mystery snails and bamboo shrimp...They all get along peacefully
Sounds like a neat group, i'm guessing your lack of bottom dwellers is so the shrimp can survive?
 

Sydsam

Active Member
Member
Messages
190
Reaction score
87
Location
Tennessee
Experience
Just started
Swlws said:
Sounds like a neat group, i'm guessing your lack of bottom dwellers is so the shrimp can survive?
Sorry, I do have cory cats, and my shrimp are large shrimp, so no one messes with them. I have large Amano shrimp and bamboo shrimp..but my mollies and platys swim all the time at the bottom of the tank...my angels do too when there is food...lol...and the neons tend to stay close to the bottom and mid of the tank...my gouramI is everywhere.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
83
Guests online
2,084
Total visitors
2,167

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom