55 gallon stocking questions

1. weeman90 Initiate Member

hey i got a 55 gallon fresh water tank. i wanna put some ghost shrimp in my tank. what other fish would be best to stick with the ghost shrimp? i was thinking of some other cool fish to put in the tank would be the bala shark or some neon tetras, and other cool lookin colorful fish. please help me with what would be best to put with ghost shrimp. thanks

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Bala sharks not only get quite large, but are very active swimmers and prefer to be kept in groups. They aren't really suitable for a 55 gallon tank.

Neons would work just fine with ghost shrimp, and there are lots of other species of tetras that are compatible with them as well. Von Rio, green fire, cardinal, rummynose, lemon, etc... just go with tetras that are small and relatively calm.

Ghost shrimp in a community tank is doable, but just remember that any fish that are large enough to eat the shrimp will do so. What other fish did you have in mind?

3. weeman90 Initiate Member

well my tank is ready to put fish in. got my water tested today pet store said its fine to get fish. and to do a water change in 3 days. so i bought a water conditioner for when i do my 20% water change. i also bought 3 neon tetras and 2 tiger barbs, and 6 ghost shrimp. anybody have any suggestions on fish to add. looking for colorfull small fish... dont want them eating my ghost shrimp..

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the Forum!!! Just make sure you have hiding places for your shrimp because any fish might consider them a snack. Good Luck

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello & Welcome to Fishlore!

My advice is to get your own test kit. He said your water is fine, did he give you the readings? The best test kit is the API liquid master kit, it tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

It's great you got some fish but it would be a good idea to get at least 3 more Tiger Barbs as they are a schooling fish. It'll make them happier and better temperment toward other tankmates. Uping your Neons to 5 would be better too.

For the bottom you could do a school of 5 Corydora catfish and a Bristlenose Pleco and/or 2 Pictus cats with a Bristlenose. Maybe a school of Rainbow fish. They have nice color. If you want a school of fish that stay near the top you could do Danios. Another cool Tetra is the Columbian Red Fin, they get about 2.5", Serpae Tetra & Bloodfin Tetra, 2". Just thinking in the size range of your Tiger Barbs which is 2.5". Never mind the pictus, forgot you had Ghost Shrimp. lol

Check this community to build with Tiger Barbs.
    http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c106community5barbs.htm

6. AdkRaptor Initiate Member

I have red tail sharks, they are great

7. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore and congrats on the cycle completion.

Hope to see some pics soon. Best of luck! :;hf

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello WeeMan and Welcome to Fish Lore. Some great tips and suggestion above. I too would like to see you with your own API (liquid) Master Test Kit. I think it would help you to feel better about your fish and tank knowing exactly where you stand chemistry wise. Best of luck and I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Ken