55 Gallon Stocking Questions.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that had African cichlids in it. I’m move a far distance, so fold them all. Now when I move, I want to know what fish to get. The first thing to come to mind were tiger barbs. I love their how aggressive they are and how they look. But I don’t want them to be the only species in the tank. What other, hopefully larger fish can I put with them? I was thinking maybe some archer fish, but I don’t want to squeeze them in a tank too small. A species that is 4 to 6 inches is most preferable. It would also help if you gave me numbers of how many fish to get. Also I would like some sort of Cory or loach for the clean up crew. Thanks!!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of my highlighted fish is toxotes blythii. That would give you a smaller archer species, and you could keep them in freshwater with no problems unlike some of the other commonly available. I also coated the aquarium in java fern, aponogeton, and red mangroves. I also recommend some freshwater goby species, not brackish. I would be okay with 3 archers in a 55 as long as you can keep the bioload in check.

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
One of my highlighted fish is toxotes blythii. That would give you a smaller archer species, and you could keep them in freshwater with no problems unlike some of the other commonly available. I also coated the aquarium in java fern, aponogeton, and red mangroves. I also recommend some freshwater goby species, not brackish. I would be okay with 3 archers in a 55 as long as you can keep the bioload in check.
After some further research, i found that people do not tend to have much luck with bottom dwellers, so I can live without them. Also, I like everything about toxotes blythii.... except their price tag. The cheapest I found was 45$ a fish which is a little too much for me at this current point. I was planning on getting some Manzanita wood with java fern and anubias. Side note: I would love to see a picture of your aquarium

Preston Landolt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update: I have been doing a little not digging, and I think I found a fish that will not clash with a Tiger Barb. The American Flag Fish. They eat algae, same body shape of a Tiger Barb, and don’t get too big. Any thoughts

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom