55 Gallon Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Zora, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Z

Zora New Member Member

I have a spotted african leaf fish that I've had for about 6 years now. About 3 months ago I moved him from a 30 gallon to a 55 gallon tank. I'm wondering if I could put a rainbow shark in with him? or would it bother him too much cause he's a pretty laid back fish who likes to spend his days in his plant. There is a common pleco in there who I now understand was a bad choice in pleco because I need to find him a new home. He's just too big.

So to summerize (cause I ramble too much), I have a spotted african leaf fish and a large pleco (who will be leaving soon). Will a rainbow shark be too active or otherwise incompatible with my leaf fish in a 55 gallon tank? If not are there any other fish I could look into? I don't want a lot of fish, I just want the tank to not look so empty.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

It could work in theory...but you'll have some temp problems with them. Rainbows like 72-79 degrees while the African Leaf likes 79-88 degrees. So you really don't have a big window. I'm not sure how much affected the African Leaf will be when it comes to pH.

Have you considered maybe a school tetras to fill the tank? 55g doesn't allow you to have big fish due to it's depth.

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Zora New Member Member

Wouldn't he eat tetras? I had a betta tank break once and I thought he was too big for the leaf fish to eat. I had no where else to put the betta so I dropped him in and went to the store for a new tank. I was gone for 20 minutes and when I came back the betta tail was sticking out of my leaf fishes mouth... He may not be a big fishy but he has a huge mouth. I'll look up tetras and see what I find. Thank you.

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

If it could eat a betta it could eat most tetras. Only thing is the betta was probably just sitting on top of the tank making it an easy target for the leaf. The tetras would be all over the place and harder to catch. But the leaf will eat any he catches.

5. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

Congo tetras. They get big, they're pretty and are decently tough. Get some that are already several inches long and they should stay out of your leaf fish's mouth.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

Zora New Member Member

Congo tetras look pretty. I'll see if I can get my hands on some adults and see how they fare. Thanks everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice