55 Gallon Stocking Question

1. Nichole Bearden Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with a Marineland Bio-wheel 350 and a sponge filter. The tank has been running for about 4 months now. We have 5 giant danios, 4 blue rams, 5 guppies, 4 tetra serpaes, 5 neon tetras, 1 blue gourami, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 cory cat, and 1 pleco. My problem is ammonia I can't keep it under control. I found a filter that said it scrubbed ammonia out but it doesn't seem to be working. Can someone suggest something to help? What can I do to fix the problem.?

2. Tiffany_e97 Member Member

Hi Nicole! Did you test Your tank after the 4 months was over to make sure it was cycled properly? If so, and there is still an excess ammonia build up, the tank could be overstocked. To combat this issue without having to rehouse your fish, I recommend 2 things.

1. Do daily 30% water changes, most of the time changing out 30% of the tank water will remove enough excess ammonia to make it a safe environment for the fish.

2. Invest in a product called seachem prime. Seachem prime has been a lifesaver for me, but it has to be used properly. In short, this product converts ammonia into ammonium by adding another hydrogen ion I believe. Ammonium is non toxic to fish thus making any excess ammonia harmless, there is a catch however. Seachem prime works for a very short period of time, around 24-72 hours. After this time period the extra hydrogen ion is dissolved, turning ammonium back into ammonia again. This is a great product, but you absolutely have to stay on top of things!
    Using there 2 methods combined I think you'll definitely see a positive change in your ammonia levels!

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Have you cleaned the filter recently?

Has there always been ammonia or is this just recent?

How much ammonia?

I would start off by doing a few large water changes (60-70%) over a few days to see if you can get ammonia to 0