55 gallon stocking options

Matthew052248

I’m thinking about getting a new 55 gallon tank with the top fin silenstream 75 power filter. Or I may go on Facebook marketplace to get a cheaper one and buy the aqua clear A615. (don’t know which option to go through, so let me know what you think about that as well) I know the filter capacity is important hence why I put it in here. I was originally thinking about getting 1 angel fish with maybe 15-20 neon tetras plus 6 albino/peppered Cory’s. ( I don’t which one I like better so haven’t fully decided on it) and then like 20-30 cherry shrimp. i don’t think this would be too overstocked but I’m not an expert. Do you think these stocking options are okay? Just concerned about the angel fish as I’ve read that sometimes they may be aggressive and sometimes neon tetras will nip fins. let me know what you think, any help will be appreciated. thanks!

silver24

I’m thinking about getting a new 55 gallon tank with the top fin silenstream 75 power filter. Or I may go on Facebook marketplace to get a cheaper one and buy the aqua clear A615. (don’t know which option to go through, so let me know what you think about that as well) I know the filter capacity is important hence why I put it in here. I was originally thinking about getting 1 angel fish with maybe 15-20 neon tetras plus 6 albino/peppered Cory’s. ( I don’t which one I like better so haven’t fully decided on it) and then like 20-30 cherry shrimp. i don’t think this would be too overstocked but I’m not an expert. Do you think these stocking options are okay? Just concerned about the angel fish as I’ve read that sometimes they may be aggressive and sometimes neon tetras will nip fins. let me know what you think, any help will be appreciated. thanks!
stocking sounds fine i would personally do more angel fish, are you getting plants also, maybe you want to upgrade to a Fluval 307

Matthew052248

stocking sounds fine i would personally do more angel fish, are you getting plants also, maybe you want to upgrade to a Fluval 307
Thanks for the reply! Honestly as of right now I probably would not get plants. I forgot to mention that. I just have always had bad experiences and I can’t get it right. I do realize that’s a problem and def one of my goals in the future would have plants. And about the fluval 307, I’ve actually read a lot about filters and have a
had a lot of experience with HOB filters. I feel as canister filters would be too confusing if that makes sense. Would me not getting plants affect anything about my stocking option?
I maybe could get plants but without using fertilizer. do you know any plants that do not require fertilizer and can become healthy on just light?

kansas

The angelfish will eat the shrimp.

Matthew052248

The angelfish will eat the shrimp.
Thanks for the reply! tbh I don’t mind, I think that if I get alot of cherry shrimp, with hiding places, and them breeding, that I won’t run short. I probably will be proven wrong and now that I think of i probably won’t get shrimp XD, I can probably settle for some more neon tetras or some snails even
Thanks for the reply! Honestly as of right now I probably would not get plants. I forgot to mention that. I just have always had bad experiences and I can’t get it right. I do realize that’s a problem and def one of my goals in the future would have plants. And about the fluval 307, I’ve actually read a lot about filters and have a
had a lot of experience with HOB filters. I feel as canister filters would be too confusing if that makes sense. Would me not getting plants affect anything about my stocking option?

I maybe could get plants but without using fertilizer. do you know any plants that do not require fertilizer and can become healthy on just light?
If it helps, I will also be using carbisea super naturals aquarium sand. I’ve heard that that is a very nutrient sand, would that also help the plants grow if I do not use fertilize?

kansas

Thanks for the reply! tbh I don’t mind, I think that if I get alot of cherry shrimp, with hiding places, and them breeding, that I won’t run short. I probably will be proven wrong and now that I think of i probably won’t get shrimp XD, I can probably settle for some more neon tetras or some snails even

If it helps, I will also be using carbisea super naturals aquarium sand. I’ve heard that that is a very nutrient sand, would that also help the plants grow if I do not use fertilize?
I just set up a 55 with one angelfish, six honey gourami and a pair of apistos.

It's heavily planted with rock caves. My hope is that the gouramis will be able to avoid the angel and that there are enough so it can't single one out, and that the apistos stay down low out of the way.

Kind of nervous that the angel will be too aggressive but I'm hoping with 9 fish in 55 gallons of water with lots of hiding places will work out. If not, I'll hafta rehome the angel.

I'll be putting some shrimp in once I finish breaking down a 15, but I don't expect to see much of them.

TClare

Make sure to get the neon tetras before the angelfish, and start with small angels. Then they probably won't eat the neons.

Matthew052248

Make sure to get the neon tetras before the angelfish, and start with small angels. Then they probably won't eat the neons.
. . . and maybe the neons.
do you think that the angels will eat the neons? , what other stocking do u recommend?
sounds good! thanks!

It's heavily planted with rock caves. My hope is that the gouramis will be able to avoid the angel and that there are enough so it can't single one out, and that the apistos stay down low out of the way.

Kind of nervous that the angel will be too aggressive but I'm hoping with 9 fish in 55 gallons of water with lots of hiding places will work out. If not, I'll hafta rehome the angel.

I'll be putting some shrimp in once I finish breaking down a 15, but I don't expect to see much of them.
are Apistos cichlids?

TClare

Yes apistos are cichlids!

I have 6 large angelfish with neon tetras. They grew up with the neons and have not eaten any.

Matthew052248

are Apistos cichlids?
Yes apistos are cichlids!

I have 6 large angelfish with neon tetras. They grew up with the neons and have not eaten any.
oh thats awesome. that gives me alot of hope. other people on this forum had just said that the neon tetras may be become food. hopefully thats not the case if I do side with them. do you think maybe cardinal tetras may be the better choice as they are slightly larger?

RogueFebreze

If you want interesting fish, I would go with puffers or apisto cichlids. Angels will eat your shrimp and maybe the neons, and angels are better to keep in mated pairs. They will mate for life, so keeping them in odd numbers isn't always the best.

kansas

The problem with angels if you get two and they're both males, it's mayhem. If you get a breeding pair, they take over the tank. If you get a bunch, you'll get a pair.

There are a lot of different apistos out there, with very different needs and tempers.

Linda1234

I think there is a good chance over the years the angel will eventually develop a taste for the neon. Cardinals can also be eaten by angels but they do get quite a bit larger than neon also cardinals prefer the warmer waters that angels like so i'd go with cardinals over neon if you have to get one of the two. For a 55 i'd stick with one angel; 2 is likely to just create problems when they become adults though a lot depends on the individual fishes and their sexes. I have 8 in a 120 and it is never really tranquil among the angels as they are always finding reasons to blind-side each other and this is after several years of adjusting the stocking to end up with fairly passive angels (relative to what used to be in the aquarium). My aquarium has extremely dense planting with places a fish can hide 100% so when sufficiently beaten up they can always find a spot to rest up for a few days and then get back into the game of whacking each other.

To be honest for tetra you might also consider serape, black phantom, rosy white fin, diamond, black neon and a few others; though I have a personal soft spot for cardinals and keep 20 with my angels. Over the years a few get damaged (whether it is from breeding angels or something else I cannot say for sure but i tend to have 2 or so die a year (but not actually eaten).

For apisto i highly recommend borelli for a number of reasons; they are relatively passive; quite attractive and can handle a wide range of water conditions and temperature. They are a bit on the smaller side which is the only negative esp with larger fishes like angels but a single angel will likely leave them alone. Another dwarf cichlid i like a lot are Latacara araguaiae; they are not long (4 inch) but they are bulky colourful and have a lot of personality. With borelli you could get 1 male and 2 females (or 1 female); and with the araguaiae you would want 1 male and 1 female. A single male borelli will do fine but for the araguaiae you would want a female to bring out both the colours and personality of the fish.

Matthew052248

I think there is a good chance over the years the angel will eventually develop a taste for the neon. Cardinals can also be eaten by angels but they do get quite a bit larger than neon also cardinals prefer the warmer waters that angels like so i'd go with cardinals over neon if you have to get one of the two. For a 55 i'd stick with one angel; 2 is likely to just create problems when they become adults though a lot depends on the individual fishes and their sexes. I have 8 in a 120 and it is never really tranquil among the angels as they are always finding reasons to blind-side each other and this is after several years of adjusting the stocking to end up with fairly passive angels (relative to what used to be in the aquarium). My aquarium has extremely dense planting with places a fish can hide 100% so when sufficiently beaten up they can always find a spot to rest up for a few days and then get back into the game of whacking each other.

To be honest for tetra you might also consider serape, black phantom, rosy white fin, diamond, black neon and a few others; though I have a personal soft spot for cardinals and keep 20 with my angels. Over the years a few get damaged (whether it is from breeding angels or something else I cannot say for sure but i tend to have 2 or so die a year (but not actually eaten).

For apisto i highly recommend borelli for a number of reasons; they are relatively passive; quite attractive and can handle a wide range of water conditions and temperature. They are a bit on the smaller side which is the only negative esp with larger fishes like angels but a single angel will likely leave them alone. Another dwarf cichlid i like a lot are Latacara araguaiae; they are not long (4 inch) but they are bulky colourful and have a lot of personality. With borelli you could get 1 male and 2 females (or 1 female); and with the araguaiae you would want 1 male and 1 female. A single male borelli will do fine but for the araguaiae you would want a female to bring out both the colours and personality of the fish.
Wow that was a lot to take. Very insightful so thank you for that! Yea maybe i should hold back on the neons. I've shifted more in the cardinal tetra area but those other tetras are other great suggestions! I don't think i will get cichilds to be honest with you. I feel as it may be a little harder and more time consuming than others to take care of. Also where I live cichilds aren't very popular unless i were to buy them online but who knows where those come from.I 've always been a fan of like having one sole boss in the tank like a center piece fish and then schooling fish surronding it. Having just one species may get a little boring in my opinion anyways. I'll definitely look more into it though. Based off the suggestions of other tetras, do you think those are less likely to be eaten? Or do they have the same risk? Also maybe there is other species of fish that are non tetras that you may like and may be appropriate for my tank, feel free to suggest!

RogueFebreze

Wow that was a lot to take. Very insightful so thank you for that! Yea maybe i should hold back on the neons. I've shifted more in the cardinal tetra area but those other tetras are other great suggestions! I don't think i will get cichilds to be honest with you. I feel as it may be a little harder and more time consuming than others to take care of. Also where I live cichilds aren't very popular unless i were to buy them online but who knows where those come from.I 've always been a fan of like having one sole boss in the tank like a center piece fish and then schooling fish surronding it. Having just one species may get a little boring in my opinion anyways. I'll definitely look more into it though. Based off the suggestions of other tetras, do you think those are less likely to be eaten? Or do they have the same risk? Also maybe there is other species of fish that are non tetras that you may like and may be appropriate for my tank, feel free to suggest!
congo tetras are a larger species, still attractive, and relatively easy to find in fish stores, and also easy to find online from places like wetspot

Matthew052248

i
congo tetras are a larger species, still attractive, and relatively easy to find in fish stores, and also easy to find online from places like wetspot
interesting, can congo tetras be kept with angel fish?

Matthew052248

alright, so what about these stocking options:
1 angel fish
9 albino corys/peppered corys (don't know which one i prefer but regardless 9 corys)
8 congo tetras

RogueFebreze

that would work in my opinion

silver24

alright, so what about these stocking options:
1 angel fish
9 albino corys/peppered corys (don't know which one i prefer but regardless 9 corys)
8 congo tetras
Getting a pair of angels and you could definitely do a few more congos if you want

Matthew052248

Getting a pair of angels and you could definitely do a few more congos if you want
I don't think I would get another angel fish, at that point it may be a little bit overstock, would there be any other centerpiece fish that you can recommend just in case I don't go with the angel fish?

RogueFebreze

I don't think I would get another angel fish, at that point it may be a little bit overstock, would there be any other centerpiece fish that you can recommend just in case I don't go with the angel fish?
What do you look for in a center piece fish? Do you just want a pretty fish that swims around? Or do you want a less flashy fish that has more interesting behavior/personality?

Matthew052248

What do you look for in a center piece fish? Do you just want a pretty fish that swims around? Or do you want a less flashy fish that has more interesting behavior/personality?
I don't know really? I don't mind lol. I just want like a main fish that catches ur attention like its the boss basically if that makes sense. I'm open to anything. the type of stocking of tanks that I like is where theres like the one main fish, the one big one, and then small schooling fish around it swimming down the tank constantly, and then probably a couple snails or whatever the other options may be. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Bgreen82

I don't think i will get cichilds to be honest with you.
Angelfish are cichlids

RogueFebreze

Hmmm, for flashy colorful fish, can't go wrong with a school or 2 of rainbows or a group of gourami. For interesting fish maybe a smaller knife species like the African brown Knifefish. For high personality fish, you could do some interesting communities with cichlids or my all time favorites, puffers.

Matthew052248

Angelfish are cichlids
I meant like a cichlid only tank. I don't want one of those if that makes sense. sorry for confusion
Hmmm, for flashy colorful fish, can't go wrong with a school or 2 of rainbows or a group of gourami. For interesting fish maybe a smaller knife species like the African brown Knifefish. For high personality fish, you could do some interesting communities with cichlids or my all time favorites, puffers.
I've heard alot about rainbow fish but unfortunately I don't think they sell it around me. I definitely will call some lfs to see if they have it though. im pretty sure there's a couple types of rainbow fish so what do you recommend? unless there's only one kind

Bgreen82

You could get a group of bosemani rainbows and build the tank around them. You said you don’t want plants so that would give them open space to swim and they are beautiful fish.

RogueFebreze

I agree with bgreen, but really you could go with whatever rainbow you find the most attractive. If you can't find them locally, you can always look for some online at places like wet spot. I've always had good experiences with them. They have a ton right now if you want to look at some for reference.
Current Stock – Fish : The Wet Spot Tropical Fish

Matthew052248

I agree with bgreen, but really you could go with whatever rainbow you find the most attractive. If you can't find them locally, you can always look for some online at places like wet spot. I've always had good experiences with them
are all rainbow fish schooling fish?

RogueFebreze

are all rainbow fish schooling fish?
yes. you would want at least 6. you could probably fit 2-3 schools of 6 each in a 55 gallon

ProudPapa

yes. you would want at least 6. you could probably fit 2-3 schools of 6 each in a 55 gallon

I think it looks better to have one, or maybe two, larger schools instead of multiple small ones.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Morayeel
Replies
Views
Josh752
  • Question
Replies
Views
Aunyua
Replies