55 Gallon Stocking Ideas

freshwaterninja

Reaction score
Howdy,

I’m currently in the process of cycling my new 55 gallon aquarium, which I expect to be ready for fish in about three to four weeks. In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out some good combinations of fish to stock my tank with. Any recommendations or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! This is what I’m thinking as of right now:

12 rummynose tetras
12 cardinal tetras
8 Kuhli loaches
1 blue eyed lemon plecostomus
4 angel rams
2 golden rams
2 dwarf gouramis

Please let me know if any of the above fish will have compatibility problems!

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will you be able to find female dwarf gourami? Although your tank is very large, male dwarf gourami can be very aggressive with each other and it’s very difficult to be successful keeping 2 males together, though females can be just as mean sometimes. You may want to consider honey or pearl gourami instead.

I also think that’s too many rams for a 55 as male rams will be extremely territorial and aggressive to other males. Although a 55 may be large enough for more than one pair, it’s better to just have one pair per tank, though it depends on the personality of the male and if the pairs are able to break up your tank into territory.

OP
freshwaterninja

freshwaterninja

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
Will you be able to find female dwarf gourami? Although your tank is very large, male dwarf gourami can be very aggressive with each other and it’s very difficult to be successful keeping 2 males together, though females can be just as mean sometimes. You may want to consider honey or pearl gourami instead.

I also think that’s too many rams for a 55 as male rams will be extremely territorial and aggressive to other males. Although a 55 may be large enough for more than one pair, it’s better to just have one pair per tank, though it depends on the personality of the male and if the pairs are able to break up your tank into territory.
Thanks for your input! What if I did one pair of angel rams and one pair of gold rams, or do you think that’s still too much?
I’m planning on this tank being heavily planted, so I was hoping that could make up for the territorial nature of both the rams and the DG’s.

New Threads