55 Gallon Tank 55 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Bat26

Reaction score
So I somehow managed to get my parents to let me get another 55 so I can move my giant danios from the 20 (I was a dummy and didn't do enough research before getting them). I've had a couple ideas, but I'm very indecisive so I keep changing my mind on which fish to get.
I was thinking about 6 giant danios, a bristlenose pleco, and a blood parrot OR a firemouth cichlid, but I've been thinking about doing something with fish that are maybe a little less aggressive.
I'm open to anything as long as it can live with the danios since I already have them.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh you have giant danios? Lucky.... I love them. I have pearl danios and have always wanted GDs, but have never made the jump.

A blood parrot could work. Keep the water around 77 degrees and they'll both be comfortable.

What you might like is some sort of gourami. I got a dwarf gourami as the centerpiece fish in my 75G tank a year ago and instantly fell in love. They're super personable and enjoy hanging out with their owners, and they're less aggressive than either of those cichlids will be. Maybe an opaline gourami if you want a big one or a dwarf gouami if you want a smaller one.

Lastly, since you've already convinced your parents to let you get the new tank, you should try to convince them to get you a 75G tank. It's the exact same length and height as a 55 gallon, but is 6 inches wider. It will only cost $50 to $100 more for the tank, stand, and filter combined and will take up the same space as the 55G. I think you'll enjoy the extra 6 inches of depth.

Bat26

Reaction score
I've thought about maybe doing angels, but I was worried the danios might nip or stress them with all their zipping around. I definitely want a dwarf gourami, but I'm planning on that for another tank, so I wasn't going to do that in this one. I haven't looked at opaline gourami, I'll have to look into it.
As for getting a 75, I don't think that will happen because of money. Even though it isn't that much more it's still more and that's really enough money to take one of my dogs to the vet for his shots. I can provide for the animals I have and for the few more that I'm getting, I just have to make sure I can continue to provide for them throughout their whole lives.
(sorry, I didn't mean to make this so long)

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've thought about maybe doing angels, but I was worried the danios might nip or stress them with all their zipping around. I definitely want a dwarf gourami, but I'm planning on that for another tank, so I wasn't going to do that in this one. I haven't looked at opaline gourami, I'll have to look into it.
As for getting a 75, I don't think that will happen because of money. Even though it isn't that much more it's still more and that's really enough money to take one of my dogs to the vet for his shots. I can provide for the animals I have and for the few more that I'm getting, I just have to make sure I can continue to provide for them throughout their whole lives.
(sorry, I didn't mean to make this so long)
Dwarf Gouramis are great fish. You'll like them. Everyone does.

Angels and danios really shouldn't be kept together long term due to temperature issues. You really want to keep angelfish in 80 degree water and you want your danios to be in water around 75 degrees. Keeping danios in water that is too warm will shorten their lifespan and keeping angels in water that is too cool with lower their immune system.

And yes, there's always the chance that danios will nip at their long fins. I wouldn't worry about the nipping too much though. Angels and gouramis both have long strung out pelvic fins. But I've never had an issue with it. Danios aren't aggressive, just playful. So they may playfully nip at the long fins of either of these fish, but gouramis and angels can be aggressive so they'll stand up for themselves and teach the danio not to do it again.

In my tank, the gourami frequently tells the danios to "knock it off" when they're screwing around in his territory and annoying him. He'll chase them until they leave his area.

Bat26

Reaction score
I've been looking around at some different things and I still haven't decided exactly which fish I would want. Could I maybe try electric blue acara? And if I did decide on a firemouth or a blood parrot, which one would be better?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been looking around at some different things and I still haven't decided exactly which fish I would want. Could I maybe try electric blue acara? And if I did decide on a firemouth or a blood parrot, which one would be better?
Not really an answer but you could do a pair or more of keyhole cichlids with an angelfish. Very peaceful!

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Blue Acara are great, they aren't typically bothered by the things racing above them and the are super personable.
I believe FireMouth Cichlids prefer warmer water. I don't know about Parrots.

Bat26

Reaction score
Not really an answer but you could do a pair or more of keyhole cichlids with an angelfish. Very peaceful!
I think that would look really pretty, but I have to find something to live with my danios since I already have them.
I know you were thinking cichlids, but

How about rainbow fish, possibly boesmani rainbows, and kribensis cichlids?
I haven't thought about them. I'll definitely have to look at them.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think that would look really pretty, but I have to find something to live with my danios since I already have them.

I haven't thought about them. I'll definitely have to look at them.
Most cichlids won't work with danios due to temperature requirements and aggression. Blue acaras and need water over 80 degrees, danios prefer water in the lower half of the 70s most of the year.

The exceptions would be blood parrots and bolivian ram cichlids. I don't see any issues keeping them with danios. If you do a blood parrot, keep the water around 77. If you do bolivian rams, keep the water around 75.

jinjerJOSH22

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most cichlids won't work with danios due to temperature requirements and aggression. Blue acaras and need water over 80 degrees, danios prefer water in the lower half of the 70s most of the year.

The exceptions would be blood parrots and bolivian ram cichlids. I don't see any issues keeping them with danios. If you do a blood parrot, keep the water around 77. If you do bolivian rams, keep the water around 75.
Blue Acara are fine to keep around 77.

Bat26

Reaction score
After looking at a bunch of other fish, I think I'm going to stick with the blood parrot. I don't know what it is, but it's just something about their cute little faces that makes them so cute to me.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
After looking at a bunch of other fish, I think I'm going to stick with the blood parrot. I don't know what it is, but it's just something about their cute little faces that makes them so cute to me.

They're smart and personable. By feeding them and watching them through the tank, they'll start to trust you. After that, you can hand feed them bloodworms and stuff. Some will even like to be pet! Just make sure you have no lotion on your hands, your hands are wet, and be gentle, no scratching!

Bat26

Reaction score

They're smart and personable. By feeding them and watching them through the tank, they'll start to trust you. After that, you can hand feed them bloodworms and stuff. Some will even like to be pet! Just make sure you have no lotion on your hands, your hands are wet, and be gentle, no scratching!
I've always loved how they have such personality. Every time I go to the pet store they follow me around the tank. And I didn't know some of them like to be pet, one of my bettas sometimes likes it, but he can be moody so sometimes he wants to be loved on and sometimes he comes and bites me.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've always loved how they have such personality. Every time I go to the pet store they follow me around the tank. And I didn't know some of them like to be pet, one of my bettas sometimes likes it, but he can be moody so sometimes he wants to be loved on and sometimes he comes and bites me.
Ya I think they like the affection. Some fish like when you just sit with them and stare at each other and they communicate by flaring their fins and stuff, some like when you play with them (dangle something for them to chase) or hand feed them, and some like to be pet. A lot of schooling fish will want nothing to do with you. My danios are that way, I still love them though haha.

Snailerator

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I somehow managed to get my parents to let me get another 55 so I can move my giant danios from the 20 (I was a dummy and didn't do enough research before getting them). I've had a couple ideas, but I'm very indecisive so I keep changing my mind on which fish to get.
I was thinking about 6 giant danios, a bristlenose pleco, and a blood parrot OR a firemouth cichlid, but I've been thinking about doing something with fish that are maybe a little less aggressive.
I'm open to anything as long as it can live with the danios since I already have them.
Look into Blue Acaras. They r big, pretty, and generally peaceful.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom