55 Gallon Stocking Help

Teddie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My dad recently got a 55 gallon tank with what I believe are two 30-40 gallon filters (I have no idea, don’t really recognize them) and he went out today and put 10 neon tetras, 6 glo tetras, and 2 male mollies in the tank.
They’ve all been getting along except for the 2 male mollies. One seems to be chasing the other and nipping at his bottom fin. Is this normal to establish dominance or should I return the aggressive male? I don’t want to overrun the tank with fry so I’d rather not get any females.

Also, would he be able to add any other fish to it or would that be too much?

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If that's all the tank has in it you could add some more fish. Don't blame you about the mollies but I doubt any real harm would come from them harassing eachother. In my experience they aren't really territorial, just really stupid and will try to mate with anything.

ThePetPavilion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could add 3-4 female mollies, the other fish will prob eat the fry. You are 46% stocked. If you add a BN pleco you will be 56% stocked.

TJW

Reaction score
Maybe a Bolivian ram or 3 and some corys to patrol the bottom.

Teddie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
If that's all the tank has in it you could add some more fish. Don't blame you about the mollies but I doubt any real harm would come from them harassing eachother. In my experience they aren't really territorial, just really stupid and will try to mate with anything.
Yea they’ve seemed to settle down now and are minding their own business, guess they were just being stupid.

TJW said:
Maybe a Bolivian ram or 3 and some corys to patrol the bottom.
He was thinking about adding around 6 corys but wasn’t sure which one would be best. The pet store only had panda, albino, and skunk corys and I think he was leaning more towards the panda ones.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom