55 gallon stocking advice please!

mllona

Hello! I am currently mid-cycle (fish-less) on my first 55 gallon (48x13x21") and I am so excited to add fish! I've been doing a lot of research (this is only my second aquarium ever and my first is only a 10gal) and using AqAdvisor liberally but I figured I'd pop in here and run my idea by all you lovely people before adding fish. The current stocking list I'm considering is as follows:
I have a couple main questions, I've seen a lot of mixed information on the following: 1) Do you think the gourami and ram will do well together? 2) Are Bolivian rams better off on their own or in groups?

If it helps determine anything, I'm currently planning to use a 125G-rated sponge filter with an Eheim 400 Air Pump for filtration.

The list above encompasses basically all of my favorite fish so far but since I'm pretty new to the hobby I am super open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance!!

ETA: other info on the tank in case it is relevant - I have the substrate split, half is fine sand and half is Seachem fluorite gravel; the gravel is quite heavily planted; there is quite a bit of driftwood and several rock hiding spots in the sand.

ProudPapa

Hello,
  • I've never kept rams, but it's my understanding that they do better in pairs.
  • I do have pearl gouramis, and I'd advise more than 2. I currently have 9 in a 40 gallon breeder tank, but 7 are still adolescents, so I don't know yet how it will work as they reach sexual maturity. However, I feel confident in saying that you'd be fine with 3 or 4, but I'd try to get only one male.
  • I don't have any information on how the two will work together, but gouramis spend most of their time close to the top of the tank, and I believe rams spend most of theirs near the bottom, so I'd say it's got a good chance. Hopefully someone else will reply with more information.
  • Lemon tetras are great fish. I have around 20 in my 65 gallon tank.
  • Corys are always a good choice. I have pygmys in my 20 long, pandas in the 65, and trilineatus in the 40.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Eaton
Replies
Views
Katie13
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies