1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

55 Gallon Stock

1. J

Juan Santiago New Member Member

Hi all have a 55 gallon for about 5 months 4 tiger barbs 4 glo tetras 2 platys 2 blue gourami 5 panda corys 1 congo tetra and a pleco i want to get a rainbow shark but dont know if that will overload me or 2 more tiger barbs?

2. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

They’re not really a fish that takes up much room but a rainbow shark will want his own decoration or cave as his territory. Other than that I think you’re fine.

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks so much. been fun with this tank want another lol

Advertisement

4. RainBetta

RainBetta Valued Member Member

You have some issues in your tank. First of all, do you mean glolight Tetras or GloFish?

Tiger barbs shouldn't be in a tank with Congo tetras or any gouramis as they will nip their fins/feelers.

Congo Tetras need to be in schools of 6+

I'd modify your stock if you want a Rainbow shark. Here's what I'd do:

x8 tiger barbs
    x8 glo tetras
    x6 cories
    x3 platies
    x1 Pleco
    x1 Rainbow Shark

But again, tiger barbs aren't compatible with any gouramis or Congo Tetras. @Bradley Moles sorry but the curreant stocking isn't fine at all

Advertisement

5. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for your opinion the tank does great how it is. Ill be getting theshark tomorrow good luck with ur fish

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

The 2 more tiger barbs are a good idea so their aggression is directed to each other instead of other species.

Seems you asked for advice and didn’t like what you heard.

Come back in 2-3 months and let us know how the Congo and gourami are doing.

7. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Not a good idea asking for our advice and completely cherry-picking the things you like out of it. I agree with @RainBetta on this one. Your stocking has many issues. If you don’t want to fix it, then please keep an eye on behavioral issues.

8. OP
    OP
    J

They are all doing fine didnt ask about my existing fish as i have zero issues with them asked about the additional fish thanks for the opinions

9. RainBetta

Just because your fish "seem" and "look" good doesn't mean they are. My guppy that had swim bladder disease "looked" happy until he wasn't alive!

10. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the info again good luck

11. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

You asked us if a rainbow shark would be good with your current stocking. There needs to be adjustments to your current stocking before you add a shark, which is what we attempted to help you with. However, you continue to ignore that. It’s fine if you don’t care about fish as much as we do. Just don’t come back to us the next time you need help. Have a nice day.

12. OP
    OP
    J

Yeah i wont come back u dont know everything about every fish thanks again u obviously are on here looking for some stimulation an argument maybe idk maybe ur fish dont argue with u enough all good im going about my day with a smile and a new rainbow shark

13. RainBetta

To answer your question above, no, you can't get a Rainbow Shark. I hope that answers your question

14. GuppyGirl3

GuppyGirl3 New Member Member

@RainBetta, her advice wasn't an opinion, she gave you facts on what is needing to be adjusted in your tank. Dont get a Rainbow Shark until you fix what is going on in your tank

15. OP
    OP
    J

Already got it looks great thanks

16. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

As the op has his fish & has asked for no further stocking advice, thread closed.