55 Gallon Stock Ideas

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

I have an Occelaris Clown and a Blue/Green Chromis in my 10 gallon nano reef. I'm planning on upgrading to a 55 gallon. When they get bigger, I'm also planning on maybe getting a Snowflake Moray to go with them. I like Snowflake Morays because they're very cute and remind me of snakes (which are illegal in Hawaii, where I live) I wan't one with my current fish! HOWEVER, I'm a bit skeptical about getting one. Some sources say that you should go for it, but others say that either the chromis or even the clownfish will become a midnight snack.

Should I keep a Clown and a Chromis with an Eel?

Tony_097

One of the people who got me into the dark side had a 180g reef with a snowflake and a a maroon clown but they do get bigger in size and mood than the most commonly kept clowns. But what I know of his tank is understock with only a yellow tang a coral beauty the maroon and the eel itself the tank was filled with jerks of a considerable size . However I would not trust the eel with chromis no matter how well feed it may be.

coralbandit

A snowflake will out grow a 55 in 6 months fed properly or eat your clown and chromis in less then 2 if not fed properly IMO .
I got mine the size of a pencil and it was all of 2' long and over 1inch thick at 18 months with me in my 120g.
He bit one of my lion fish during feeding once as they don't see well and tend to be a bite first ask questions later fish.
Th lion never ate again and died within the month. He was by then IMO too big for the 120 and had to go ! They say the bacteria in their mouths is fatal and for fish and I know of owners who have been bit, had a reaction and ended up in hospital with pretty serious issues that lasted weeks. I probably would have been more scared then if I had known that .
They are also escape artist so if not running a sump there will be no easy way to seal your lid that won't effect the parameters of the tank IMO. pH will crash being sealed up or eel will escape through that little hole everyones fish gets out .. I taped my versa glass lid on and blocked the tops of my mega overflows when I saw him swim in and right back out over the top[1/2 gap from lid] effortlessly as a youth !
Cool fish that I thought I had too have but really should not have IMO..From a cute pencil to a beast I was scared of .

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Okay. Maybe in the FUTURE I'll dedicate a tank for a Snowflake Eel, but for now I will stick with other fish.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of starting a 55 gallon saltwater tank to move my green chromis and occelaris clownfish to (they're in a 10 gallon). I'm also going to move some zoanthids to that tank. I'm already making a stocking list. One of the fish I'm thinking of is a butterflyfish. However, I don't know which ones can go in a 55 gallon or if I should keep them with zoanthids.

Is there any species of butterfly that can live in a 55 gallon and not eat my zoas?

How about Golden Dwarfs? I might NOT get one as they are pricey, but they look too small to harm my clown and chromis. What do you think?

Jesterrace

I have an Occelaris Clown and a Blue/Green Chromis in my 10 gallon nano reef. I'm planning on upgrading to a 55 gallon. When they get bigger, I'm also planning on maybe getting a Snowflake Moray to go with them. I like Snowflake Morays because they're very cute and remind me of snakes (which are illegal in Hawaii, where I live) I wan't one with my current fish! HOWEVER, I'm a bit skeptical about getting one. Some sources say that you should go for it, but others say that either the chromis or even the clownfish will become a midnight snack.

Should I keep a Clown and a Chromis with an Eel?

I am of the opinion that predators should be kept with predators. I would personally never keep one with standard smaller reef fish.

Definitely not.

Butterflyfish are as follows in terms of being reef safe:

1) Pyramid Butterflyfish. Considered the most reef safe of the Butterflyfish, will not nip corals provided it's well fed, but gets 7 inches and requires a MINIMUM of 125 gallons
2) Copperband Butterflyfish. Generally Reef Safe if well fed, but can be very difficult to keep long term and gets 8 inches in size and needs a MINIMUM of 125 gallons
3) Longnose Yellow Butterflyfish. Generally Reef Safe if well fed, but gets 9 inches long and needs a MINIMUM of 125 gallons

From there the Reef Safe factor with Butterflyfish drops off exponentially and honestly there is only one Butterflyfish that will work long term in a 55 gallon tank and it is a real gamble for being reef safe and pricey and limited availability to boot:

Honestly you are better off with a Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel or Cherubfish with your 4 foot long 55 gallon tank. They will be less of a gamble with corals than that butterflyfish and significantly cheaper. I have a Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon and he is pretty well behaved. It won't guarantee they won't nip at Corals but it can definitely improve the odds if you hold off adding one until it's more established with algae growing around the tank and you give it a small piece of seaweed/norI daily.

Here is a review that I did on my Coral Beauty:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
CHAMELEON_BREEZE
55 Gallon Tank Is This Stock Ok
Replies
Views
nikm128