55 gallon semi aggressive cleaner suggestions

1. Fenix Initiate Member

My 55 gallon tank is still cycling but im considering putting in 1 red tail shark, 6 marbled headstanders, and a shoal of 8-12 tiger barbs, im aware its going to be a fairly aggressive tank and am wondering what the best option for a "cleaner" fish would be out of 1 pleco(not a common pleco or massive full grown species) or a small shcool of cory cats (3-5)or a small school of oto cats (6-8) or if theres another option that I have not considered, id love to hear everyones opinions and advice

Currently I have a 10 gallon with 2 african dwarf frogs, 6 neon tetras, and 4 snails

As well I have a 15 gallon with 3 angelfish and 3 cory cats

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I wouldn't keep corys or Oto's with tiger barbs or any aggressive fish they'd be sitting targets to be picked on, I've seen tigers rip all the fins off corys & tbh I wouldn't trust them to leave small plecs alone either.
    Nerite snails are great algae eaters although they do poop a lot.
    Forgot to say welcome to Fishlore :)

3. Fenix Initiate Member

Would going with a larger species pleco like a bristlenose possibly work out or would red tail just harrass the pleco for the bottom and still have the tiger barbs pickin on him too

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum :)
    IMHO Tiger Barbs should be a species only fish. On another note they are also very hard to find healthy ones and are very sensitive fish unfortunately (here in VA at least.) So if you do get some Tiger Barbs then plan on only running them for a while at least, they get quite aggressive when ill or the water parameters are off.

As for the Cory catfish they will probably be eliminated by the Tiger Barbs. You really don't actually need cleaner fish in a tank, as long as you are doing water changes and you nitrogen cycle is established then there is no need.

As for the red tail, I see quite a few people around the web putting them in with Tiger barbs. But kinda as a broken record they might not mix well with barbs. While redtails look fast and so do tigers i'm pretty sure the barbs are faster but either way...someone is getting bit.

Keep in mind that if you are mixing semi aggressive species that you should have plenty of meds available for injuries. Also make sure a quarantine tank is around if one of your buddies get something nipped off in a scuffle and needs healing time.