55 Gallon Rescape

Thibault Drake

Hi! I have been considering doing this for a while now, but I think I’m finally going to just go for it. I set up a 55 gallon back in late March of this year. I know you must be thinking “What the heck is this kid thinking?” But I have my reasons for rescaping. This is my first proper tank with tropical fish. I used to have a minnow (all others died) but I had to get rid of him because I just couldn’t deal with a wild fish and he seemed very sad. I set up this tank without much planning aquascape wise, and I hadn’t discovered how nice it was to buy supplies online. I have also been having horrible algae issues and I just want a fresh start to take care of it.
Right now, the tank is planted with valisneria, pogostemon stellatus octopus, cryptocorne wendtii & spiralis, dwarf sag, Monte Carlo, Christmas moss, amazon swords, and java fern. The stocking is 4 Amano shrimp (will be getting more), 3 or more assassin snails (2 of them were bred with only one, i have no idea how that happened lol), 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 neon tetras (will be getting more), 5 cardinal tetras (gonna get 1 more soon), 4 black neon tetras which I’m going to be moving to an amazon themed black water aquarium, and 4 serpae tetras (I’ll also be getting 2 or 3 more of these). Here is what it looks like now (the algae is horrible):
83108F6C-0C5C-4C3D-A2A8-5FFA3C3E9DE5.jpeg

Now for the rescape. I am planning on selling, giving away, or throwing away all of the pogostemon, Val, Monte Carlo, and amazing swords. For the rescape I’m going to take out the hardscape and plants and pushing the substrate to both sides. Then I’m going to put stones around the two piles and putting white aquarium sand in the front section. I ordered some manzanita wood online which should arrive this week. Im going to use whatever stone is at my lfs, it’ll probably be okho or seiryu stone. I ordered some java fern windelov and rotala rotofundia. The other plants I’m going to buy are anubias nana, java moss, and some more crypts. Here is the wood I ordered. Im going to cut it into a few more pieces and silicone it to pieces of stone:

A301861F-C07D-4375-9517-10F504C8DD58.jpeg
Here is my concept for the tank (sorry its messy):
7AABAF04-CB23-4E9E-96DA-389A6C6CBDA3.jpeg
Stay tuned for more! Thanks for reading!
-Thibault

A201

Try shopping your local rockyard or landscape company. You'll find a huge selection of rocks at incredibly cheap prices.
Natural decor Inventory at pet stores is usually limited & extremely expensive.

Rockcat3001

Sounds interesting -- please post a pic when you finish the re-scape -

Thibault Drake

Try shopping your local rockyard or landscape company. You'll find a huge selection of rocks at incredibly cheap prices.
Natural decor Inventory at pet stores is usually limited & extremely expensive.
My LFS has really cheap prices for hardscape and 10% off in Wednesdays. I think it’ll be ok but I’ll look for rockyards.

Thibault Drake

Wow it’s been along time haha. I just finished the scape and added fish today! The plants I used are: weeping moss, Christmas moss, Rotala Rotofundia, h’ra, and bonsai, crypt wendtii, java fern windelov, a bunch of buce variants, dwarf sag, and two tiny cutting of s repens i got! The hardscape is mountain stone (I think my lfs just calms it that and it’s actually seiryu), and manzanita wood. I used pacific quartz sand, fluval stratum, and fluorite for the substrate. The tank has been setup for three days and I added the fish today because I’m using the old filter media! Here is the finished scape, I’m so proud of it haha. Please tell me any suggestions you have!
image.jpg

coleh11

Wow it’s been along time haha. I just finished the scape and added fish today! The plants I used are: weeping moss, Christmas moss, Rotala Rotofundia, h’ra, and bonsai, crypt wendtii, java fern windelov, a bunch of buce variants, dwarf sag, and two tiny cutting of s repens i got! The hardscape is mountain stone (I think my lfs just calms it that and it’s actually seiryu), and manzanita wood. I used pacific quartz sand, fluval stratum, and fluorite for the substrate. The tank has been setup for three days and I added the fish today because I’m using the old filter media! Here is the finished scape, I’m so proud of it haha. Please tell me any suggestions you have!
image.jpg
It looks really good, i know its been a few months but im wondering if you could post a photo of it now. Im planning out my 55 gallon right now!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PlatyPete
Replies
Views
Mindy3
Replies
Views
mikki080
Replies
Views