55 Gallon Redo

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by KingD, Jul 27, 2015.

1. KingD

KingD Fishlore VIP Member

So I want to redo my 55 gallon and covert it to a black sand substrate with live plants instead of gravel and fake plants. Now my plan is, I would set up my current stock in a spare 36 gallon bowfront once I start my "renovations" on the 55. I would just leave the 36 gallon bare bottom and fill it with the water and decorations from my current tank. I would also put the heater, filter, and just about everything else from the 55 gallon onto the 36 gallon hoping that it wold be enough BB to keep my stock alive. I also wanted to replace the filter media in my current filter on my 55 due to snails getting in there. (Snails are just one of the many reasons I want to redo the tank) If Im missing anything please let me know so I can do it all correct without causing any deaths.

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Your filter media is where most of the BB is. Be sure to put the old media over in the 36 with the fish. And I would try to clean it rather than replace it to keep that BB.

If you do end up replacing the media once you put things back in the 55 make sure to add Stability as you may have a mini cycle. All new substrate and media at the same time sounds like a bad idea IMO.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

To help collect snails from the filter and the tank, drop in some veggie slices (cucumber, zucchini) and pick up the slices after a lot of snails have collected on it.

4. OP
    OP
    KingD

That's what I was planning on doing, taking the filter I have on my 55 gallon with the carbon cartridge and everything and leave it running on the 36 gallon along with the water from the 55.

I was also planning on taking a second filter (aqueon quietflow 30) and setting that up in the 36 gallon along with the marinland 350B from the 55 gallon so it can collect BB without collecting snails. Then once I finish setting up the 55 gallon, I can just place the cartridge from the snail free aqueon filter and place it in the marineland filter. Would this work?

Also, I have done the cucumber trick and I've gotten hundreds upon hundreds out of the tank but I still have hundreds more that I just can't get out. I also want to do a substrate change because I plan on getting some albino corys and I know that gravel can hurt their bellies. The gravel I have is also an eyesore in my opinion.

5. KarenLM

The water does not contain BB. You don't need to put the old water in the new tank.

6. TexasDomer

Sounds like you have it covered! Sand is great! I have sand, and my cories love it. Also much easier to clean than gravel!

7. OP
    OP
    KingD

I want to put the water from the 55 into the 36 so I don't have to cycle it and I can just put the fish right into the 36g

8. KarenLM

The water is not the part that is "cycled". The filter is what you have to move over with the fish.

9. TexasDomer

Agree with Karen. It's the media and gravel that contains the BB.

However, moving old water to your new tank can be beneficial - you know that water is safe and set to the pH and the temp your fish are used to.

10. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

Running a new filter on the holding tank shouldn't hurt but how can you keep it snail free? Maybe putting stockings over the intake but I'm sure snails will find a way to travel from your current filter to your new one.

I'd stick with the zucchini. You may get hundreds but eventually if you do it often enough you'll get ahead of the problem.

Clown loaches? Haha

11. TexasDomer

Clown loaches get too big for a 55 gal. You could try a few assassin snails too, or stick with the veggie trick!

12. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

I didn't even pay attention to the tank size, whoops. I love assassin snails, but they multiply too.

You could harvest them with veggies and then sell them off to people who feed them to their puffers or something. ;)

13. KarenLM

When I was trying to get rid of my snails that came in on the plants, I would check just above the water line in the morning, squish them and drop them in the tank - my fish went crazy for them and ate every one I dropped.

14. OP
    OP
    KingD

I would try that but they all hide under the gravel during the day so I have nothing to crush and feed the fish.

15. KarenLM

I would check for them really early in the morning way before the lights come on.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  16. OP
    OP
    KingD

I'll try that and see how it goes, thanks for the help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice