- Reaction score
- 1 year
Welcome to my 55 gallon build!
This is actually a reboot of my 40 gallon long that I setup several years ago.
My wife and I recently moved from our old apartment into a house, and all of my aquariums were completely broken down. I decided now was the time to make some minor upgrades. And so I am swapping out my 40 Long for a 55 and doubling my filtration from a single Fluval 206 to a pair of 206's.
Originally, my plan was to drill the back of the new 55 gallon tank for a 1 inch bulkhead with a strainer and a 3/4 inch bulkhead with a lock-line attachment. I picked up a Aqueon 55 gallon from my LFS, painted the back, and proceeded to drill the tank. (This was ill thought out)
It turns out that 55 gallon tanks are all made with tempered glass, and for some reason I was thinking only the bottom glass was tempered. Foolish me.
So I had my LFS order a Deep Blue 55 Gallon Non-Tempered tank.
After waiting a week for this one to come in I was quite disappointed to learn the hard way that the Non-Tempered tank, was constructed with tempered glass. So I added another corpse to my graveyard.
So much for drilling my new tank, which is a shame because it would have been an elegant solution. Fortunately, I was able to get a free replacement for the Non-Tempered tank with tempered glass from my LFS. Hopefully, the third tank will be the last.
For the last month I have had driftwood soaking my my old 40 long, and have had my filters running on this tank while I added occasional fish food to start cycling the filters. And the driftwood is finally waterlogged.
Which brings us up to last night. I have finished the plumbing the stand which is complicated because this is not the only aquarium on my custom-built stand.
The smaller tank is a 12 gallon long Nano-Reef, or at least it will be again. It is plumbed into a 20 gallon long sump under the tank.
Finally I was able to add my substrate and hardscape to the 55. I don't know that I am 100% satisfied with it. There is something about the pile of rocks on the right that still bother me.
I forgot to take pictures of the tank after adding water, but I accidentally blew some substrate around during the process. Oh well it needed to be redistributed a little anyway.
I have ordered quite a few plants: they should be shipped sometime next week. I am so excited to finally be seeing some progress on this build!
Let me know what you guys think of my current hardscape.