55 Gallon Re-stocking 2.0

1. BlazeitChris

BlazeitChris New Member Member

Hey everyone. So long story short the rest of my rainbowfish have recently passed from a unidentifiable disease which has not affected the other fish in my tank to my knowledge. The current stock at the moment is: 2 juv. clown loaches, 1 bn pleco, 1 synodontis, 1 Siamese algae eater (NOT Chinese), and 1 juv. blood parrot.
    I'd like some advice on my new stock additions:
    1) 4-5 Peacock cichlids- I know these are less aggressive than mbunas but can get kinda big after awhile

2) X number of mbuna cichlids- I am aware these are considered aggressive fish, my only concern would be for the blood parrot and SAE

3) A fairly large school of tiger barbs- Semi-aggressive, I have limited experience with barbs

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Clown loaches will get too big for this size tank.

Peacock cichlids and mbunas are not compatible with blood parrots.

What type of synodontis is it?

3. OP
    OP
    BlazeitChris

I am aware of how large clown loaches can grow, I plan to sell them to a local fish store once they become too big for my tank. Why aren't either compatible? I've seen them kept together before with no major problems? I believe it is a featherfin squeaker (Synodontis eupterus).

4. Anders247

Those types of Africans are very aggressive and don't usually do well with American cichlids.
    How about Victorian cichlids instead, like Haplochromis sauvagei or H. phytophagus?

5. OP
    OP
    BlazeitChris

From what I've read about haps is that they get slightly larger than peacocks and are equally as aggressive; granted I've never kept either so my opinion is kinda irrelevant. :)

6. Anders247

I believe you are reading about Malawi haps like the malawi eye eater, those are not the same as Victorians which are usually smaller.

7. OP
    OP
    BlazeitChris

I did some reading about Victorians and they do sound quite interesting. Can you give me some good/reliable sources so I can look at prices?
    -Thanks

8. Anders247

Do you mean sources of good info on them or sources to buy them from? If it is the latter, I can't really help you. I got mine at Petco.

9. OP
    OP
    BlazeitChris

I was hoping for sources to buy from unfortunately. My local petsmart has very poor options to choose from and my local aquarium store is quite expensive.