55 Gallon Planted Community: WIP: New Setup and Bolivian Ram

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Work In Progress: 55 Gallon Planted Community

Hi,

55 gallon is finally set up. It's a work in progress. I will be adding new plants, new fish and more wood slowly.

No new fish yet, just the tank itself is new, fish are older and upgrading. I spent the day breaking down other tanks and allot went in the 55.

By the end I was running out of time so randomly placed all the plants and wood from my other tanks in. I'm planning on going thru and doing things more carefully as my work schedule permits - getting java attached and what not.

New wood:
SAM_1414.png

This short video has photos and video clips. It just has music so feel free to mute it.

[video]https://youtu.be/6kIP0L1JXGc[/video]

Photo of tank 1/16/16:

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you tie the Java Fern together to get them to look bunched up like that? I have a bunch tied together and kind of wedged behind some rocks, but they keep leaning forward.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, I literally just threw them in and pushed them down there. They're just hovering. Ha ha

Allot of them were growing together intertwined on wood in my other aquariums. However, they were more attached to each other than the wood so with all the moving around they were easily separated from the wood but some still stuck together.

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh nice, everything became natural in a way. I'm trying to get mine to do that eventually. I rescaped my entire tank so I ended up having to pull them apart because there was a few pieces of gravel stuck in between the roots.

Great WIP tank btw. Can't wait to see it fully grown out.

FLGirl said:
No, I literally just threw them in and pushed them down there. They're just hovering. Ha ha

Allot of them were growing together intertwined on wood in my other aquariums. However, they were more attached to each other than the wood so with all the moving around they were easily separated from the wood but some still stuck together.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I have a long way to go but it's going to be fun!

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like your Mopani! I saw a very similar piece at Petco today (I know! They're finally stocking real wood!), but alas, I couldn't purchase it. I must also comliment you on that huge Amazon Sword, it looks really good

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I was ordering somethings from Dr.F&S and decided to take a chance with it...cool to know petco has it too. I'll have to check my local store. The sword was given to me when it was a "baby" from a family members tank and I put it in a ten gallon that it outgrew. Hopefully it likes this new tank!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a few update pictures...

I do have some algae so excuse that if it bothers you. I personally kind of like the look and I knew I was going to be adding a Bristlenose pleco so I didn't mind enjoying my light on longer and letting it grow a bit. I just left it on the back. Iv shortened the time I have my light on now though. I also took off the background and reapplied it so it is not directly attached to the glass anymore, this makes it much darker/dimmer. I like it.

This is before I added new wood, some new plants randomly placed around. All my current and new plants were showing new growth.

This is after I added new wood, attached java fern, java moss, trimmed and re arranged plants etc.

I enjoy the mix of different woods.

The mopani creates allot of fun hiding spots and hang outs.

Amano Shrimp eating on mopani.

Cory Kitty

My Bolivian ram. He was not too happy about how long I was working. He (or she I guess I never did figure out for sure ha ha) is doing well though... LOVING the new layout.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm loving it too lol . What light are you using & what plants are in there?

chaaan30

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really digging your tank! Did you have a diatom outbreak? Mines been worse since I changed to aqua soil.

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All these pretty tanks. I'm going to have to invest in something beyond my phone soon. My phone takes awful pictures.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone!

I have one 48" Finnex FugeRay Planted+. Let me see if I can remember all the plants...

Java Fern, Java Moss, Amazon Sword, Wisteria, anubia nana, a couple different stems that weren't named but I believe they are rotala and ludwigia, cryptocoryne undulata, temple hygrophila, azolla, duck weed; the newest ones are, jungle val, green/bronze crypts, chain sword, red roof floaters. I think that's it.

I haven't had any diatoms or brown algae. My substrate is a mix of black diamond blasting slag and light sand I had in other aquariums (play or pool from a family member). I added root tabs.

I have my light on a timer so I'm trying to balance the time I have it on now. When I first set it up there were times it was on for more hours then it was off in a 24 hour period, I have long work hours, so that algae was no surprise.

My camera is an older simple point and shoot digital but definitely better than my even more basic old phone camera. Some of those mobiles capture pretty good pictures though. I need to upgrade someday too.

paradunga

Reaction score
Nice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom