55 Gallon Planted Barb Tank Stocking

1. danielwestes Initiate Member

Hello!

My 55 gallon is nearing the end of its fishless cycle! I'm planning on doing a tiger barb species tank and I'm very excited! My LFS also has some black ruby barbs which I really liked and was wondering if I could put them with the tiger barbs? My current stocking looks like 7 albino tiger barbs, 7 tiger barbs, and 9 black ruby barbs.

Would this work out ok? My main concern is the well-being of the fish. :)

2. Molly105 Member Member

Sounds like a good idea, but be careful because barbs are semi aggressive, so you might see fin nips or rips, so just keep an eye out for the aggressive ones, but other than that, it sounds like it would work. Good luck;)!

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds good to me! You have to upload pictures when it's set up!

4. danielwestes Initiate Member

Thanks! I'll be sure to upload photos. The barbs were so interactive and showing off at the LFS, it is hard to pass up the opportunity to have a tank for them!

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would even do more black ruby barbs! Maybe 12-15 of each species since there's nothing else in the tank?

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would even do more black ruby barbs! Maybe 12-15 of each species since there's nothing else in the tank?

7. danielwestes Initiate Member

I think I will if they have that many at the LFS! Would the tiger barbs incorporate the different color in their own school? Such as 4 albino, 4 green, and 4 regular tigers?

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, they'll school together if they're the same species (so the different color varieties of the tiger barbs will school together, but they will not school with the black ruby barbs).