55 gallon options

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a lightly planted 55 with a Marineland Emperor 400 and an Aquaclear 50. (600 gph altogether)

I currently have
3 dojo loaches
6 danios (3 gold zebra & 3 purple passion)

My original plan was to have
9 danios
3 dojo loaches
3-5 rainbows (of some kind)
1 fancy goldfish

I'm starting to feel the urge for more dojos since I added two yesterday. Plus, I've had difficulty finding fairly small rainbows that will work at my temperature (70*F) and even the slightly larger ones I like (Australian, Eastern) I haven't been able to find around here.

So now that doubts have slipped in I'd like to ask for suggestions.

I want more color in my tank. Preferably with a small group of fish that get around 3-4" (if there's a rainbow that I missed, please suggest it). I don't want any livebearers. I'm seriously considering adding another dojo or two (preferably gold but I haven't found one anywhere). And I'm set on the goldfish.

And if I'm on the fast track to overstocking and making these fish miserable feel free to yell at me. I am a huge beginner and have no frame of reference for what can fit.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are no rainbows that can go in that cold of water AND get to 3-4 inches. There are a couple of blue-eyes that will work, but they will only get to 1- 1 1/2 inches. I don't think you are overstocked, but I'm not that great on stocking.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will google "purple passion danios" in a moment (curious, not come across them), but Zebra Danios can be quite happy at temperatures upto 24C. Is it the Dojos that need 20C?

If so, I would seriously recommend researching riverine fish i.e 95%+ of my stock and future plans over the next month or so! A school of 5 or 6 Redline Torpedo (Denisons) Barb will add some stunning colour and grace to your tank, as they are happy in 16-25C water.

Update: Purple Passion is also known as the Rosy Danio, Danio roseus, happy at 24-28C according to tropicalfishfinder.
Dojos might be happy upto 25C.

So if 24C is fine, you can add the smaller Rainbows (Threadfin; Forktail Blue-Eye; Neon Dwarf; Celebes) for a wide range of colours. Rainbows need to be in groups of 5+, with twice as many females than males in the group, so you really want 6 or 9 in total of one species.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Um, denison barbs are like $30 each over here.

I have a fancy goldfish, dojos and rainbows in my 90, which is in the mid to high 70's. Most fish will be perfectly fine in that temperature range, including the ones in question. There aren't many fish that have strict temperature requirements.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Rainbows can not go in that cold water and can not be put with goldfish. Goldfish are usually kept by themselves because of all their special needs like temperature, size and the inability to compete for food.

The goldfish might end up eating the danios, so I dont think you shoud add more danios.

More dojos would be fine and as far as other fish I think you would be safest with more goldfish, although rosy red minnows would work, if you like them.

uh oh Jaysee and I just posted two posts completely contradicting each other prepare for some :;b lol
though I do agree denison barbs are way too expensive here ;D

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got lucky with Denisons at my LFS of choice... They were £13.40 a pair after my 10% discount, so I got 6 little guys that are ~4.5cm! Nowhere else near me can come close to this price, in fact some charge more per individual, what's more this LFS is an absolute gem for great informative staff and brilliant condition stock (often the more unusual species, hence all fish in my sig except the Pearl Danios and the Indian red Tail Squirrel Loaches come/came from there).

The great price was due to them being commercially bred rather than wilder caught, which I thought was terrific, as I was recently saddened to hear that wild Denisons are beginning to suffer the same fate as Celestial Pearl Danios... They are close to extinction in their native Indian waters

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
I think 3 potential 10" fish (dojos) are PLENTY for a 55.
I did not relize they got that big, I retract my statement about adding more dojos, but not the other stuff (no offence Jaysee)

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jaysee said:
I think 3 potential 10" fish (dojos) are PLENTY for a 55.
Haha. Like I said I don't know anything. So thank you for that Jaysee. I do love my trio so I'm happy with just them.

I think I might give in and get a heater for the tank to raise the temp a little bit to bring up my range of available fish. (Right now it's in an air conditioned room so it's kept constant despite the summer heat) I just wish that stores around here carried rainbows other than threadfins. While I do like them I'm looking for more variety.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NMfishman said:
Rainbows can not go in that cold water and can not be put with goldfish. Goldfish are usually kept by themselves because of all their special needs like temperature, size and the inability to compete for food.

The goldfish might end up eating the danios, so I dont think you shoud add more danios.

More dojos would be fine and as far as other fish I think you would be safest with more goldfish, although rosy red minnows would work, if you like them.

uh oh Jaysee and I just posted two posts completely contradicting each other prepare for some :;b lol
though I do agree denison barbs are way too expensive here ;D
Did you mean rainbows can't go in 70 degree water or that they can't go in 75-78 degree water? And why exactly can't they go with a goldfish?

A fancy goldfish eating a danio?? I mean, nothing is impossible....but I certainly wouldn't expect it to ever happen.

RayRay said:
Haha. Like I said I don't know anything. So thank you for that Jaysee. I do love my trio so I'm happy with just them.

I think I might give in and get a heater for the tank to raise the temp a little bit to bring up my range of available fish. (Right now it's in an air conditioned room so it's kept constant despite the summer heat) I just wish that stores around here carried rainbows other than threadfins. While I do like them I'm looking for more variety.
That's what I would do. 75 allows for a wide range of options.

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is everyone choosing to ignore that RayRay's current fish do not have to be kept at 20C and would actually be fine at 24C, which would open up the future stocking considerably... and include several Rainbow species?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
N0body Of The Goat said:
Is everyone choosing to ignore that RayRay's current fish do not have to be kept at 20C and would actually be fine at 24C, which would open up the future stocking considerably... and include several Rainbow species?
He also said he is set on having a goldfish, which does need the 20C. Maybe you should read the whole post

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
That's what I would do. 75 allows for a wide range of options.
N0body Of The Goat said:
Monmouth said:
He also said he is set on having a goldfish, which does need the 20C. Maybe you should read the whole post
The goldfish will be perfectly fine at 24C.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay guys, no fighting lol

So yes, I will be buying a heater to bring my temp up to 75F/24C and then making a list of rainbowfish I like to carry with me to stores. So I'm back to my original plan now. Whoops.

NMfishman said:
A couple people did warn me about the goldfish potentially eating the danios, but with how slow fancy goldfish swim and how fast danios swim... I'm not really concerned over it. My concerns would be making sure the goldy gets enough food, but I can manage that no prob, and the danios potentially nipping at the goldfish, but right now they only pick on eachother and leave the loaches alone so I'm almost positive they'll be good.

Monmouth said:
I've heard paradise fish do well in cold water
I looked them up and, while quite pretty, I really don't want to put a semi-aggressive fish in my tank. The danios are as aggressive as I want to get and they only pick on eachother.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can get away with my goldfish with the rainbows and everything else because she's big enough that she can swallow foods that the others can't, so while it may take her extra time to find the food, she sucks it up and that's all there is to it.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi Rayray,

Your goldfish will have problems with getting foood since you have 6 zebras. Their pigs and extremely fast! When I had my zebras in with the buenos aires tetras it was a massive feeding frenzy at the top of the tank. If I left the lid open to watch, water would go everywhere from the food assault.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chunkdaddy said:
Hi Rayray,

Your goldfish will have problems with getting foood since you have 6 zebras. Their pigs and extremely fast! When I had my zebras in with the buenos aires tetras it was a massive feeding frenzy at the top of the tank. If I left the lid open to watch, water would go everywhere from the food assault.
If the goldfish is small, then yes that is a concern. If it's big enough to eat foods too big for the danios, there is nothing to worry about.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom