55 Gallon Male Betta Community

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Current full tank shot will also be at the bottom of this first post.

Okay so I’m in the mist of acclimating my male dragon scale double half moon palkat betta named aquaman to be peaceful inhabitant in a community tank.

Full tank shot from July (got a good needed trim in August)
1bd593f2aee436ae5fa70112bbd70019.jpg

Only shot I can get with his fins out.
18f7861e8344db12a1318454c3fedd22.jpg

Aquaman looking out over his new home.
8a7d6dfc1237a8660780005bb97577d7.jpg

He started in this tank as a holding tank till a 6.5 gallon was up and running but he has been enjoying the room so much lately I would feel bad if I put him in a smaller tank. So he gets to stay as long as he plays nice.

He’s been in here for 3 months by himself and now it’s time to start adding other fish. I know he probably should be the last fish added but that wasn’t possible lol. So I decided to test his temperament with 2 otos just in case he was the average mean betta.

He showed some interest the moment the otos where added but that is aquamans personality. He is very inquisitive and will inspect everything in the tank (even air bubbles from my filters lol). Over that week he would occasionally chase the otos around but never got mean more just like he had something NEW to play with. No scars or torn fins after the first week so I decided to go get the rest of my oto school with 4 more and also 2 upside down catfish that my SO wanted.

Everyone getting drip acclimated.
fe8380004ad1fd554c30bbefc4d24eda.jpg

I distracted aquaman with food when I went to add these guys in because I wasn’t too sure still. He didn’t even take notice of anyone until one of the upside down catfish went exploring around the tank. Aquaman just sort of followed the cat around (I’m sure wondering what it the heck it was lol) no aggression I could tell at all.

Nice trim on the water wisteria
13c4ca218db0b5a634f8c51de76938f8.jpg

2 of the 6 otos
d1a83a37946db44a0b562110580457ed.jpg

upside down cats grazing
cdb3081aea5e8c7e099cd1514c9ddac3.jpg

I also added a nice java fern mat into the tank this week. I was shocked to find some amphipods after adding the java fern but aquaman seemed to really love chasing them down to munch on.

Hard to tell put this is one of the amphipods.
2c6a1281297cd35e43701dffad59117a.jpg

On day one after adding the upside down catfish and rest of the otos right before lights out aquaman went to go lay on his bed (my magnet) and bam one oto on top and an upside down cat on the bottom. Leaving no room for aquaman. He just sat there looking at them and slowly moving towards them but neither of them move lol.

Aquaman trying to figure out where to sleep now.
bc45706948d33068b79a6998313c418e.jpg

Current full tank shot
c77b20fcc376808dc72e60220e26e3b0.jpg

Last edited:

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It is only day 9 of adding fish with aquaman but everything so far seems to be going good.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My gf found a dead oto today while I was at work. He wasn’t beat up just a small stomach so I believe he was starved in transit.

Everyone else is looking good and my crypts are almost completely cleared of the green spot algae they had. Otos seem to love that stuff!

The betta and upside down catfish go at it every once in awhile but it isn’t one sided. Betta will chase and harass the catfish and they will mostly juke him out and he gets confused lol. Also the cats will follow and chase the betta as well though.

During the algae pellet feed tonight betta got impatient and went for the pellet while both cats were eating and they didn’t like that. There was a lot of rolling around and the betta backed away. He then waited in line for the catfish to leave and then he ate lol.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Going on two weeks with 2 otos and a week with 5 otos and 2 upside down catfish and aquaman is still playing nice!

Java fern mat started to look horrible so I took it out and saved the few good stems and replanted them. Also I tried to get rid of some algae on my dwarf sag carpet and it went and melted a good portion that I sprayed with excel hopefully it will grow back or I’ll just have to replant the middle section. The outer edges are still throwing out runners and new leaves.

Middle section of carpet that is melting due to being doses with excel to rid some algae.
ade8184a90ffa699cded1fb562d32d65.jpg

Unknown plant growing in my dwarf sag carpet. I believe it is more water wisteria.
3d41d9925ce875b608ad72826649f6ed.jpg

Didn’t know you can’t editing the first post after too long so here’s a full tank shot
92d8dca9906813c8035eadc5328cb2f7.jpg

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Going on two weeks with 2 otos and a week with 5 otos and 2 upside down catfish and aquaman is still playing nice!

Java fern mat started to look horrible so I took it out and saved the few good stems and replanted them. Also I tried to get rid of some algae on my dwarf sag carpet and it went and melted a good portion that I sprayed with excel 51] hopefully it will grow back or I’ll just have to replant the middle section. The outer edges are still throwing out runners and new leaves.

Middle section of carpet that is melting due to being doses with excel to rid some algae.
View attachment 621751

Unknown plant growing in my dwarf sag carpet. I believe it is more water wisteria.
View attachment 621752

Didn’t know you can’t editing the first post after too long so here’s a full tank shot
View attachment 621753
Looking good!

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read the title and though it was a community of many males. I have done that in a 60 gal but there is a trick (same brood). Without the trick it is tears and dead fish.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I read the title and though it was a community of many males. I have done that in a 60 gal but there is a trick (same brood). Without the trick it is tears and dead fish.
That would be cool looking but I would be on edge all the time lol. Do you have any pictures of your old tank?

Looking good!
Thanks!

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That would be cool looking but I would be on edge all the time lol. Do you have any pictures of your old tank?
I'm afraid I do not.
It also doesn't look as good as you'd think. The problem is the hormones keep all the male fins from developing fully some do but others do not. If I loaded charcoal in my HOBs tit might have looked better.
When loading lots of males in the same tank you do have to pull the jerks. Some just have the hate in them.
A plague went through and wiped out that breeding project (male fins on female betas so large betta tanks can happen without the body count). 1 survived and was a pingpong ball of slime for a month. We never bred him as normally he would be a cull.
We are considering restarting the project after seeing what people have been able to do with female guppies.

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Had a mini conga line going on in my tank :)

Otos lined up on driftwood
80a7321ced4b127176b1ea499fcf51a8.jpg

I watched them for a good couple minutes and they would do their little shake/eating motion and it was funny.

Jakkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
this is a wholesome post and I love it! Your tank looks so good and im very proud of aquaman for playing nice

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So came home tonight and tank is looking a little cloudy :(

Decided to look at everyone and make sure they are doing fine. Everyone was looking good but I noticed two of my otos are SUPER FAT! They were both just sitting there but I did notice one did start to munch on some algae. I was a little worried but I searched and it looks like they might be pregnant instead which would be cool.

e6596fd94b1b1e79d0fc48ad72d74609.jpg

deaa927007d9cde5322f9a995e88739c.jpg

5ac1679f7aee08a9119c0398d4c08fd0.jpg

Both in same shot.
6e016a1239be76e96da684d98da00749.jpg

Checked parameters and everything is looking fine.

0 ammo
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
3 dKh KH
7.2 pH
79 F temp

Last pic is blurry cause I zoomed in

Last edited:

lyfeoffishin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I believe I am feeding too much and tank is once again cloudy :( parameters are still good though nothing to worry about.

Added 6 cherry barbs (3 males and 3 females) yesterday and aquaman hasn’t even looked twice at them. Will get a few more cherry barbs next coming weeks and then try out a German blue ram pair.

They are still shy and mostly hide in my water wisteria. Male is dark red while the female is paler.
f97e677d825ebff49e5fb9856849d0cb.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom