55 gallon lighting.

1. H20 Initiate Member

I have a question about the lighting of my tetra 55g tank. I'm not sure what type of lightning to get. I'm looking for a good light for plants and to light up my tank during the day. I'm mostly growing amazon swords, java fern, and water sprite. I have a co2 system but it doesn't give off a lot of co2. Also, I don't want to spend a 100 bucks for lighting. So DIY will be my best option. This is the best lighting I found so far: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23748 will this be good enough?

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

For the plants you listed, the T5 bulb you linked to will be perfectly fine. You don't really need a co2 system for this setup though. CO2 is really only useful when the plants receive ample light and require additional carbon for growth. Regular water changes, coupled with the occasional dosing of Excel, would probably suffice. Do you have a fertilized substrate or are you going to use root tabs?

3. H20 Initiate Member

Phishphin, I'm going to buy some fertilizer from aquariumfertlizer.com and flourish tabs. Also,I found some better t5ho. Most people are using a giesemann midday combined with aquaflora for 48 inch long 18 inch deep 55g. Are they using a 24 inch aquaflora and 24 inch midday ? Or are they using two 48 inch midday and aquaflora. Also, to save some money, can I just use an aquaflora for the whole tank since I just want medium light?

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I really couldn't say with certainty... I've been using LEDs graded for plant growth.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. thatreefguy22 Member Member

I'm in the same spot as you...I am just now filling my new hardscaped 55gal...
    And I have a 30" aquatic life t5ho dual...could I just get the bulbs that are meant for a freshwater setup??

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member