55 Gallon Ich issue help! No idea what to do

Colbyxxs

Hey guys,

so I’ve had my 55 gallon back up and running for a few months now. I needed to set it back up to house my more peaceful cichlids and a few babies I have. But everything has always been great, it’s been cycled from the start, and never had any issues. I’m pretty experienced with fish keeping, & learn more more all the time. But out of nowhere my guys got Ich… & I have no idea why. I started feeding my baby Arowana crickets again. That’s the only thing I can think of that’s been different compared to what their routine is.
I’ve been treating it with salt, 82 degrees. & fritz Ich relief

SouthAmericanCichlids

Water parameters? What all do you have in the tank? Is there a lot of aggression in the tank, stress from that could just keep building up and compromising their immune system slowly.

Colbyxxs

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate about 20-30

I have 2 Blood parrots, a baby Arowana as a grow out until he can go into my big big tank unharmed, an angel, a little red hump, and two pictus catfish.

GlennO

What exactly do you need help with? You seem to be doing the right thing although I'm not familiar with that product and it's not on their website. They have a product called 'FixIck' but I'm a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of so called 'gentle' Ich treatments that do not contain formaldehyde or malachite green which are proven against Ich.

I don't personally use salt when treating Ich. It requires high concentrations to be effective.

Colbyxxs

I was just curious as to what could be the cause, I’ve never had this bad of an outbreak before, I’ve Barely have had any. The only time I’ll ever really have a fish with it is if I buy one with it to help heal. Maybe I can try taking a few out and separating a few.
Usually salt and high temp have always worked. Fritzick is what I have, but I’m also kinda weary about it.

GlennO

The only time I've experienced Ich is if it's been introduced by an infected fish. Are you sure it's Ich? Any pics? High temp can work (if you're not in a hot climate like Australia where Ich is often heat resistant). If you'd prefer to treat with temperature rather than meds the temp needs to be 86F+. The heat doesn't kill the Ich directly but can stop it reproducing at 86F which breaks the life cycle so it dies out. At your current temp of 82F all you're doing is speeding up the time period of the Ich life cycle (which is beneficial if you're treating with meds because it shortens the treatment period). I'm just not sure of the effectiveness of that brand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamieLu
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Elkwatcher
Replies
Views