55 gallon help

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning on a 55 gallon between 70 and 75 degrees.

So far I have 1 dojo loach and 3 gold zebra danios.

I plan on adding 1 or 2 more dojos and a mix of other danios to bring the school up to 7-9, probably two groups of 2 or 3. What ones could I add so they'd still school? I really like the longfin danios but I'm worried that their fins would get nipped. I'm not a big fan of the glofish.

I'm wanting another group of smallish schooling fish and a larger middle range fish if possible. I was considering a fancy goldfish but was warned that it might eat the smaller fish.

My boyfriend wants catfish, but I'm worried that they'd fight for floor space with the dojos and I'm not sure if there are any small catfish that can handle cooler waters. He's especially attatched to pictus cats, but I'm almost positive that we can't have them. (I may have to buy him his own tank, haha)

I'm not sure of how much I can fit into this thing comfortably, so a lot of help would be appreciated.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have both zebra and blue long-finned danios, 3 of each. They all attack each other constantly and those beautiful long fins are usually pretty ragged....

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww that's such a shame. Thank you for letting me know.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've got 2 longfin gold zebra danios, 6 zebra danios & 8 buenos aires tetras. The only fin nipping in my tank is done by the biggest of the lf gold zebra. She bullies all the other zebras. My ba's don't bother the zebra's are actually better schoolers than the zebras.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think WCMM are a good choice for your schooling fish. There are also some rainbows that might work.

I think a fancy goldfish would be the perfect centerpiece fish.

If you want catfish, there are some cory species that can do well in the cooler water. I tried pictus in my 90 and they tore my goldfishs tails up.

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chunkdaddy- I know danios don't school too close but they'd be better off in a larger group and I've already fallen in love with the three I have (well, one in particular. Lady is quite the cheeky girl) so I think getting more for them to swim with would be awesome. It's interesting that you haven't had problems with fin nipping and Lynda has... I'll have to look into this more.

Jaysee- I was actually just looking into rainbows when you suggested it. Did some searching and found a few that like the colder waters. They vary a little in size depending on the kind (4-6") but I think a small group of three or so of one kind would be okay?

Here's links to the ones I found
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/murray.php
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/eastern.php
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/lakerebera.php
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/mountain.php
I'm not too sure about the last two, since it says they need a rather high ph.

The boy was actually eyeing the cories the other day when we stopped into the store for a hood. I don't know how taken he was with them but I'll look into the types to see what I could offer him.

Thank you both!

RayRay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so I talked to the boy and he's saying no to any catfish. Not sure why since he loves them but it makes my life easier.

So I'm looking at
3x Gold Zebra Danios
3x Longfin Zebra or Leapord Danios
3x some other kind of danio (need help choosing!)
so that's 9 danios and I'm hoping they'll all school together or at least get along

then there's
3x Dojo loach
3x Eastern Rainbowfish
1 fancy goldfish

I'm planning on upping my filtration to 600 gph (right now I'm only at 300) but I have no idea how much can fit in this tank comfortably, like I said. I look at it and it looks like a ton of room, but I'm completely new to this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom