55 Gallon Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by dennisbro, Apr 25, 2018.

1. dennisbro

dennisbro Valued Member Member

Hey guys . I just setup a 55 gallon the other day , transferred all the filters and media and gravel from a 20 I had and I'm hoping that it'll keep me from having it to cycle it from scratch . Any ways currently I have ordinary gravel in there and I'd like to replace it with sand . So I went ahead and bought a 50lb pool filter sand , since that's what everyone suggests using from other posts lol. And i need a suggestion on how to put the sand in the tank making the least mess possible and what to do to not kill and lose all the bacteria in the gravel . I was thinking putting the sand in and keeping the gravel in bags in the tank to make sure it's fully cycled and then take it out ? That's my first question .

Second , i need some suggestion in stocking because currently I have 2 female blue gourami, 5 zebra Danio, and 5 emerald corys. So what I was thinking is to maybe add a small school or cardinal tetra and also an angelfish and some Kuhli loaches? I read some posts and they say the blue gourami and angelfish tend to get along . So in all make it
    2 blue gourami
    5 Cory - maybe I'll add a few more
    5 danio - maybe add more as well
    10 or so kuhlis
    25 or so cardinals
    And one angelfish .

I think that'd be fair enough if it come to stock , maybe leave out the tetras if anything . Also what kind of plants could I just grow in sand without needing any co2 setups or stuff and for beginners because I never really had much live plants .

Any suggestion or ideas ? I really would appreciate it!! And anything else I should know now having a bigger tank would be great !

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Moving media from the 20 to the 55 is still going to have a minor cycle problem. The media you have is just for 20g...you will need to supplement new media with something like tetra safe start. This will help fill the holes due to the expanded space from 20 to 55.

As for putting sand in. You can remove the gravel and put it in a mesh bag and hope that will keep the tank going but gravel only holds so much.

Either way you will go through a mini cycle. How long it will take? Might be a week since it’s an upgrade vs a lateral upgrade (i.e. changing substrate in the same tank).

3. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Yeah that's what I was thinking , but hoping it would help in cycling tho .

Any help with the stocking idea tho ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

I think you have temp incompatibility

Your Gourami
    Kuhli Loach
    Cardinal
    and Angel Fish requires warmer temp

compared to

Zebra Danio and Emerald Cory

5. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Maybe so but I've had them for quite a bit in a 20 gal and never had a single problem at about 75 f. Always all been really active and seem happy . Also that was one of the stocking plans advised on a previous post on fishlore.

6. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

How long have you had them? Surviving is different from thriving. They do have temp overlaps though and I'm not stocking expert just wanted to give you my opinion. I'll let the other confirm it for us

7. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Maybe closer to a year now ? Not exactly sure of the date . Which ones aren't temp compatible with each other of that I have now ? 2 gourami, 5 corys , and 5 danios

8. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

To move the sand in, get it throughly wet in a bucket, scrap a bowl full out, gently dip the bowl into the tank and when you get it to the bottom of the tank, turn it over, repeat.

9. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

Wouldn't recommend cardinals or anything small with an angelfish. In most cases the angel will eat them when it grts bug enough to fit them in its mouth.

I would just take the gravel out completely. There is that much bacteria in it compared to the filter. I didn't notice a bump in my cycle when I switch from gravel to sand. I was just throughly disgusted with how much "gunk" gravel collects despite gravel vacuuming.

10. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeah and keep a tight lid on that bio-load...it's kinda getting up there! And most of your BB will be in the filter anyway, (THE heart of your condensed BB supply) so keeping some of your soon to be former gravel alive and well, then transplanting any new gravel will assist with the integrity of your BB as well. And I agree with the other posters, as temp is one thing, compatibility another, and adjustment to ph is not as severe of an issue as water temp is. Ehh Angels and Gouramis can sometimes get along. I used to have about 4 some H. Dwarfs get along with about 4 angels. Seems that they cared more about food than fighting lol

11. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Yeah I'll just forget about the cardinals lol . Would it be possible to add a few more female gourami of the same kind ? Because I read keeping females is more safe and mine do get along mostly even tho they pick on each other sometimes , and maybe get an angel but I'm not really sure yet .

12. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Never have I had an angel eat another fish. Their mouths are quite small to fit most fish as well.

13. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

They can be known to peck fish to death though.

14. d

That is true, I also have never experienced any I have kept do that either there is the possibility if there aren't many hiding places.

15. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

I already put the sand in and I'm planning to plant it a lot but I have no idea of how To aqua scape , but hiding spaces shouldn't be a problem.

16. d

The scapeing will be a Trial and error thing. No one knows how to scape when they first get into it. I would draw it out on paper to get an idea of how it would look before hand. It has always worked for me that way.

17. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Oh no just tested the water and ammonia is at .50, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 10 . Is this normal that it's going thru a mini cycle and should I do a water change ??

18. d

Yes do a water change

19. OP
    OP
    dennisbro

Did a water change . I think it's leveling out because there's almost no ammonia for a few days now . Anyone have anything to say about my stocking idea tho?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice